Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you get your cat?

How did you get your cat?

How did you get your cat? Post to this forum and say it.
    How I got my cat was this. She was in my grandmas yard and she is alergic to cats so she called us and we came and picked her up. We put up posters seeing if any one owned the cat and no one did. So we kept her and all the kittens (at least 10 of them). Then my family had money problems and we had to get rid of all the kittens but not fally. Fally was really sad and lonely. She became really scared and wouldnt let any one go any where near her. When she finally got used to me I was really happy she wouldnt let me leave her site like I was her kitten i thought how happy she must be and i was happy to and then we moved and all was sad.

------------------
    home is where the heart is no matter what happens

And....why were we sad? Did you not take the cat with you when you moved? That was great of you to take in a cat that needed a home plus her kittens!!!

Sammi: Here's the rest of Fally's story, told a few days ago:
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/Forum12/HTML/000163.html

Everyone else is probably bored with my tales, but you're new, so I get to tell it again!!
    Mimi came to me when she was six weeks old, the product of a brother/sister marriage! She will be 12 in June, and is still going strong.
    Butter found us at the first of this year. It was cold outside and he just stayed on my front porch. I finally gave in and invited him inside. He's never left!!

Shadow (2 yr. old black DLH female) and Whisper(2 yr. old gray tabby DLH male)came to live with me when their original owners were moving and could no longer care for them. Callie, my 1 yr. old orange tabby female, came to us after someone had thrown her out of a truck on a side road and my fiancee pulled over to pick the little kitten up. Lucky for me and her, he was there to rescue her.

I was in GA for spring break and saw the cutest kitten on a corner. She was teared up with bites from bugs and was dirty from dust and leaves and dirt that clung to her fur. We took her to the vet, got her vaccinated, and bought her a collar. We named her Moon and even though she had to travel with us 1,200 miles to get back home, we made it and she is sitting in my lap right now.

------------------
    People who think they cannot buy love have never bought an animal.

I have eight cats but then, I'm just a big softie for a sad story! from eldest to youngest I'll briefly outline the situations:

Puca: I wanted a black cat, but she was actually pushed on me as she had no home. She's tabby.

Juju: My black cat! But she was very ill, and subsequently very nervous and unfriendly. She's a very beautiful cat and it our towns Fire Brigade mascot!( In Europe black cats are very lucky!)

Willow: A georgeous grey, no home. As it turns out she has food allergies, so she's high maintenance.

Candi & Pearl: Grey tabby, and full grey. No home and very very ill, so I just couldn't walk away. The lived, to all our amazement!

Harry: Long haired full black. I just fell in love, he was last in the litter, will no home offer.

Rufus: Also longhaired, ginger & white. Dh wanted him, no home offers. click here to see him!http://catoftheday.com/archive/2001/March/17.html

Merlin: Was very ill and underweight. The owner wanted to put him asleep, so, I asked them if I could take him and see what I could do. It was touch and go for a while, but now we have the shiniest, healthiest cat and guess what? he's also full black!

Sorry but it seems that there isn't a link to Rufus from that address I just posted. I don't know if there is another way to do it, but if you're interested you can see him in the catoftheday achive for March!

Tonight is my one-year anniversary with Trixie. My 19-year-old cat, BeeBee, had gone over the Rainbow Bridge 6 months earlier and I finally felt almost ready to welcome a new cat into my heart but planned on waiting until school was out for the summer (I teach school.) I had gone to a friend's house and he told me to check out one of his little-used rooms. When I opened the door, four 8-week-old kittens about bowled me over! They belonged to a girl that my friend was dating at the time and he had arranged to have the kittens there as a surprise for me. Although I wasn't prepared at home - no food, no litter, no toys - I couldn't resist taking the cutest, most rambuntious baby of the bunch home with me.

Trixie was such a wild child that two weeks later I went to the ASPCA to get her a much-needed playmate. I had my heart set on finding a Holstein cat (I grew up with Holstein cows - but you would probably say I was looking for a tuxedo cat) but fell in love with a precious orange and white kitten with a nonstop motor. Bo had a name and a home within about two minutes.

Sometimes the best things in life don't go according to our plans. We've got to be willing to monitor and adjust (teachers will know exactly what I'm talking about.)

I know what you mean about planning, or lack of it when it comes to acquiring pets. Of all my cats, only two were planned. I adopted Zebo at the Irving pound. He's been at the rainbow bridge 5 years now. Toot was adopted from a neighbor's litter. I told her if any of them were orange boys I wanted one. While her cat was still pregnant she moved to a neighboring town. About two months later there was a knock on my door, and there was Coleen, with a six week old orange and white baby boy cat. Toot shortly followed Zebo to the rainbow bridge. All my others came to me unplanned and unexpected, but were loved and welcomed just as much as Toot and Zebo were.

I found my Alexander hiding in the engine of my Grandfather's car (luckily he was away visiting my aunt so the car wasn't being driven). I had been planting tulip bulbs when I heard Napoleon (my Tuxedo cat who stayed with my dad when I got married) growling through the screen. I investigated, and heard the engine of the car meowing. My dad crawled underneath and pulled out a dusty, greasy kitten. We knew we couldn't keep it--Napoleon would kill it for sure. Alex stayed in the spare bedroom for almost six months until he was big enough to defend himself. Napoleon hated Alex's guts until the day I got married and took Alex with me. Alex thought his big brother was wonderful, though--wrestling with him, chasing him, talking to him all the time, "pretending" to hunt him...
    Nellie was a foster kitty who decided to stay. You can't say no to Nellie. She's too sweet, too loud, and too persistent. Alex was fearful and hostile, but slightly less so than with my previous fosters, so my husband and I thought we'd give it a shot. The two furballs are now best of enemies. They enjoy stalking and chasing each other.

I still can't figure out why Alex was so crazy about Napoleon, but hasn't liked my foster cats who were friendly to him.

The way I got Luna isn't very spectacular...
    I got her in June last year - as a baby of six weeks.
    After my Katz died on May 3, I soon decided to get another cat, and I was told by my brother-in-law's mother that friends of her would have a cat that just gave birth to a litter of 5 kitten. So I've visited them and saw these five tiny babies in their box - absolutely adorable! Two of them were already adopted (but still with their mom), and the rest looked totally alike, so I didn't chose one of them but let the cats chose me instead. The one that stayed by my side was Luna.
    A few weeks later, the owner of Luna's mom told us that the kitten were ready to be adopted (I know six weeks is very young, but I had the impression she wanted to get rid of them) and when I came, Luna's litter mates already went to their new homes. That was last year on June 5, and so Luna's living with me for almost one year now!

Kirsten

------------------

www.lunas-little-world.de.vu
    www.cats-in-the-net.de.vu
    www.pet-cemetery.de.vu

I got Jewel eleven years ago from a lady that worked with my mom. She had two cats have kittens at the same time. Since I have gotten married and moved, Jewel doesn't want to live with me. She wants to stay at my parents house. So I let her. Now I have two four week old kittens. I got them from another lady that works with my mom. A stray cat had them under her trailor. A week ago the mama was hit by a car. We have had them ever since. They are named Smokey and Bear.

I was walking through my university parking lot after class a year and a half ago. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw what I thought was a tiny black bird walking around. When I looked closer, I noticed it was a scared kitten. Incredibly underweight and frail, she was a sad sight. She was trying to follow people but the second they'd turn around to pet her, she'd run under a car. After about 45 minutes of sweet talking her and several close calls at catching her, I told her that was enough games. I told her I was taking her home and I'd take care of her, then I just grabbed her, turned her on her back and cradled her like a baby. She began purring and that was the formation of our bond. We've been inseperable since that evening. She sleeps on my chest and follows me everywhere. She is truly a joy. A few months after I got Shiloh, my dog Dessi died. I believe Shiloh was a gift from God to help me deal with the death of my beloved 14 yr old labrador. I love my kitty so much and wouldn't trade her for the world.

The vet estimated she was about 7 months when I got her in September so I decided to celebrate her birthday on Valentine's Day.

Here's a pic of her and her little brother Reece.

[This message has been edited by aly (edited May 15, 2001).]

I'll start with the inside babies first:

Critter came with my husband when we got married. Joey had rescued him from the pound.

Bruce was one of a litter that Worf (outside baby) had. We found homes for his other two brothers.

Colonel was a stray that a co-worker found near his home and gave to me.

Outside babies:
    Dixie and Cletus (brother and sister basset hound/terrier mixes) were found in our yard as puppies. Someone had just dumped them there.

Daisy (beagle mix) was found along side a highway when she was a puppy. As there were no houses around and she was only about 8 weeks old, I brought her home.

Several of our fifteen outside babies just walked up one day and started eating our cat food. Others were born to our cats. All of our cats have now been fixed; but, as you can imagine, it was impossible financially to get them all fixed at once. Soooo, some of my girls got themselves in a little bit of trouble before we could get them fixed.

But, no matter how we got them, we love each and every one!