Thread: My cat is sick

My cat is sick

Hi Im new. Anyways I know my cat is sick. Ok. i used to feed my cat alot. he got pretty fat. but he always through up his food. And it would come out whole. Like if he didnt chew his food completly, like he just swallowed it. SO i sorta i gues put him on a diet. i fed him little but at least four or five times a day maybe more. then he started losing weight. but now he is getting prety skinny. ive been working a lot lately but ive noyiced that now he is not eating his food. he real skinny and his breathing is kinda like huffing. i havent had a chance to take him to the vet, but i dont thinbk i want to. he gets scared aroundother people other tha me and my family. i dont know what to do. is he sick? Is he anorexic?

I have no idea what your cat weighs but what worries me is the breathing and not eating. I only can recommend to take him to the vet. With these symptoms it could be anything- from harmless to dangerous.

Cats will never be anorexic but if they don't eat and are more quiet than usual this means they are definitely not ok.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I agree with Barbara - that does not sound normal at all. I'd take the cat to the vet ASAP. Better to be safe than sorry, as our furry friends are experts as masking when they're not feeling well, but not eating is definitely a sign that something is amiss. The breathing problem could indicate a URI, but you won't know unless you have the cat checked by a professional.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Welcome to Pet Talk TomCat. I'm very sorry to hear that your cat is sick. I agree with the others in that you need to take your cat to the vet asap. Cats will stop eating and drinking when they don't feel well. Good luck and please keep us updated.

cat is sick

My cat did that and I found out he had cardiomyopathy (Heart disease) and he is on liquid heart medicine. He was almost dehydrated and dead and that was two years ago. He still throws up once and a while and then I know his lungs are fluidy and I give him 1/2 of a lasix to get rid of fluid. Hyperthyroidism produces similar symptoms but He was checked for that.

got back from the vet. said he was normal on everything. took blood and said everything was fine. checked for heartworms and said he has none. gave him a shot to get his appetite up. So thats all good

7 years ago I had a cat who was older, who lost her appetite. All her chemistry came back normal. She was treated with antacids, mild food, and lots of TLC and bounced back. Good luck with your kitty!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I suggest to you that you get your cat on a more normal feeding schedule. Read that package on the food you are feeding him and follow the directions accordingly. They do not need or require 4 or 5 feedings a day... His problem could simply be you are over feeding him, so he throws it up..

I am glad the checked out fine at the vets so my suggestion is follow a more proper feeding schedule and measured amounts each day with maybe a treat or two a day if he acts like he is hungry inbetween meals. I feed mine Science Diet and they get 1/4 cup (each cat) in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. I use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop out their food.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

my cat is getting much better now. hes more active and his appetite is back. all god news. thanks. heres a pic

Awww - what a sweetie! Glad he is feeling better. Maybe he just needed a little TLC from Daddy. Glad you took him to the vet.

after he found out he was getting a girlfriend he was all smiles

That is toooo cute! What a sweetie he is! Has the girlfriend arrived yet?