Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vomit, vomit and more vomit

Vomit, vomit and more vomit

As most of you know, I have 7 kitties. Tex is my only chronic vomiter, and I am not including him in this post...but, in the last 3 days, I have seen and heard so much vomiting I am growing concerned.

First, it was Dakky. He never throws up. But, Tuesday night was horrendous! Maybe 4 times in 3 hours? I saw several big hair balls, so, I kind of discounted it. He is going to the vet this afternoon, as he is pretty lathargic, and acts like his front paw is hurt. I really don't think the vomiting is connected to that.

Then, last night, Monte threw up 2 times. Minnie, the closet cat< threw up twice, also! I have never seen or heard Min Min throw up. And, since she lives in the closet..well, it is easy to determine. I noticed Minnie's had a large hair ball, too. Monte..nope, just food.

This am, there was MORE throw up in the basement. I don't know who did that- but, it wasn't Tex. He eats a different diet, hence, his is distinquishable.

I am wondering if the HEAT could be causing this? We have gotten unusually warm- 85%, and humid as a steam room, in the last 3 days. The food is the same. It isn't a new bag. I haven't seen any evidence of anything 'foreign' being digested, and these guys haven't been outside in over a week.

Help!

You know Speckles goes in spurts. She'll vomit every other day for weeks, then it will completely stop for a couple of months, then start up again. The vet couldn't come up with a reason and since she's healthy besides that, I'm not worried about it. I do know that when the weather is hot they do not eat as much. I'm thinking how I feel when we get 85 degrees here; my stomach feels a bit upset too so you could be right in thinking it's the heat.

Take care and please give them all scritches from me.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I don't know if this will help but we went through this not to long ago. Everyday we came home to mulitple piles of puke. I knew it was more than one kitty but I didn't know what was going on. Like you, some had hair balls and some didn't. I was freaking out and ready to haul everyone to the vet but hubby (the voice of reason) said that he thought we should wait. He thought it might be just a stomach bug and it would be over soon. Sure enough a couple of days and no more puke. I'm not saying that we did the right thing by not taking them to the vet but everything did turn out ok quickly. We had started warming up too when it happened and I think all the loose shedding hair they were ingesting was part of the problem. I gave them all a very good brushing and that seemed to help too.
    So this is how it went in my house but you just never know with kitties! Anyway I hope your crew is over it soon because they are miserable and there is nothing worse than having to clean up puke all the time!! Keep us posted!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Kuhio used to upchuck a lot in her later years. As a youngster she'd eat the hairball medicine, but after a while, refused to eat it. I started buying her baby (meat) food. Every now and then I'd give her a jar of turkey or chicken or beef and she'd eat it right up. The vet suggested it because it helped with hairballs. We did notice that she quit puking so much after a while.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Thanks, guys. While I thought about the heat being a factor, I didn't think about the excess shedding that comes along with the heat, which would contribute to the problem MORE than the heat itself.

I will give everyone a good brushing tonight, and see what happens over the next few days. No one, besides Dakky, is acting sick. And, as I said, he is going in this afternoon. I swear, if it isn't one furkid, its another. I am not complaining, really, just worrying.

Thanks again, and I will extra-scritch everyone tonight!

I think you've got the right idea, Jo. I was going to suggest that if anyone was acting "sick" to take them in, but if you say they're all acting normal except for Dakky, it could just be a combination of the heat and the excess hair. Monte, on the other hand, might be doing it just to "fit in" with the big guys. You know how kittens can be such copycats sometimes. Good thing your house is mostly hardwood floors though. I think I hate cleaning up cat puke way worse than I mind cleaning the litter box.

Good luck and I sure hope nothing serious is wrong with Dakky and his little pawsie.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

*Gurk* ... *Urkkkk* ... *Urrrrrk* ...

Must be da current *IN* Kat Thing...

Home we goez last nite...

Kat duz hiz Happie Danze at the top of the stairs;
    then *spotz* our temp Visitin Dawg - Miz Cali...
    But she visits whenebber her M&D go outta towne - so Boots "knowes" her - not a biggie deal.

All iz well... Kat roamin around;
    did some visits to hiz Krunch Bowl
    (he'z a *nibbler* - food inna bowl 24/7)...

Kat loungin on HIZ kliner chair when Dad hears it >
    *Gurrk* ... *Urrrrk* ... *Urrkk*...

Dad hollers "KAT!!!"
    Kat sez an heads fur da baffroom...

Yep... "TRAIL" of *Urk & Gurk* frumma living room allua way to
    da baffroom! (Onna hall RUG!)

Stress frumma Visitin Dawg?
    Not hardlee - Kat don't get *stressed* - he jest gets "even"
    when sumbuddie crosses him!

Hare Ballz?
    No "evidence" of dat - jest sum Krunchies and fluids..

Uppy-Set tummy?
    Prolly NOT - since he wuz up onna vanity gobblin down MORE krunchiez
    whist poor Dad wus jest startin da kleen-up!

Boots only duz it once ebery kuppla munths...

POOR Dakky -
    Sore Paw anna uppy-set tum-tum...
    Hope ya feel a LOT Better aftur ya see da White Coat!!

Send us a note wiffa gud paw when ya getz back home.

Smoke sez:
    We better play it safe - let'z call Him...
    --------------------

<picks up Prayer Line> <dials God>

Hi, God ~

Kuld You ride along wiff Momma Joh an Dakky
    when dey visit da White Coat tuday?

See iffin You kan get him all Fix'd Up in jest wun Quick Visit.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Thanks, Debbie. Dakky is such a solid, stoic little 15.3 pounder . But, it has been days since he has been moping about. He rests his head on my big black cat pillow, and just stares at me. I went through this with Tenny last month, all to have him perk back up after the white coats. It is NOT an easy chore to squirt amoxicillen down the Dak's throat.

Do you know I have such experience with vomit that I don't even react any more when I step in it? I will never move again unless there are hardwood floors.

OH! Thanks C & S, too! I will let everyone know how Tenny's toofers cleaning goes. I pick him up at 4, and will take Tex, Georgie AND Dakky in then. FOUR cats at the whitecoats at the same time!!! FOUR!!!

Originally posted by Cataholic
    ... FOUR cats at the whitecoats at the same time!!!
    FOUR!!!
    Dad sed !!

He hopes ya get da Group Rate!

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Getting two to the vet yesterday already stressed us out! I have a rough idea how it will be with 4. I hope they'll all be ok. Tigris used to be a big vomiter but if I come to think of it it's better now.

Wow, I feel for you. I can't imagine that many throwing up at the same time. You know my Ripley is like your Tex in the chronic barf department so I know how that feels but to have the others doing it too, gee. I think CCL and the others are on to something about the heat/shedding things. I'd never thought of that but it sure makes since.

Best of luck with the four to the whitecoats experience. I take Scout tomorrow for a check up and I'm dreading just taking one.

From Decker with Love

That's a lot to deal with! I hope the white coats give them a simple solution and they are all back to normal soon.

The brushing sounds like a good idea. Do they enjoy being brushed?

Good luck today with all four. Hopefully, like Phred said, you'll get a group rate.

...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I can sympathize and empathize here. Mine have been doing alot more barfing lately too. I have no doubt that it is the increased shedding! One of mine barfed up the biggest hairball I have ever seen .... almost the size of a newborn kitten!!! Unfortunately my cats don't like the hairball remedy, so I have to force it on them, and then it gets slung all over the house. So then I have barfed furballs and gooey brown molasses type stuff everywhere!

Okay, can't believe no one else mentioned this
    It's good practice for impending motherhood! What's a little vomit between friends!

Okay, just hadta say that. I hope everyone is feeling better, and forgives you quickly for the mass visit to the white coats!