Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes

Diabetes

I learned over the weekend that Bandit has diabetes. I'm not really looking for medical advice, he's been to the vet and we started insulin. I have found a diabetes specific support board, I just was wondering if anyone else here has a diabetic dog. My biggest problem right now is getting him to eat. He is refusing almost everything, and if anyone has any tips to share i'd really appreciate it. Or if you just want to talk about it.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about Bandit's diabetes. But as you probably already know, many diabetic dogs and kitties live full and happy lives I've never had a dog with diabetes, but I do have a sugar kitty! After a 2 month course of insulin, he's controlled on special diet alone. I found the diabetic cat online forum to be a great source of info. and support. Fortunately for me, my Mr. B never refused food. I know how important it is for you to be able to balance Bandit's food/insulin dosage. Is he on a special diet, perhaps not to his liking? Has he been a finiky eater in the past? His body chemistry is going through a lot of adjustements too right now and that as well may be affecting his appetite. My advice would be to check back with your vet. And I'm sure those on the diabetic dog site would have a lot of insight on this problem too. I hope all the best for your dear Bandit! I think there are a couple of diabetic dog moms here. Hopefully one will chime in soon! Please give Bandit a big hug for me Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Yes, I have a diabetic dog.

Bear has been diabetic for over 3 years. There are times when he doesn't want to eat, but I know he has to. I have tried several things to get him started. Try one of these.

Water from a can of tuna
    a sprinkle of garlic powder
    a sprinkle of parmesan cheese
    the liquid from a can of cat food (hard for them to resist)
    baby food, meat variety, mixed in
    diced, cooked chicken

Bear lost about 9 lbs over the first year just by being on a controlled diet. He gets exactly 1 cup of Hills WD for breakfast at 6AM with a little cat food liquid on top. (I feed cats at the same time). An hour later he gets one cookie, a dab of peanut butter with his thyroid pill and a shot of insulin. At 5PM he gets 1 cup of WD with a tablespoon of yogurt mixed in, a sprinkle of garlic powder, and 1/4 cup of either chopped brocolli or chopped green beans. At 7PM he gets one baby carrot and another shot of insulin.

And I can't forget what time it is, cause he's sure to remind me

I was a regular on the Pets with Diabetes board on EZboard until recently. They are a really great group. They can give you a lot of good advise and let you vent when you need to. Unfortunately I can only access the net from work and I have been blocked from all of EZboard.

What dose is Bandit on?

Mary

Thanks! Yes, that is the board I found. Bandit is going to the vet tommorrow for an all day curve, so hopefully we'll get it sorted out. I have tried a few of those things for his food, but sometimes he just.won't.eat. It is so frustrating.

So dogs really like garlic powder? I would have never thought so. I'll try a bit of that next time.

I'll confess that I never knew dogs could get diabetes. I always thought that one of my cats might (Especially Bo, since he has had weight problems in the past), so it was a surprise to me.

Just this morning Bear gave me trouble eating his breakfast! He finally ate after I added some watered-down canned dog food and a sprinkle of garlic powder.

Once your vet gets the dosage regulated, the most important thing you can do is to be consistent---- same food amount at the same times, insulin at the same times, few treats, and the same amount of exercise every day at the same time of day. It can be a struggle to get regulated, but keeping things on an even keel will help.

I hope Bandit's regulations goes as well as Bear's did. A good vet helps. The people at Pets with Diabetes are invaluable.

Keep us posted.

Bear

I am so frustrated. Bandit is barely eating anything. Another day in tears for me (plus I got caught speeding today - $181 for the ticket), I get so depressed when he doesn't eat.

The vet couldn't do the curve - he stayed high all day. I picked him up early. They did a test for Cushing's, and from what I have read about it on the Internet, it sounds like that might be his problem. The test results won't be in for a week, so they upped his insulin to 20 units and I don't think it's helping him. The symptoms are not going away. He has slowed down on drinking so much water, but only a little.

I don't know what to do for him. I try feeding him many different things and he refuses almost everything. Tuna, the Mighty Dog that he has been eagerly eating in the past week, Cottage cheese, hot dogs, baby food...he is not eating it. I finally took out the chicken I use on my salads (the stuff that costs $5.00 for a little package) and he ate a few pieces of that. He ate a little bite of a Meaty bone dog treat - that was it. He vomited this afternoon and all it was was foamy yellow stuff, because his tummy was empty. I am so afraid if he doesn't eat, he will die.

I am starting to wonder if putting him down would be the kindest thing for him. I hate this. Bandit is my first dog. I don't know if I can do this.

He ate! This morning he ate a whole packet of Mighty Dog wet, and a whole jar of baby food. I am so happy now. Lately my whole mood goes high and low depending on what Bandit eats.

This may sound very weird, but I am experiencing some psychosomatic symptoms. I started giving him insulin shots last Saturday. I give Bandit his insulin shots in the upper back/shoulder area. This whole week I have had a pain in my upper back/shoulder area, and it is getting severe. I have never had back pain before in my life. It may be because of the stress of this all, but I think it is rather eerie.

I understand so well your fears and depression, boscibo My heart sank when I read your first post then I almost yelped with joy when I read your last. (I'm at the library...you should have seen the looks on the faces of those around me)

When my Jingles (RB) was suffering from liver cancer, it was a constant battle to get her to eat anything...this was the Lab who would come running from upstairs each time the frig door opened!) On days she would eat, my heart would soar, then the next day, she'd eat nothing and vomit up whatever food she did. Bandit does not have liver cancer, but I just wanted you to know I understand exactly what you are going through and it's understandable that you are feeling his pain, both literallly and figuratively

I think the most imprortant thing right now is for you to get a definitive diagnosis. And if you're at all uncertain about your vet's conclusions/treatment, please, do get a second opinion. What has your vet said about his lack of appetitie? Has he given you any advice on how to entice him to eat, what foods to feed and how to regulate his meals according to his insulin dosage? mrufruf has given you a lot of good advice. As said, it can take a while for diabetics to become regulated. I know it's difficult to watch them not be themselves. But try and hang in there, go to the diabetic dog board for support and most of all, talk to your vet! She/he is there to help you and Bandit. I'll be saying lots of healing prayers for your precious Bandit and sending you all my support and lots of postivie thoughts. {{{HUGS}}} Love, Sandra

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Originally posted by tatsxxx11

I think the most imprortant thing right now is for you to get a definitive diagnosis. And if you're at all uncertain about your vet's conclusions/treatment, please, do get a second opinion. What has your vet said about his lack of appetitie? Has he given you any advice on how to entice him to eat, what foods to feed and how to regulate his meals according to his insulin dosage? mrufruf has given you a lot of good advice.
    Thanks. My vet hasn't said much about getting him to eat. Most of the things I've tried have come from the diabetes board. I really hope things get straightened out soon for Bandit, this is so painful.

{{Bandit}} and {{Boscibo}}

I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer, but I sure am praying that everything will straighten out for Bandit, and that he will start eating properly, and that the symptoms will give way. I can only imagine how upset and frustrating that must be.

Bear is on a prescription food. He would LOVE to have Might Dog, but it would create a roller coaster for his blood sugar. It would be better to get Bandit on a prescription food with a little something on top. Usually they will eat once they get a taste of the good stuff.

I know it's hard to get them to eat what's good for them. But they will eat eventually. If you need to, you can feed him dry food as a treat---"sit, Bandit" (a few pieces of kibble), and repeat.

Didn't your vet stress the special diet? It makes a world of difference. Maybe a second opinion is in order.

Please don't give up. Once Bandit is used to eating twice a day at the same times and his insulin is determined, he'll be the dog you used to know.

Mary

I got some w/d from the vet, but until today he wouldn't touch it. I was more concerned with getting him to eat anything at all. His appetite is definitely coming back! He has eaten what I would call his normal level today - including the w/d! We are still waiting patiently for the results of the Cushing's tests. I hope his appetite stays good, upping the insulin has helped. When I talked to the vet today he said we'd probably have to up it again, but for now I'm ecstatic.

What great news!!! I'm SO happy for you and Bandit Fingers and paws crossed that he continues to eat well! Good job, Bandit! Keep us updated on the test results. Hugs to you sweet Bandit

I'm so glad he's starting to eat! The WD will help lower his blood glucose and give the insulin a chance to work. It might take a week to get the levels down.

I hope the Cushings test is negative or at the very least, inconclusive. Diabetes is a tough thing to handle but from what I've read, Cushings is harder.

Please tell me more about Bandit. What kind of dog is he, how old, etc. Picture?

Mary

He is definitely eating normally again, even the w/d. The vet is going to order some w/d dry for me, I didn't want to order a huge bag unless I know he will eat it.

Bandit is a 13 year old Border collie/lab mix. I adopted him when he was 4 months old, he and his siblings were found in a State Park in a box one very cold February day. The people who found him brought him to my vet's office, it was very close to the park. They nursed the puppies back to health, and a few months later I was in buying cat food and I mentioned I was thinking about getting a dog...they said they had a nice one that needed a good home, so I met him and the next day brought him home.

When he was younger I took him everywhere with me. We walked a lot of miles exploring the parks and public areas around here.

A few years ago he did something to his back end. We figure he came down our back steps too fast, and he did some nerve damage to his hind end. That was back in 2000, he has had very limited mobility since then. We cut back on his food, but he still managed to gain weight.

He still enjoys his daily walks, and goes out in our fenced yard a few times a day, but these days he prefers to be an inside dog. He spends a lot of time sleeping.

It is so sad, he used to be such an energetic, always ready to go type of dog.

He's been a good friend to me.