View Poll Results: Have you ever misdirected an e-mail?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I have.

15 44.12%
  • No I haven't.

19 55.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever misdirected an e-mail?

Have you ever misdirected an e-mail?

I am starting a little poll because I have done this now twice. They were not 'life and death' e-mails but a couple of surprises unfortunately got "out of the bag" as a result of my carelessness. A couple of years ago I received an e-mail from a relative of mine which she had sent to her 'boyfriend.' Unfortunately she was married at the time and so her affair was inadvertently divulged. Anyway, I am hoping that I am not the only one who has done this. Anyone out there? Anyone at all?

I *hate* when that happens!

I don't think I have ever misdirected an email, but several times I have been on the receiving end. A couple of times, somebody was bad-mouthing me to another person, and that is how I found out about it. There's nothing more hurtful then to receive that type of email. It's so much easier to just be told outright that that is how they feel about you. It's been 3 years, and yet it still hurts to think about it.

That's terrible Anna. I'm sorry about that.

I have sent my e-mails to the wrong adress (if I am understanding "misdirected" correctly ) a few times but they were never serious. I once got an e-mail from a man though and he kept mentionning our "rendez-vouz at the amusement park". I was a little bit freaked, lol.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Hmm I haven't ever misdirected an email nor recieved one. I'm sure that would be pretty surprsing.. I guess I'm lucky for now but I can't say it wont ever happen.

I've done it!!! I sent an email to my mom meant for my boyfriend at the time. I don't thinkit said anything too much, but she stillhad to tease me about it!

I haven't. I rarely send e-mail though.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

When I first started using email, I didn't realize that replying to an email included the original email that was sent, and I also had the notion that changing the line in the subject matter, somehow made it a different page. I know that I replied to one family member's email and added another family member's name to the send list and there was something in the first email that they had written to me that they would not have wanted the other person to know they were said. By the time I realized exactly how email functioned, it was too late to *unsend* which I could have since the recipient and I were both on AOL. Neither party ever brought it to my attention, so maybe there was a chance that the recipient did not scroll down to see original email.

So the answer is yes, been there, done that.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I've never misdirected, but kept receiving e-mails from a girl to my old Hotmail account about her boyfriend problems. I had no idea who she was, but started writing back with strange advice. She must've eventually twigged that I wasn't her friend but someone else with a similar name
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I sent a moderately "off color" joke to a veterinarians forum I'm subscribed to! Lucky for me though...it wasn't a raunchy one!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Pam, if it makes you feel any better, once Scott sent an email, meant for me, to his "ex", the "other" Mrs. Bagley!!!! It included "I Love You", hehehe!!!!!

I think you need to give yourself a break. It could happen to anyone, and since I know what happened both times it happened to you, I can speak with authority!!!! It wasn't as if you said anything bad, it was all good, in fact, and if the unintended recipient happened to open it, she will know how good you felt about everything!!!! Quit worrying!!!!!!

Logan

I just remembered something and realized I voted incorrectly.

Several years ago, I had changed internet service and hadn't yet transferred all my email addresses over to the new service. But I was sure that I "remembered" my aunt and uncle's address. He loves jokes, even "off color" ones, so I was sending them to him, constantly. Well, he is a miniter and his email address started with "Rev", followed by his initials. The only problem was that I didn't include all three initials, just his first and last. One day, I got an email from another "Rev", and she said that she had gotten so many emails from me that she felt she had to respond and tell me that she didn't know me, and obviously I was doing something wrong! Talk about embarassed!!!

I am determined to never "guess" again!!!!!

I think I've done it once, to someone with the same name, but luckily it wasn't anything important.

However, I've recieved a msg. on IM meant for someone else, that was rather embarressing - for the person who sent it.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I have (thankfully) not sent an email to the wrong person, but a funny thing happened to me last year:

We were in the porcess of buying some limited edition fountain pens (they are a great investment). The broker sent us the banking details for us to transfer our payment, but instead of attaching OUR invoice, he attached HIS COST PRICES!! Of course then mwe went back to him and asked for more discount He was VERY upset!!!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I've sent IMs to the wrong person before...

I one time had 35 seperate IM windows open on AIM and it was really HARD to keep track of them all! Soon it seemed as if I was having the exact same conversation with 35 people...argh. I was popular online once...hehe. The dail up was reeeallly trying hard to keep up!

I got an email from some gal that thought I went to Highschool with her...although she was in her 40's and I wasn't even past my freshman year at the time...she sent some WIERD stuff!

I've never misdirected an email, but my dad has told me some VERY funny stories of his boss at work sending very important emails to the wrong people, and then hanging his head in shame when he found out! LOL!!!

I have, however, received a PM from someone here at PT before, that was meant for someone else. I couldn't stop laughing. My friends have IM'd me something that was meant for someone else several times, but it was nothing that would cause any problem.