Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panting Cats

If it will make y'all feel better, cats and dogs both can tolerate (and prefer) higher temperatures than us humans, as long as there is ventilation (and/or a good fan), plenty of fresh water, no direct sunlight, and they aren't stressed, ill, or over-exerted. It might be a good time to decrease the exercise until the A/C comes on. They also acclimate more quickly and better than us humans, too. As long as the temperature isn't extreme or the change too sudden, it isn't too stuffy or sunny in their room, they aren't ill, they are well watered, and they are at rest, they will be fine, even comfortable.

Thank you all for your support. Zezu and the gang were fine. Zezu is in a much better mood today as the cloud cover moved in. He's been carrying his milk jug ring around all morning.

As for being dehydrated. I don't think that is the problem as Zezu loves water. He gets drinks from me while I'm shaving and in the shower. As well as his own water dish. Also, When ever I spray the spray bottle he runs up to it and puts his mouth on the nossle and paws at it until I spray him. I also sprayed mist in front of the fan and Zezu just loved that.

The turtles and birds love the hot weather. I'll be nervous about them when I actually have the A/C on.

Now the fish probably were miserable as the thermometer in the tank was off the charts yesterday.

thanks again,
    Ben

felix has been doing quite a bit of panting lately. he got to go outside for the first time (his one year old birthday present, after he's patiently watched S go out in the evenings and not been allowed to follow her). he was so excited he couldn't stop running around the yard, under the bushes, etc. he would stop to pant from excitement and nervousness, then get right back to his explorations. S was very good and kept an eye on him.

Did you have him on a leash?

no leash. so far they have both been extremely well behaved, never going farther than my yard. mostly they like to sit on the porch and watch me do yard work. but i know there is a danger. i tried to use a leash with my previous cat halley, and every time i put it on him he immediately rolled over onto his back and refused to move. these cats might be different though. so now that you mention it i'll give the leash a try.

I haven't even got past the harness yet. Zezu just rolls around and looks sad. So I take it off pretty quickly. I made the mistake of not making him wear a collar when he was a baby. He hates those too.

7. Edwina -- who absolutely HATES being groomed -- tolerates a harness and leash. She has never worn a collar either. I'm not suggesting she LIKES the harness but she knows the only way she can go out in the yard is if she has it on. Very dramatic about it. Walks like a hunch back -- which she forgets to do when she see something interesting to investigate or run toward (or if noone is paying attention). Even though the yard is fenced and someone is with her, I feel better if I can a) catch her, b) see where she is by the trailing leash and c)hear the bell I attached to her harness.

Yes, it is normal. Sabrina, she pants when she is playing and running around. I took my male cat to the vet and it was really hot and sunny and Joey started panting in his carrier. We had to throw some water in his face to cool him down.

Maxx pants like a dog when she is hard at play with her laser pointer or her furry mice. At first I thought it was strange, but I also read on Pet Talk that it is perfectly normal.

my kittie,micho,doesn't pant.maybe zezu is overweight (not to be mean)or dehydrated.i've had alot of kitties in my life and none of them ever pant.does zezu have long hair?he may be hot.i have no
    idea