Thread: Vitamins/supplements for minimizing itching?

Vitamins/supplements for minimizing itching?

Hello.

Every spring/summer of her 2 y.o. life, my dog seems to get skin allergies. She usually responds by licking herself. My vet gave us some meds and they have worked but I'm wondering if there is anything non-medicinal and over-the-counter that I could try.

Kona and I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks.

Anita

Couple of suggestions

Benedryl gel caps are usually good if you see the allergy coming on, and then early in the process.

Fish oil or specifically the Omega-3 fatty acids have some anti-inflammatory properties. Also Vitamin-E (dry form) seems to help the skin in healing.

Killian takes Salmon Oil and Vitamin E for his skin.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Brewer's yeast

Brewer's yeast works great for skin and fleas. It works good for coats and helps ease itching. Just make sure the dog isn't allergic to yeast. My scooby is allergic to fleas and yeast. It takes a few days to get into their system but it works. It has made a huge difference in Dirtnap! He is an older Eskimo spitz and he is just looking and feeling better after being on it. He actually reminds me to give him his pills!!!
    Good luck!!!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Here is a good tip that I think will work.
    I thought my Corgi was just having normal allergies like itchy skin, so I supplemented vitamin E and used benadryll when it seemed to bother him the most, but none of that worked. Then one day I went to a dog show and a handler told me that his food was probably the problem with his skin. When I changed his food from Bil-Jac to Canidae, every single problem we had with him went away, even the reoccuring bladder stones he always got that the vet said would never stop coming. The cause is the high amounts of corn, wheat, by-produts, and preservatives found in all store-bought brands of food. His coat is now gorgeous, his weight was stabilized, and his coat turned from brittle and brown to bright, soft, thick, and a rich red color. It's definitly the best thing we've ever done for him.

If this example was not enough, go to the website and click on "Canidae Testimonials" on the left side. It has some "before & after" pictures of dogs who switched to canidae.

www.canidae.com
    Go to :
    www.canidae.com for the best dog and cat foods ever made!!! It did wonders on my pet.