Thread: What happens when you put Frontline on a dog who already has ticks?

What happens when you put Frontline on a dog who already has ticks?

I'm thinking of using Jake's Frontline on my neighbor's dog, Skip.

Skip is actually bigger than Jake was, but it should help a little, don't you think? Jake was 45 lbs and Skip is about 90-100.

What happens if I put it on him and he already has ticks? He has them for sure. Will the ticks just fall off?

His owners are in their 80s and poor as church mice, so please don't judge them. They're caring for him as best they can.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Yes, the ticks should drop off within hours. However, I do believe the dosage increases at 60 lbs., so Skip will need a larger dose than Jake. I don't have the box in front of me. I'm not sure whether they make individual packets in a lower dosage (i.e. dogs under 60 lbs...probably so) Look on Jakes's box and see if if says something like "for dogs 25-60 lbs. If so, Skip would need more than one packet to get the recommended amt. Hope I'm not confursing you...You might want to check with your vet to be sure. Do you think Skip has any infected areas? If he's very tick/flea ridden, he may have some small festering/bleeding areas that need to be cleansed with some hydorgen peroxide; or he might do well with a quick exam from the vet, though I know money is an issue You're a dear, a real angel for offering to help this poor couple..and the doggie Skip
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 07-17-2004 at 12:19 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I don't known if he has any infected areas or not - his fur is just soooooo thick. I'm going to brush him out today, if he'll let me. Kind of gross, though - brushing him when he has ticks. Maybe fleas.

I don't want the neighbors to realize what I'm doing because they might get insulted. They wouldn't know what the Frontline was, probably.

The dosage increases at 50 lbs. Maybe I should use 2? I'll call my vet and ask I guess. Now I can't find Jake's Frontline anyway. Gee. I always put all the dog stuff in the same place and I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Originally posted by stacwase
    The dosage increases at 50 lbs. Maybe I should use 2? I'll call my vet and ask I guess. Now I can't find Jake's Frontline anyway. Gee. I always put all the dog stuff in the same place and I can't find it anywhere.
    I believe when dogs get to a certain weight that is what is done...two of the appropriate amount smaller size are used. So if your is for 50 lbs and he is 100, it should be okay. Checking with your vet is a good idea though.

I gave a dose to my friend for her neighbor's dog becuase he had horrible fleas. Even though it was a lower weight then he was it did help him.