Thread: Got my first orphaned baby bird of the season tonight ...

Got my first orphaned baby bird of the season tonight ...

It's a little sparrow. It has feathers, but isn't flying or eating on its own yet.

It had fallen out of its nest at my son's school. While the kids were waiting for the bus this afternoon, my son saw some other kids chasing the bird, trying to kick it and step on it.

So, my son told them to stop it, caught the bird, and carried all the way home on the bus.

It's eating good and doesn't seem to be hurt. Hopefully in a week or so it will be ready to go free.

I seem to have developed the reputation as the "bird lady". Every year people bring me all kinds of baby birds to raise ... I've raised pigeons, sparrows, mourning doves, starlings, grackles, and robins.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Good luck with the birdy. I am glad your son rescued him. He deserves an outing for ice cream or something, great boy!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Awww poor baby! I can't believe those kids wanted to kick/step on it!!!

Glad your son brought him/her home to you. Do we get to see pics? Keep us updated!

Doesn't it make you feel great that you've rasied your son so well? Shame on those kids that were trying to harm a helpless baby.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I don't have a digital camera, so sorry, no pics.

Yeah, he's a good boy at heart. Sometimes I forget that when his smart mouth is going.

The birdie is still alive, and is eating like a pig!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    The birdie is still alive, and is eating like a pig!
    Sounds like you have a "Welcome homeless birds" mat at your door.
    Your son sounds as if he has an amazing love for animals - I gather you had a big part in that. Congratulations to you and your son and bless you both for taking this little birdie in. What a joy is must be to rescue a helpless little creature and later release it into it's own environment. I applaud you both.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.