Thread: A question for you who do rescue

A question for you who do rescue

First of all, I'd like to applaud your efforts, you are really doing a good thing. My question is, how do you afford all the spay/neuter operations, and shots? My vet charges $100 per spay and $50 per neuter, and I don't even recall what all the shots cost, but I know it isn't pocket change. How do you do it?

Since K&L are on vacation this week, I can "sort" of answer your questions.

Their Vet knows what they do and works with them, usually giving them a price break and doing special favors for them. They also work closely with a few organizations who TNR, this helps a whole lot!! Also a lot comes from their pocket.

If you are interested in TNR you should check your local phone book. I do know there are websites out there, but I do not know them. I'm sure the other's on this board will help out.
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Thanks. I do have a couple cats in mind. They belong to someone, but they are barn cats. The mother is not even a year old herself (about ten months), and she has one newborn kitten. The father of the kitten might be her brother, he is not neutered.

I don't know how to go about this. The cats belong to someone. She provides food and water and shelter, but not much else. This is normal for many horse barn cats, but it is breaking my heart.

I heard my boss at the shelter explaine it to someone today (for our local rescues ) when someone asked why the adoption fee was one thing at the shelter and more with a rescue orginazation... A vet works with them and gives them a cutrate price on the spaying and neutering... For everyone that is adopted through them, they are able to SAVE TWO LIVES by pulling them out of a kill shelter. The fee paid at the shelter covers ONLY that one cat..(or dog) Hope this helps.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

There's a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in my area that I use for my fosters. They also have a Wellness clinic where you can get the routine shots at a reduced rate. Its a WONDERFUL clinic and allows people who don't make much money to provide some basic care for their pets that they otherwise couldn't afford. The clinic does lots of rescue work as well.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

our organization goes through vets who will give a discount. my particular vet will charge $50 for a spay and 445 for a neuter, but this also varies vet to vet.

for those NOT with an organization, our SPCA has a low cost program and I think the costs are similar.

When I rescue Cat,I generally turn them over to the Aniaml welfare,who rehome them,as I ahcve too amny cats,according to them, and i guess I do,not that my health,is not as good,as when I was younger! The ones that I kept,were spayed,at a set fee,that I could afford! Good Luck,with those Barn cats!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Re: A question for you who do rescue

Originally posted by boscibo
    First of all, I'd like to applaud your efforts, you are really doing a good thing. My question is, how do you afford all the spay/neuter operations, and shots? My vet charges $100 per spay and $50 per neuter, and I don't even recall what all the shots cost, but I know it isn't pocket change. How do you do it?

I rescue. And I don't pay! I foster with Siamese Rescue and they reimburse me for all spay/neuter, all vaccines, all vet exams, all medicines. I have been issued things like flea treatments, worming pills, distemper vaccines, IV fluids, shampoo, snugglies.

The only cost I have to absorb is food and litter, and toys.

I keep right to the rescues schedule for wormings, vaccines, alterings, and reoprt it all on forms on the computer.

But, here's the best part.

My fosters are advertised on the website: siameserescue.org and the adopters find me! No putting up posters, no taking them to pet stores, etc.

They are safe, happy and comfortable, indefinitely, until their family finds them.

You can choose how many or how few you'd like to foster. You can choose what kind of cats, i.e. NO kittens, no large males, pregnant mamas, All kittens, no medically involved cats. Only medically involved cats. The possibilities are almost endless.

They are so well organized and take the burden off the foster parents, it is a wonderful way to just love on cats, who don't have anyone.

Frankly, I couldn't afford the cost of what they put into some of these cats.
    Their adoption fee is low, although it is higher than a shelter. But the difference is: the foster mamas have nursed them through their shelter illnesses for you and you get a healthy cat.

My two from the shelter were immediatly sick with URI when I got them home.
    How many other people was this the case?

Siamese Rescue does pull cats from kill and non kill shelters, humane societies and receives owner give ups.

Rose

I think most communities have a low cost spay/nueter clinic in their area's if you check. Our shelter offers the clinic and only charges $20 nueter and $30 for a spay and 5$ per shot. I think this is great and I think a lot of areas offer this. I hope you can find one in your area.
    Another thing you can do is volunteer for you local shelter and that kind of gives you in with vet care for the strays and needy kitties.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I get a discount rate through my vets office, but usually the ones I rescue get their medical work done through the shelter. I do however buy lots of litter, food, medicines etc. to get them over URIs etc. It isn't cheap at all. I often will take in nursing cats that are abandoned, and keep her and the kittens here till they're old enough to be adopted. You may want to call Friends Of Animals based in New Jersey. I don't know what the charge is now, but they have
    low cost spay/neuter vouchers that many vets will honor. I'd make sure there's a local vet who will take F.O.A certificates first though. 1-800-321-PETS
    http://www.friendsofanimals.org/
    They can be ordered online as well.
    Here's another site with spay/neuter info
    http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html
    If I find more, I'll post them as well!
    Last edited by QueenScoopalot; 07-17-2004 at 09:33 AM.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~