Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split ends and long hair...

Split ends and long hair...

I just got a haircut, due to annoying split ends, and was wondering if anyone else has a problem with them.

I know people with long hair are more prone to getting split ends. The problem with me is I like long hair, and I don't want to cut it *short*. My hair was up to my waist, but I just cut it down to the middle of my back. I know its still long, but I don't want to have to keep doing this everytime I want to get rid of split ends. While they are gone now, after getting several inches of my hair chopped off, I know that they'll be there again in a few months, as usual.

Do any of you know of any products, or anything that nourishes hair in a way that would prevent split ends from happening? I saw an ad about the *Split Ender* hair brush on TV, which supposedly trims 1/8th an inch of every individual hair when you brush your hair with it. Its supposed to get rid of split ends without having to cut your hair. Has anyone tried it? I'm seriously considering getting it. I thought my hair was thinning, but it was not. It was just getting split ends and looking that way, and when I cut it, its always back to normal. I just don't want to have to cut my hair short.

If anyone has problems with split ends, or if you know what can be done to prevent them, please respond.

Up until a few months ago my hair was almost to the middle of my back. I used to get spilt ends all the time, but then I started conditioning everytime I shower with a really thick conditioner. Every now and then I'd also use a hot oil treatment thingy. Not the expensive kind, just the kind that heats up from the heat of the shower. I would leave it in for a few minutes and then once it was rinsed out my hair felt great.

sorry these are both sideways
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I had my hair cut short one time in Elementary School.. NEVER AGAIN. I like my long hair.

I just use Conditioner and it seems to control the split ends. I don't have a really big problem with them now.

I have long hair too...I just hate short hair I don't think I have a lot of split ends, but I do have some. I don't really check that often though lol. I use alot of conditioner every time I wash my hair now.
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

I've heard that the Split Ender is junk. I've never personally used it though.

Have you tried Mane and Tail Conditioner? I used it every single time I washed my hair and I never got split ends. The conditioner is excellent! It makes your hair sooooo soft. (Liana uses the Shampoo on Mickey LOL and you know how gorgeous his fur is!).

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Have you tried Mane and Tail Conditioner? I used it every single time I washed my hair and I never got split ends. The conditioner is excellent! It makes your hair sooooo soft. (Liana uses the Shampoo on Mickey LOL and you know how gorgeous his fur is!).
    Well, that convinces me - Mickey has beautiful fur! I'll have to look for it for my hair! (My hair gets split ends a lot too)

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

My hair is a couple inches below my shoulders. Almost long.

I use this shampoo called infusium 23. It's supposed to restore and correct damaged hair. Makes my hair feel really good!

I use Biolage shampoo, which is REALLY good and makes my hair soft as silk, but I only recently started using it. I must admit I don't use conditioner enough. I do sometimes, but often forget about it. Maybe that's my problem. Does anyone know if Biolage has a good conditioner too? I really like their shampoo.

I used to put olive oil on my hair every time I took a shower, and *never* got split ends when I did that. Its supposed to be a natural conditioner. Ever since I stopped, I got split ends. They're all gone now after the trim, but I just want to do something that will prevent them from happening again. I *hate* short hair. I kept telling the hair dresser *DO NOT cut more than 3 inches off*. He he. My hair is long now, but I don't want to ever have to cut it short because of split ends. Never, ever, ever.

Ok, so if lack of conditioning is the cause of it........what's a good conditioner?

Sirrahsim, what oil treatment thing do you use?
    Last edited by popcornbird; 07-01-2004 at 08:54 PM.

For me its hard to say. I have thick hair. It used to be long, about middle of my back. I had a lot of split ends. I tried many shampoos, no name stuff, TresSemme, European, Outrageos, Daily Defense, Loreal, Tame, Theorie etc and they ALL have the same effect on my hair. Except Outrageos, which makes it shinier.

However, I donated 12 inches of my hair for cancer last month and I'm starting to get split ends again. I haven't found a shampoo that really *works* for me. I guess it's *sorta* like dog food, may work well for one dog, but not for the next.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Originally posted by binka_nugget

I use it on Prince, too. I just started using it recently though. I use shampoo for white-haired dogs and I use the Mane and Tail conditioner.

My mom and I use it, too. We don't have a problem with split ends.

If I use too much conditioner, my hair gets greasy the next day. I don't know if your hair is like that, PCB, just something to keep in mind.

I used to use the Alberto VO5 hot Oil Shower Works Hair Treatment thingy. Below is a link to it. I really think it worked wonders for my hair

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...=BUY-GFI-0-MWS
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

You don't use conditioner usually?

My hair would be one huge knot if I didn't.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

When I used to have long hair my hair would have been so tangled without conditioner. I think using conditioner would help out the problem, but if it makes your hair too oily just use it every other time you wash your hair.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Originally posted by Kfamr
    My hair would be one huge knot if I didn't.
    Same here! No getting a brush through my hair then!

Me too, Kay! I HAVE to use conditioner.

To keep from getting an oily scalp, you just apply conditioner to your ends from the neck down.

When you brush your hair out after a shower, use a really wide toothed comb and brush it from the ends up. This helps prevent split ends.

...RIP, our sweet Gini...