Thread: candles & cats....oh no!

candles & cats....oh no!

Here is a scary story that happened last weekend: We had company over for dinner last Saturday, and had some candles burning on the coffee table. Well, one of our kitties came downstairs to make his 'grand entrance' as we call it. This consists of walking down the stairs slowly, then walking to the back part of the house and around through the dining room and into the living room so that he is facing all of us (this way we are sure to see him!). He does this the same way every time. The next thing he does is stop and look around at everyone, while we all go 'oh, look at the pretty kitty' THEN he walks over to the coffee table and walks slowly around it while receiving pets and scratches and of course compliments! On about his 3rd time around the coffee table, his fluffy tail flipped to the side and caught fire! I was freaked! Fortunately I was sitting only a couple feet away and quickly grabbed his tail with my hand and ran it up to the end of his tail, putting the flame out. His hair is so thick on his tail that he did not even know it had been on fire! He turned around a gave me this look like 'what the heck are you doing with my tail? Stop it Mom!' There is no telling what could have happened if we had not been sitting right there- I don't even want to think about it. So now, there are no more candles burning unless they are up on the top of the hearth where the cats can't get to (at least I don't think they can). Either that or they need to be kept upstairs if we burn candles, but that won't be too often, because I love having my cats around most of the time. I just had to post about it so that you all will keep it in mind when burning cadles, because I know that I had never even thought about it being a problem- at least not when we were sitting right there.
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

Good point spencer
    I was about to recommend the same thing. As I have a halogen floor lamp. And it does not take much at all to tip it. I always make sure to turn it off when i am gone (or asleep).

oh no.......I would NEVER leave a candle burning and then leave the house! I was just trying to make the point about candles & cats being something to be careful about, EVEN WHEN YOU ARE SITTING RIGHT THERE. That was my point. Who in their right mind would leave candles burning when they leave the house? As for halogen lamps- heard of them, but I really don't know exactily what they are. Call me slow, but I'm not sure.........

Yorkster,
    I am so sorry, but at the same time, glad, about your experience. I have "nosy" kitties too..and I love candles. I can promise you that I watch like a hawk when I have one lit, and I'm glad you did the same thing. Hope your hand didnt' get burned, putting out the "tail fire" on your kitty.
    My curious cat, Butter, would burn every whisker off his face investigating, if I didn't have him "out" when I light a candle.

Logan

Yorkster, here's my very similar story that I posted previously:

Max's folks, I had forgotten about a similar incident I had with Cosmo, who had a big, bushy tail. He, also, had his own rules and was on the coffee table when his tail passed through the flaming candle. I was horrified to see it catch fire, so I reached for him. He thought I was reaching for him to throw him off the table, so he ran, so I ran after him, so he ran faster, all the while the flames shooting off his tail! I can laugh now, but believe me, I was not laughing then! I don't even remember how it was resolved now, but fortunately his tail was so hairy the fire never went down to his skin.

Spencer: Oh, now I understand what a halogen lamp is- doh! 4-feline house: how scary, that sounds even worse than what happened to us. The kitty was running around? Besides the harm it could have done to your cat, it could also start a fire.......Yeah, I know what you mean that you can (kind of) laugh about it now. People I tell it to get a kick out of it, but the potential for disaster was huge. Glad it turned out okay for you.

Yikes, what frightening stories! I never leave a room any longer when a candle is burning. Between the dogs and cats, no where to place a candle that is safe! Even the electric stove, which I HATE!! When the burner is on low, or having just been turned off, it remains hot, yet does not glow red. The kitty's can't "see" and flame to avoid! Twice now they have accidentally stepped on the burner while it was still hot. Once, Lizzie's tail got singed as it brushed over it! Now I place a kettle with water on any burner that is heating up or cooling off!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

A horrible experience, pretty scaring! Luckily nothing happened to your kitty!

I have had my own experiences with cats and candles: When my Katz (RIP) was still a kitten, she burned her whiskers in the flame, since that day I'm only lightening candles here in my place when they're totally out of reach for a cat!
    Last Easter, Luna and I visited friends and I've almost had an argument with my friend because they had a candle burning on the dining table and when Luna jumped on it, I hold my hands around the flames to protect her. My friend thought I was exaggerating, but I know I'm not!

Kirsten

tatsxxx11- that is a good idea to put a kettle of water on the burner. I'll have to try that, since we have electric burners too.

I don't burn any candles at all, cats are so quick and with Sundance's long hair I would be really worried. When I leave the house at night I leave the kithen light on (ceiling mounted) and turn off the other house lights in case he knocks them over, they are not halogen but I don't want to take chances!

Yorkster, the exact same thing happend to my Cat and fortunately I was sitting right in front of the Candle when her Tail caught on Fire. She never knew what happened until she started to groom herself and smelled her Tail. Now I only burn Candles during a Storm when the lights go out, like last night. But I dont have to worry, because the Cats are hiding under the Bed during a Thunderstorm.
    Sandra, I know what you mean about the electric burners. I also put a Pot of cold Water on the just turned off burners if I have to leave. My Cats dont usually jump on the Kitchen Counter. But you never know what they're going to do, when you're gone. A few times on my way to work, I turned around just to double check that the Stove was turned off.

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

Thank goodness a possible tragedy was averted by quick human intervention!

Reminds me of an episode a few years ago on America's Funniest Animal Videos (or some similar TV show) which has the camera set up and pointed at a couch with about 3 people watching TV facing the camera. Behind the couch is a ledge with a candle burning. A cat leaps up at one end on the back of the sofa and proceeds to walk across the entire length behind the heads of the people. About midway his tail catches the flame from the candle! Nonplussed, and within a couple of strides and swishes, he gracefully extinguishes his own tail fire! The cat and the people were oblivious; it was priceless!

Another favorite video comes to mind - the cat who insisted upon sleeping on top of the TV set, despite ALWAYS slipping off! He repeatedly fell asleep, fell off, then jumped right back on to do it all over again!
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

WOW I'm so glad this was brought up. You know I've never even thought about this. I burn candles all the time. I like the really smelly ones to make my place smell like lilacs or mulberry and never thought about one of my cats getting burned. This is an excellent warning for me - thanks so much!!!!!