Thread: Tuxedo cats

Tuxedo cats

I know it isn't specifically a "breed" but I just wondered people's opinion on Tuxedo cats - I always thought of tuxedo cats as just the black and white ones, you know, black with a white "shirtfront" and white "gloves" and maybe a white tummy or white on its face. But I have heard others call a gray striped (tabby-ish) with white a tuxedo cat, too. While of course tuxedos for humans come in many colors (my older brother's high school prom tux was light blue, I remember), and are even pin-striped, I never considered anything but the black and white a "real tuxedo."

What do you all think?

Just curious!
    I've Been Frosted

Good question Karen!

I've always thought of them as black and white too!

I agree with Zippy Kat, tuxedos have always been black and white and look as if they've just come from the formal wear shop.

Mila is a tuxedo cat.

I read about tuxedo cats on a website once (Can't remember where) it talked about genetics and how tuxedo cats came to have those 2 colours only.

It was very interesting. There is another name for cats with grey and black.

Me too, I always thought of tux cats as being black and white, with big, round, bright bug eyes!! LOL LOL

I LOVE TUXEDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I have seen grey/whites described as tuxedos. I think Albuquerque Cat Team (no kill foster service) (albcat.com) has described some of their grey/white fosters as tuxedos!

If Cougie's right ... that means I have TWO tux kitties. (Thelma is black & white, Weezie is grey & white.)

They must have their coats open though, 'cause there's a lot of white shirtfront showing!

Catwoman

Well, I certainly can't say which is correct, because I never even heard the term until I got on this board, but of my two black and whites, I consider only Big to be a "tuxedo" because he is the only one who looks like he's wearing a tux, although it's hard to tell in the only digital pic I have of him:

Cookie, on the other hand, would seem to me to just be a patched black and white, since she does not look like she has on the coat and white blouse-again, it's a little hard to see in this picture:

If you could see Cookie's back end or see her straight on from the front you could see better what I mean - all her patches.

It certainly seems to me that only B&W cats could be called tuxes, since that's the traditional color and the purist's choice.

But this is just my impression, I really don't know the cat fancy standard!

Air Jordan looks a lot like Ritz, COTD May 8 - great set of whiskers on AJ though! On the grey/white side, I've seen a number of grey-coated tuxedos that are very striking as well. My vet told me that the white pawed-cravat wearing black & whites have a tendency to be highly strung---I don't know about that - mine is lying belly up, purring like a banshee right now, but will admit she hates change and trips to the vet are nightmares (fortunately she is healthy and such forays into the world of medicine are infrequent).

We have a cat visitor who comes to our back door that is mostly white with 4 or 5 black spots on his side and back and a black tail. He also has a black smudge on his chin that makes him look a little like Maynard G Krebbs (anyone old enough to know who that is???)... Other neighborhood black and whites remind me more of holstein cows in their markings than true tuxes.

At any rate, the little white paw pads that remain visible after the kitty trots off into the darkness make a funny show...I, too have an affinity for the well-dressed tux kitty about town.
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Hello!

Sparky is a Tuxi cat with 4 white socks and white down his belly and a splash of white on his face.

The tuxi cats have always reminded me of Sylvester the cartoon cat. I don't know the origins ofthe Tuxi cats, but they sure do make great pets.

Sparky's brother Stumpy is a Black Manx cross with no tail. We are amazed how different the kitties seem...coming from the same litter...

Cynn

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Cynnared ]

I LOVE black & white cats! I have 4 of them. All your pics are so cute. Spencer, wow love those long white whiskers on AJ. Heres one of mine that I think would be concidered a Tuxedo. Heres Deja, showing all her white(with her brother Chat)
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/1/13/54/49111354iHNAro_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/8/46/91/43784691yYbdLa_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v3/3/35/45/35133545JzgZpz_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/3/49/42/35134942dLtPer_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/1/38/43/49113843irMBnj_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/1/0/60/49110060ASuUAj_th.jpg

Deja, how about a little "deja vu"...meet Ritz, modern day version.

Ritz-showing off her "tuxedo vest and ascot"...also eyeing a fly on the ceiling.

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: tuxluvr ]