Thread: My new Questions??

My new Questions??

Hello evey one I have sowm new questions now that the babys r born. Well I need to know how old they have to be before I can give them a way to new good homes? How do I tall if they u girl or boy? Can u get a ginny pig fixed so they wont have any more baby's? When it comes time for them to eat food do I need to feed them something diffrent than there mom?

Thanks for the help hope to hear from u soon thanks,
    scotter and the gange.

I haven't had experience with guinea pigs babies, but I have had chinchilla babies.

You can get a guinea pig spayed or neutered, but be sure to go to a vet with experience spaying rodents. They are extremely sensitive to Anastasia and if not monitored carefully it could be fatal.

Keep a bowl of mommas pellets available in the cage, they will eat it when they are ready. With bunnies it best to keep babies on an alfalfa pellet, then when they are older they should be switched to a timothy pellet. I believe the same is true for guinea pigs.

Good luck.

when they can leave depends on the size of the litter, a litter of 3 for example can leave as early as 3 weeks while a litter of 6 may not be able to leave as late as 6 weeks, the basic thing is when the males start rumblestrutting, its time to seperate(rumble strutting is growling sound, and wiggling their bottoms) male and female are really not to difficult to tell apart, the males will be shaped like an i while the females will be shaped like a Y, guinea pigs can be sexed right after birth. yes piggies CAN be spayed and neutered however this is VERY risky. the mom and babys should both be eating alfalfa hay, while the babys are young make sure they have unlimited pellets.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

bump
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils