Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think Alex is going to die

Hybrid View

I think Alex is going to die

I hate writing this, but I need PT prayers now. Alex, my cockatiel, looked sick Saturday, but then after a little while was fine. When I woke up today she was on the bottom of the cage and breathing heavy, but still able to walk around and get on the perches. I took her to the vet immediately and the outlook is not too good. They think she has a respiratory infection and the exam alone left her looking terrible . Alex is being hospitalized over night and they are taking x-rays. Please pray for Alex. I don't want her to die, but I don't want her to suffer either. I can't write anymore, I'm starting to cry again
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Pretty Alex will be in our prayers. Keep us updated!

Oh, poor little Alex. We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed that she survives.

{{{hugs}}}

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Prayers and healing thoughts are on the way out to you, poor Alex
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Poor baby Alex. I'm praying for her, and hoping she'll come through and be just fine. Please get well baby Alex.

My prayers with you little Alex, poor birdie

It'll be okay

Alex has mine & Diego Joe's thoughts & prayers. I understand what you mean. I just know Alex will pull through! If not Alex will be happy & join my cockateil somewhere over rainbow bridge. ALEX FEEL BETTER! I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! Diego Joe sends his wishes.

Rainbow Bridge Baby>>

Oh no! Prayers on the way for poor Alex.

Oh, Diana, I'm so sorry to hear this. Alex will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs..Robin

Prayers coming for you and sweet Alex. Please keep us updated.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Wow is all I can say. We are still not out of the clear and Alex is still considered in critical condition, but wow. She is home after her overnight stay. I honestly never thought I'd see her alive again, but she is sitting here right by the computer. I feel like I'm going to cry again, but it's because I'm happy. Alex had not one, but two eggs stuck in her. The breathing problems were because her air sacs were constricted. They took x-rays and removed the eggs through her vent. We were prepared for full out surgery, but it was unnecessary. Alex is still under close watch and I have her in the little cage so I can monitor everything better. She is on two different medications. The first is to up her calcium and the second is and antibiotic. The bad news is she can never live with Danny again. I'm thinking of having everything removed so this never happens again, but even if I do the doc says they still shouldn't live together. Also since she is in egg making mode, this can happen again in a few days. Like I said, just because she’s home doesn't mean she is going to make it, but I feel a lot better about this than I did yesterday. Keep those PT prayers coming, they really work! I won't tell you what mutiple of 100 I have spend already, but when I bought her 7 years ago I never thought I'd spend so much on her. I'm glad I did. Alex was about $90 when I got her and that's how much the ER appointment was just to walk through the door. I don't care about the money. Even if she doesn't make it at least I know I did everthing possible. Here is a pic of her right now. If you saw her yesterday, on the bottom of the cage trying to breath, you'd be amazed. This is one tough little chick!
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

I'm so glad she's doing better!!!! What a scare! You're such a good mommy! ^_^

I'm so glad to hear she's better now! What a cutie Alex is! I think this is the first time I've seen a picture of her. I'll be praying that she recovers well, and that she's back to her healthy self in no time! Get well soon little birdie!

OMG! I read of her illness and was praying for her. Felt guilty gloating about our "baby" when your precious girl was so sick. So she was eggbound! From what I understand many of these females will lay eggs, regardless of whether in the company of a male or not. I guess maybe being together "revs" them up a little bit more. I know that Milly have certainly produced some eggs in the last 5 months, and obviously, at least one was fertile!

I hope she will be ok, Diana. I know you have been worried sick. Please give her a little head scratch from me.

Logan

Taking her away from the male will not stop her from laying eggs. Even hens than have never been with a male lay. There is nothing you can do about it. Seperating her from her mate may do more harm than good. I would talk to some tiels owners and breeders and see what they have to say about it. At least keep their cages next to eachother if at all possible and allow them time outside of the cage together supervised. They can get lonely pretty quick.

I am SO happy to hear she pulled through last night. I have a feeling she will be just fine. You are such a good mommy taking her in right away! You saved her life!
    Last edited by luckies4me; 06-05-2004 at 03:32 PM.