Thread: Rio is being VERY naughty lately

Rio is being VERY naughty lately

Well i've always spoiled her rotten as we do, and she's always had my full attention more than any other dog around, she has always been good with other dogs, starnge dogs she was weary of (like let of a small growl but then started playing etc), but resently she's been growling and trying to attack any dog that sniff's her or comes over to us.
    I think its jelousy of me giving other attention but it has to stop soon!
    We were at agility and a dog came over and sniff and she growl and then lunged at it (she was on a lead by my feet), i'm against hitting/kicking/scoulding animals but it was the final straw and i gave her a light kick with my foot to distract her (dont jump at me it didnt hurt her one bit) which it did, i grabbed her cheek skin and yelled NO and ignored her till our turn!
    What can i do to stop this jealousy/aggresion, i cant have a dog aggresive dog.
    She's my angel but there are limits to what i will allow her to get away with and that is NOT one of them
    Any advice to help please
    Ky
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

I remember having that problem with my red heeler when I was younger. She used to lunge at other dogs at obedience and be very protective of me.

I can't remember exactly how we changed that behaviour, but I'm sure someone here or your trainer will have some strategies. Good luck
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Just wondering how things are going?

Some dogs are alot more protective when onlead, as the fear of not being able to escape gets to them. Growling/ Scolding will not help agression in anyway. You are better off to divert the dogs attention onto somthing else. Eg if you are standing around and Rio lunges, do a quick turn on the spot and try and get the attention back onto you.

If Rio has not been spayed yet then she could be coming into season and is not liking the attention/ sniffing from other dogs. Just a thought.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Well she finished her season about 3 weeks ago (had baths since then), its not just on the lead its with any dog anywhere, even dog's she has got along with in the past the only dogs she is ok with now is Beth mizzy and bonnie (bonnie is like a mother figure and rio looks up to her allot,lol).
    I think it could be because i have spoiled her to much or it could be the heat (its been really hot lately) and she black so its worse again, since its been hot is when ive noticed it more, (i hope it is the heat), but off lead is better because the other day in hot weather we went to the quarry and she played with a strange dog.
    I'll keep you all updated
    Ky
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

Rex, my 3yo, neutered, German Shepherd, has the same behaviour. We go also to dog school, there, he plays with other dogs, but is always "rough". I tried to walk him with he Halti, was worse, he acted much more aggresive.

I hope he will get better enough to enroll any dog sport (military, flyball).

Rosana
    and
    Rex