Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: catnip question..

catnip question..

Is catnip in bad for cats in anyway? Catya just goes crazy ovr it and my mom is worried that she will either destroy her braincells or become "dependent' on it.
    I think it's kind of silly - what do you guys think?

Okay, she does not that catnip is not marijuana, doesn't she? Tee hee hee! It's harmless. Tell her not to worry, or better yet, type "catnip" into your favorite search engine and let her see for herself.

There is an earlier post about cats not being interested in catnip. Yesterday I tried an experiment using catnip and it worked! I made a tea out of it (about 1 oz)and dumped it into their (1/2 gal) drinking water container. Now, I did not leave it in there, but put fresh water in their bowl immediately afterwards. But the cats who did drink out of it were more playful and even aggressive for a few minutes.

...........wayne

Did you try any of the tea Wayne?

zippy cat, no , but it looked and smelled like the mint growing on the north side of my house. In fact, I made a mug of mint tea afterwards, and I think I'll do it agian after I get through with this post! (Do you suppose it will help medicinally?, I'll have to try it!).

Pop Quiz...anyone ever tasted catnip themselves? lol

Not me - but I bet if people could get a little gitty off it - they'd make that illegal too!!!

OK, I tried it this morning, made a tea of catnip and mixed it with regular bagged, steeped tea. The aroma is definitely different, but relaxing. Also, that is has somewhat of an emotionally up-lifting effect. Otherwise it tastes like regular minted tea.

........wayne

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: wayne0214 ]

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: wayne0214 ]

Originally posted by wayne0214:
    <STRONG>OK, I tried it this morning</STRONG>
    And afterwards did you climb the drapes, knock over the goldfishbowl, shred the couch, attack feet, and roll around & purr?

Zippy.....

No, but if I had that kind of energy from the stuff, I'd sell it as tonic, (but mind you, I wouldn't tell them what was in it!)

Originally posted by Spencer-The-Lion:
    <STRONG>
    Lucy in the sky with diamonds, ah, ah
    </STRONG>
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Get it? L.S.D.

Leah S. said that catnip is not marijuana. And that is true. My vet told me that they are from the same family of plant and that people without training have difficulty telling the plants apart.

He also said that some of the same bad side effects ensue to users. He was most worried about birth defects and chromosomal damage causing problems in future generations. Once the chance of a cat having future generations has past he said you could let them have as much as they want.

I take the lid off of the big tub and let them stick their face right down in. They come out with a "snoot full"!
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

Originally posted by wayne0214:
    <STRONG>No, but if I had that kind of energy from the stuff, I'd sell it as tonic, (but mind you, I wouldn't tell them what was in it!) </STRONG>

Hmmm...maybe I should try some on cleaning day!

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

LOL! This thread reminds me so much of one of Paul Gallico's short stories ... I think it was either called "The Secret Ingredient" or "Secret of the thirteenth kitten". One of his recurring characters was an inn-keeper/ restauranter somewhere in the French country-side (mid-20th century). He was trying deperately to earn another star in their restaurant rating guide. One horrible day he was convinced he'd not only blown his chance, but had also accidently traumatized his pregnant fur-treasure/baby. His life in ruins, he threw himself into making a cat meal-symphony to tempt her into forgiving him, at least. YOU know the secret ingredient he used, but most in the story don't and it adds so much humor.

I'll dig out the book with this story tonight and confirm the title.

[Yes, I do read stuff by other authors, but never seem to mention it here. Sorry, guys!]

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: AmberLee ]
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/