Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what breeds dont your DOGS like

what breeds dont your DOGS like

ok many dog have paticular breeds that they just hate for no apparent reason, for example one dog at flyball hates aussies, and happy hates German shorthaired pointers(maybe because the dog I was going to adopt before I got her was a GSP? lol) I know because happy just goes beserk and gets fir in her eyes whenever she see's a GSP, she raced against a team that had 2 over the weekend, she bobbled the ball and booted it back so fast that she could not stop like there was no way a GSP was going to beat HER. when she is not trying to beat them racing as soon as she see's one she goes bonkers like she wants to kill it, now she is not so nice to any dog she does not know but not even close to as beserk as she gets when she see's a pointer. so what breeds do YOUR dogs not like?
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I've never heard or seen this before... interesting.

My dogs don't dislike any specific breeds.
    I'm not even sure if dogs can tell the difference?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

i agree i've never heard or seen this before either. it's cool i guess. but you could never own a GSP or an Ausi. lol

Beanie doesn't not like any dogs that i know of. he's happy to know everyone as long their nice first.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I think socialization may have a lot to do with dogs liking or disliking certain breeds.

Oz, who was by far socialized a whole lot more than Murph or Maddie, hasn't met a dog or breed yet that he doesn't like. He loves everybody.

Maddie, who I didn't really socialize at all, she couldn't care less to make friends with any dog, regardless of their breed. She wouldn't go out picking a fight. But they better stay out of her space and my space or she's going after them.

Murph, who I did socialize somewhat, does seem to have some breeds that he likes and some he doesn't. He absolutely adores Goldens, because he had a Golden buddy as a puppy, named Hobbs, that he got to play with quite often. On the dislike side, I've yet to see him like another terrier. Other terriers seem to get the strongest negative response from him. I don't know if it's body posture, because other terriers seem to have a cockiness to them or what exactly he reads in them that sets him off, but there is a major dislike there. He's also had strong reactions towards Rotties too. He was fine with Labs, until my cousin's Lab picked a fight with him, now they're on the list too.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

My mom's dog Dazzi seems to dislike certain breeds. She since was adopted at 2, there is no real way to know if this came from lack of or certain socilization, but she has had issues with several Golden Retrivers and German Short Haired Pointers.

Brock doesnt dislike anyone. However it seems he has a particular love for dobies, boxers and other aussies. Oh and he goes CRAZY for mini aussies. There are 3 or 4 regulars at marymoor and anytime one of them is there he will NEVER leave it alone. Even when I drag him away he ends up finding them again. I think its because they are so tiny, hyper, fast and yappy. lol
    R.I.P. Pidge & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Oliver & Sahkmet (the buns)
    Brock & Alki (the poops)
    Felix & Linus (the mews)

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Clipse doesn't like the husky that lives two doors down from us. I'm not sure why. Before their yard was done they used to tie it up in the front, and when I was walking the dogs past Clipse would get all antsy and posture as we went by. He has met the dog before and they haven't had a problem he just doesn't like him from afar I guess. LOL

My co-worker's dog has a thing against boxers. He's never had a bad experience with them he just hates them. She has to be careful while walking him at the offleash. If she sees another boxer she calls him over to her and makes him heel. When another of my co-worker's got a boxer puppy we were a little concerned as to how Sydney would react, but since Jackson was just a pup when they were introduced it's like Sydney doesn't realize he is a boxer. To Syd he is just Jackson his friend.

My boss's old bouvier also didn't like husky or husky type dogs. When those dogs came in for grooming we would have to put Virgil (the bouvier) away.

Also I've noticed that a lot of dogs don't like pugs. My grandpa's pug is really friendly and outgoing, yet he gets a lot of growls from dogs or dogs will run to get away from him. I think it may have something to do with how they look and how they sound that other dogs aren't used to.

*Thanks Ashley*

I should also add, Sadie does not like dogs that bark and jump at the fence when we are walking. They can bark, they can run along side the fence, but if they are jumping and barking, she gets very defensive.

Katie really doesn't like any dogs. shes practically anti-scocial.

I have to agree I don't think dogs can tell which breed is which. I guess it's the dog its-self

But if katie had to like dogs, she perfers any small breed dog...Bigger dogs freak her out.

Elvis Im not sure of yet.

Originally posted by Kfamr
    I've never heard or seen this before... interesting.

My dogs don't dislike any specific breeds.
    I'm not even sure if dogs can tell the difference?
    I have to agree with you, KayAnn.

I don't think dogs can actually tell if the don't like a "specific breed."

Louie (a dog in our obedience class.) is an American Eskimo. I think that Louey and Prince know that they look alike, because they sure do enjoy barking at each other!

from what I have seen they sure can. happy was well socialized right from the start she came accross many breeds including GSPs never had a bad experience with one, just one day she was running against a pointer and you could see the fire in her eyes when she saw that dog, others noticed it too, after that I started to notic how she reacsted to differnt breeds, for example she met a shih tzu for the first time and did not have a problem with it, she was just fine, when she met junior yesterday(bosten terrier, who is normally agressive) and happy greeted him calmly, and junor was a good boy too, Ripley greeted junior not so nicley and Ripley is the friendliest dog I have ever seen, never had I seen him meet a dog he didnt like, but he was snarling at junior, suprised the heck outa me, Ripley is half bosten terrier for heaven sakes! happy, she see's some breeds she likes and others she hates, she seems to like shih tzus, and bostens, but hates pointers, other breeds she goes after but NOTHING like she does when she see's a GSP. happy is a smart dog, she get so pissed off whn ea dog gets a false start flyball, and she seems to always know exactly WHICH dog got the false start and braks at the dog, (she follows the dog with her eyes barking, and she is always barking at the right dog!) the only way I know when a dog has a false start is when the judge blws the whistle but that does not indicate WHO had the false, only that there was one(I run second so I have to watch so I know when and if to let her go) i do think that dogs are smart enugh to know the difference with other dogs.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

It seems most logical to think that maybe its just that certain breeds have specific breed-wide temerapments/characteristics that annoy some dogs. same thing with dogs that tend to love certain breeds. and not that dogs know what breeds are which.
    R.I.P. Pidge & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Oliver & Sahkmet (the buns)
    Brock & Alki (the poops)
    Felix & Linus (the mews)

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

I don't know if breed really makes a difference to my dog -- or any dog -- both my dogs go for the high-energy, playful pups...although Zoey seems to prefer males to females, and Moose is the exact opposite. I guess that's why they get along so well.

I have to agree with Cali. Dazzi seems to know what dogs are goldens and gsps. She doesn't have issues with every Golden and Gsp but she checks them out more carefully than other breeds and it is usually those 2 that she gets into real fights with. (Ask Staci as Keegan was one of her first victims, Chip another golden is one she REALLY hates, and there is at least one other golden off the top of my head that she has gotten into it with). As far as GSPs, there are two she gets along with and the others are definitely not her "type". She has also gone after one cocker spaniel and from what we know she is a cocker spaniel/Golden retriever mix. Maybe she is jealous that they are purebred and she is not. I can't think of any reason she should dislike GSPs though.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Maybe it's just the personality/traits of certain breeds... I find it rather hard to imagine that a dog is thinking "Oh, that's a Pit Bull. I hate Pit Bulls"...

Simba and Duke are both shepherd mixes.
    Nala loves Simba, but has issues with Duke. Duke is the only dog i've seen her not get along with. She's gotten along with all other shepherds/mixes.

Simba just doesn't like hyper dogs, excluding Nala and Honey.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits