Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does your cat eat things other than cat food?

Does your cat eat things other than cat food?

My cat Polly, eats flies, birds( she really kills them), hamsters, cheese, and other things she brings in the house that I can't make out.

Does your cat eat other things besides cat food?

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: fun 4 u ]

Originally posted by fun 4 u:
    <STRONG>&lt;snip&gt;
    Does your cat eat other things besides cat food?</STRONG>
    Lamoni loves plants. At many events where I am an usher, I receive a Carnation butonier. These whit carnations are wrapped in green leaves and enhanced with whit "Babies Breath".

Lamoni loves Babies Breath! He also loves green leaves. When he is chewing on a plant he purrs so loudly. The only time that he will get up in my lap is to eat my Carnation.

My old vet said that this would not be likely to hurt him. He said that something close to a pound of plant material might hurt him but a flower a day would not.

I can't get my wife flowers on holidays and occasions because the boy cat just eats them.

When I sat on a big spider some years ago, that spider retaliated before it died. I got a sever infection and finally had to go in for surgery on my seat to clear it out. We called this a "rear end alignment". The surgeon sent a plant to my house the following day. It aided my recovery to lay on my back and have my furry friend on my stomach chewing on my "get well" plant.

Fifi, on the other hand, could care less about live plants. She loves most people food. She will come and sit on the arm of the chair. As you bring your fork to your mouth there will be this soft gray paw come hook the inside of your wrist and divert that fork to her mouth.

She also loves ice cream, including chocolate. Yes, chocolate. Now, I do mean fat free chocolate flavored soft serve. I get these wonderful frozen bars on a stick from the food service company (I love in-home food delivery). When I get done, I let Fifi lick the stick.

I limit her to a teaspoon a day for vanilla and half of that for light chocolate. No dark chocolate.

Hey! I was real mad at Fifi one day. She had a litter box problem and had "presented" me twice in one day. Now she came to my feet begging while I was eating a chocolate ice cream bar. In frustration I said, "Here B... er ... Here Fifi. See if you like this!" I figured that if it killed her THAT would solve the problem and make her happy.

She survived! We got rid of the carpet that had trapped growing mold. The mold pools were giving off an oder that she felt deserved going on. We have removed all of that type of carpet from the house and now she uses the LitterMaid just like Lamoni does.

Last night I was asleep on the couch. I looked up and the two of them were sleeping in the same chair. The one moment that I wished for a camera.
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

Bo will eat any insect she can catch. Then she promptly vomits it back up !

Two of our cats (kittens really: Twidgit and Ashton), will try to help our dog eat his food. The pieces are so big, they can barely pick them up.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Noah eats:
    Brocolli, collard greens (bunny eats these), pumpkin (while carving them during Halloween), ice, and basically anything mommy (me) is eating.

Last night, he stalked, killed and ate a spider!!! I am SO proud of my little boy!!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Ritz is the best fly catcher around. She eats it too, (blech)...I have to watch this time of year because the occasional wasp gets inside...she is so adept at this she can jump at a fly in mid air and catch it between her paws. GOOD KITTY.

She has also caught a mouse, but I think she considers this a really wiggly toy - has never attempted to eat one, just tortures the living daylights out of the little critters and slobbers all over them. (I think they remind her a lot of her toy mice)
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

My cats eat all the insect they can catch, mostly flies...
    But the also love weird things... Gucci and Tsoomi are bothe crazy about olives, Tsoomi will actually eat almoast anything...The kittens love ice cream..
    And of course any cheese or meat...

Former User Guest
    Originally posted by fun 4 u:
    <STRONG>hamsters,</STRONG>
    HAMSTERS?

That is sooo funny charles! My cat is actually scared of plants, but that's just her!

That is just like my dog bo's mom!

Fuzzy, my dog is the one who thinks Polly can't finish her food! She gets mad at Daisy, but when Polly leaves, Daisy is ready for more cat food!

Noah was probably sad that Halloween ended soooo fast!

tuxluvr,,that is a good cat! In the summer, my dog does the most fly catching than Polly!

Efrat, my cat's favorite thing to eat( used to be ROAST BEEF or fish) is cheese and jerky!!!!!!!!!!!!!

casper that just made me soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad when polly ate my hamster, Furby!

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Phred ]

fun4u.....One morning I was getting ready for work and there was a fly buzzing around the light above the bathroom mirror. Ritz was pacing back and forth with excitement because I was "in the way" and she couldn't reach the fly. I finally picked her up so her front paws were hanging free and put her up to the area and SNAP!!! she nailed it, kept her paws together until I put her on the floor again, and she quickly maneuvered mr. fly into her mouth. I had an afterthought that it probably wasn't a wise move on my part - I could have been caught in kitty claw blender in the process, but as it turned out, it was perfectly executed..

Furry flyswatter

For a rather rotund kitty, she does have great reflexes! Good Ritzy!

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: tuxluvr ]

14. Wow Tuxluver! I am soooo impressed with that story! Could Ritz come and give Edwina lesson please??? She likes insects but she just sits in the funny straight up way and WATCHES them -- intently and forever. She will occasionally reach out and sort of push them with her paw. I have tried to model the behavior of swatting the bug dead. When I do she just looks up at me with a "How could you??? I was playing with that!"

Edwina's S...the funny thing is, she doesn't care for the scads of ladybugs that frequent the house certain times of the year...too crunchy I guess....just the flies. She has chased down and caught a mouse before, but unlike her toy fur mouse, the real ones "wiggle" when she tries to pick them up in her mouth, which results in this silly behavior, Ritz, picks up the mouse in her mouth, mouse wiggles, cat "spits" mouse out, flinging it across the room...

Since she is not in need of sustenance from wild things, I think she looks at a real mouse and the coolest toy mom ever brought home..

After she tortured this thing for about an hour, I pulled back a piece of newspaper to find this panting mouse, wet with kitty slobber, half limping. I put a can over it and a piece of cardboard under and set it free in the field behind our house.

Ritz spent another hour searching and sniffing for her "toy"...giving me that look, "Hey, I wasn't done playing with that!"