Thread: Fisters Journey: A day in the life …

Fisters Journey: A day in the life …

Things have settled down nicely at the Fister residence nowadays. He has accepted his role as Lord and Master with grace and bearing, and having reached his 8th year, is becoming quite a laid back old codger.

This is the life!

… that is, when he doesn't suddenly get "THE URGE". This only happens occasionally (nearly always the weekend funnily enough) but can be quite annoying. The urge is of course to visit his old childhood home, the back yard. He is sometimes allowed out during the day, but it doesn't really interest him. No, it's the late night walkabout he's interested in.
    He will suddenly become completely impossible, wandering about miawing and crying, usually ending up in the kitchen catawauling so loudly we're afraid he'll wake the neighbors! When he gets no reaction from us, he will retaliate by wandering round the house opening every cupboard door that he can find (a classic sign of frustration), finally going into a sulk or creeping back to us in bed with a very disgruntled look on his face. It's interesting to note that he never made a sound for the first few years he was with us, but he certainly learned how to attract attention by listening to his fellow boarders at the cat pensions!

Having some afternoon fun in his old back yard

His indoor territories are clearly defined (he has about 8 of them!), the bed is now HIS property, the food and room service satisfactory and he gets his daily brushing at 4 o'clock every afternoon.
    Not bad for a timid, confused kid from the wrong side of the tracks.

Brush me NOW!

The only bone of contention still surviving from the old days is the question of Randi's pillow. But this was the one battle that he didn't win. Randi fought a long, hard and very brave campaign with him over a period of several years, and now he seems to have more or less accepted the fact that he only has rights to about a quarter of it. Our one and only victory!

Before

After

The bed itself though, is another matter. It has been interesting to watch how his habits have evolved with time, but the bed rituals have stayed more or less stable. As I often lie in bed to watch television in the evening, he has found the perfect place to chill out, draped across my chest and stomach, purring up a storm. An hour or two of this, and he will retire to his armchair for a while, have a snack or check out the windows. When Randi comes to bed (guess what SHE is doing in front of the computer screen!), he will give us a couple of minutes to settle down, and then he will be back. But now it is time for the most important ritual. First he will trample across me to the middle of the bed, then he'll wander up and down between us 3 or 4 times, sometimes pausing as if meditating or for a quick head bump. This done, he will take another couple of clumsy hikes backwards and forwards over me, sometimes stopping for a rest and sitting on my chest, like a predator gloating over his vanquished prey. He's over 7 kilos, he doesn't walk carefully, and it can really hurt! After that it will be the "battle of the bread". He just loves pounding and kneading away at our expensive down eiderdowns as if his life depended on it. He is nearly unstoppable, and has ruined several covers already.
    Then he needs a cuddle and a couple more head bumpies, before tucking himself into a neat tortellini between our pillows and purring us to sleep.

Sluurp!

… that is of course, if he doesn't get the other urge - the absolute and essential need to wash himself NOW even if it is right next to our ears. It's incredible how stubborn he can be, especially considering how timid he normally is. He scrapes and slurps and scratches and gasps, purring at full volume, practically nothing will stop him. We shout and we hiss and we push him around - no reaction. Even a severe battering on the head makes no impression. Usually, the only solution is our submission or his forced, violent ejection. Then he will either go under the bed in a huff and continue his wash (sometimes banging his head rhythmically against the bottom of the bed so we can't sleep), or wander off into the kitchen for a snack. When he thinks we've forgotten all about it (after about 3 minutes usually!), he will creep sheepishly back and try to continue where he left off. But this time he knows the situation, and a couple of solid bashes to the head will quickly put a stop to that. Then there will come the heart felt persecuted sigh, and he will curl up, tuck his nose carefully under his tail and entertain us with a symphony of purrs before sinking into a deep, contented sleep.

Yes, life is GOOD when you know how to train your bipeds!
    Last edited by jonza; 06-21-2004 at 02:48 PM.

"Peace cannot be achieved through violence,
    it can only be attained through understanding."
    Albert Einstein

Aw, Fister, you handsome boy you! Looks like you really have settled in as Lord of the Manor!

You even mastered the sarcastic laying possition. I see you using it on Randi's pillow. Like, "I really deserve the entire pillow but if I must share!"
    Leonardo does that when I tell him to lay down and go sleepy when he wants to take a bath by my head. He flops over and looks at me upside down like: "OK! Is this what you want?"

I get brused daily from Chester strolling over me when I'm in my recliner trying to watch tv. Like "Hello, there's a person sitting here!" He thinks, "I know and I wish you would get out of my way!"

Please keep us informed of all your journeys!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fister, you sure have settled in nicely. I see that you have found the perfect dirt pit to roll yourself into.

Fister, Tigger wants you to know that she had the same bedtime ritual and she loves to take baths between her meowmie and paw paw. Meowmie does not approve of these bath as she says something about BAD BREATH!!! I haven't the faintest clue what she is talking about.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Oh my what cute and wonderful pictures AND a great story.

Hee! Look at your snaggle tooth, silly boy

Ori and Wilber have something to say:
    Fister, it looks like you almost have pawpaw and meowmie completely trained. The only thing left to do is force them to realize you are letting them sleep on YOUR bed so you may bathe wherever and whenever you please
    Last edited by CatMama78; 06-22-2004 at 09:32 AM.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

Oh Fister! Your Daddy (PawPaw?) has a way with words. My eyes are tearing up chuckling at your antics!!!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I keep going back to the 'after" picture and laughing. It reminds me of when I was a kid and had to share my sister's bed while grandmother was visiting. My sister told me I could only have 1/8 of the bed...and she meant it. I believe I wore the same expression as Fister at the time. Disgruntled!

Poor Fister, only quarter of the pillow. Don't worry, you'll have them re-trained

Nice to see you again!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

What great pictures and commentary! I loved the whole picture show and story. I have to say fister that it sure looks like you have a very rough life! Poor baby!!

I am with Edwina's secretary! I keep going back to the AFTER picture for another chuckle. I love that expression on Fister's face. I have seen that same expression on Dylan's face when I try to use what used to be My pillow!! (and it is KINGSIZED!!)
    Funny boy Fister!!! You surely are a tortented and abused kitty aren't you now??

There is something wonderful , about a Mature Cat, so calming and gentle , and Fister, and The Found Cats are so serene , in thier Dotage!All they need are thier Cat Old Age Pension Cheques!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I really needed a Fister fix this am! I can't ever tire of Fisterisms.

John's stories about Fister are always funny. And Fister is such a handsome pumpkin

Ah Fister, if I didn't already have a lovely orangie just like you, I'd be knocking down the door of the local shelter begging them for one! You are a very special young man!

Oh a lovely John and Fister tale (tail?! )

Gorgeous pics too - wonderful!!

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx