Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW- You'll never believe this!

WOW- You'll never believe this!

A classmate of mine got stung by a scorpion two times on Sunday while she was putting bananas on the shelf at Pick N' Save!

She had an extremely severe allergic reaction and almost died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Her arm was so messed up from the reaction, the doctors started to talk to her and her parents about amputation.

What was even worse, is that the nearest scorpion expert was over 3 hours away- after all, why need that many in Wisconsin.

The scorpion was supposedly hiding in the bananas, and she didn't notice until it was too late- it stung her once. Then she freaked out and tried to fling it off, but it grabbed her with it's pinchers and stung her a second time. She shook her arm even harder and it flew off and ran away- they never found the scorpion.

She told me her parents are considering suing Pick N' Save and the Chiquita Company for this incident.

Today she was in my math class with the arm in a sling- you can see where she got stung. I just can't believe it- of all the places for that box to get shipped it came to Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin and of all the possible people to encounter it, it was my classmate! Too creepy!

I am so glad she is still her, if she died, the world would be short one awesome person! Crystal is amazing- I am just so happy to know she didn't die from here allergic reaction.

LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

That is SO scary!!! OMG! Poor girl. I'm so glad she's okay, but her poor arm!

Thanks soooo much for telling the story. Now I'm 1000 times more scared of spiders/insects/bugs than I already was, and I've decided I'm never, EVER coming to Wisconsin.
    Last edited by popcornbird; 05-18-2004 at 03:44 PM.

Wow - scarey stuff!! I am so glad your friend is OK!!!

A few years ago the municipality were digging REALLY deep ditches in waste ground behind our house (they were laying these HUGE 6ft diameter pipes), and they must have disturbed a NEST, cos we kept on finding SCORPIONS in the house!!! EEK I really HATE them - they just freak me out!!!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

popcornbird, scorpions are not spiders!

They're a whole different critter, and they don't naturally exist in Wisconsin. Better to avoid buying bananas than avoid poor Wisconsin!

Your poor friend! Hope they find the scorpion, and pay for her medical bills because of it.

What a mess! I am not sure what I think about the "suing" aspect of the whole thing. It sounds like a horrible coincidence to me.

Just hope your friend will be ok. That's the main thing.

Logan

Originally posted by Karen
    popcornbird, scorpions are not spiders!

They're a whole different critter, and they don't naturally exist in Wisconsin. Better to avoid buying bananas than avoid poor Wisconsin!

Your poor friend! Hope they find the scorpion, and pay for her medical bills because of it.
    Oops. LOL! I meant to write bugs, but accidently typed spiders. Silly me!

Originally posted by Logan
    What a mess! I am not sure what I think about the "suing" aspect of the whole thing. It sounds like a horrible coincidence to me.

Just hope your friend will be ok. That's the main thing.
    I agree completely. Now, if they don't help pay her medical bills or give her some workers comp, then I could understand a lawsuit.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Wisconsin has scorpions!?!?!

I hope she gets better soon.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

When I lived in 29 Palms (the high desert of California) we had tons of scorpions at our house. We would go into the garage barefoot without the lights off not knowing there were TONS of scorpions in there. One night we decided to just turn on the light and we were very surprised to see so many of them running by our feet. We were extremely lucky to not have been stung or stepped on one!

I am sorry about your friend. I hope she starts feeling better soon. Poor thing.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by ramanth
    Wisconsin has scorpions!?!?!

NOOO! LOL! It was shipped to Wisconsin in a box of bananas. OMG, if there were scorpions in Wisconsin there would be a FOR SALE sign in the front yard!!!!!!!!

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Wow, that is really scary! Best wishes to her that she will heal fast!

That is scary!

I am glad that the girl is okay.

Where did the scorpion origionally come from?

Bananas are usually 'gassed' for tarantulas....

I don't know if scorpions are native to where the bananas came from.....
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

We have scorpions all over here. Must be a different kind, though, because I've never heard of anyone getting stung by one. Or, maybe we just know they are there, and watch out for them ... kind of like rattle snakes.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    We have scorpions all over here. Must be a different kind, though, because I've never heard of anyone getting stung by one. Or, maybe we just know they are there, and watch out for them ... kind of like rattle snakes.
    *faints* Ummm I think I'm cancelling my trip to Wyoming now.....
    LOL

She told me her parents are considering suing Pick N' Save and the Chiquita Company for this incident.
    While this was a horrible accident I don't see why they would be suing. I doubt the Pick N' Save put the scorpion there on purpose, likewise with the Chiquita Company. I guess I just don't understand some people's first response being to sue.

*Thanks Ashley*