Thread: Proheart 6 injections causing dog deaths??

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Proheart 6 injections causing dog deaths??

Here is a new revised email it has a few more links related to people that have had problems:
    I received this in an email this morning, I looked it up in Snopes.com and Urbanlegends.com and could find nothing on either about it so check into it and decide for yourselves.

Subject: VERY IMPORTANT ARTICLE ABOUT HEARTWORM MED
    Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:02:56 -0500

I am sending this even to people that would never use the medication or do not have dogs just in case they need to pass this on to someone they know.

Mar 1, 2004 10:59 pm US/Eastern NEW YORK (CBS) The focus of an investigative story by our sister-station WBZ-TV Boston is a popular medication being used to prevent heartworm, a potentially deadly disease. WBZ's Joe Bergantino has learned that after taking this drug thousands of dogs have gotten sick, hundreds have even died.

Joanne Plumer treats all of her dogs like members of the family. So she immediately noticed something was wrong with her 13-year-old named April. "She couldn't stand up any more, she couldn't eat, her mouth was full of blisters, her fur was falling out."

It all started the day after April got a shot of the heartworm medication ProHeart 6. Three weeks later, April had to be put to sleep. "We were devastated with April. We were totally devastated with April. She was my baby," Joanne recalled.

Within a few weeks, Joanne's other dog, 10-year-old Cuji, also treated with ProHeart 6, got very sick. Cuji died three months after getting her shot. "She went completely blind. Then you know, she started coughing and coughing and she couldn't catch her breath and we checked her out and she had complete kidney failure," Joanne remembered.

These are not isolated cases. WBZ's I-Team investigation found that in the past two and a half years the FDA has received more than 4,000 reports of dogs getting sick after getting a shot of ProHeart 6. And more than 400 dogs have died nationwide. The FDA says it's been able to link ProHeart 6 to a small percentage of those cases but even those numbers are, in the FDA's words, "a cause for concern." The FDA is investigating. In fact, the FDA has twice told the makers of ProHeart 6 to change its labeling, most recently asking the company to add that there have been rare reports of death.

"I think this is just the tip of the iceberg," says Veterinarian Bob Rogers. He wonders why the FDA has not taken the drug off the market.

The FDA's answer: it believes the medication could potentially save the lives of more dogs than it harms. But Dr. Rogers disagrees. "I have seen veterinary drugs pulled off the market when there were less deaths involved than this."

As for the manufacturer of ProHeart 6, a company called Fort Dodge Animal Health, it declined an on-camera interview but released this statement saying "Millions of U.S. dogs have benefited from the heartworm protection provided by ProHeart 6. The reports submitted to the FDA represent a fraction of 1% of total doses sold...and the product has been proven to be safe."

Donna Sadoski doesn't believe that. Her 11-year-old dog Sammy went blind after getting a shot of ProHeart 6. "I wonder how many animals will be put to sleep? How many animals will have life threatening problems they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives before someone stops this medicine from actually being given to them," Donna told WBZ.

The makers of ProHeart 6 say they do not believe their heartworm medication caused Donna's and Joanne's dogs to get sick. But the FDA continues to investigate, at this point asking the company to find out if there are any impurities in the drug's formula that may be causing problems.

Here is the news story from WBZ TV Boston's Website:
    http://cbs4boston.com/siteSearch/loc...061205218.html

Here is a page on the FDA's site about ProHeart6:
    http://google.fda.gov/search?restric...*&oe=&filter=p

Pug Rescue with testimonials from owners with bad experiences with ProHeart6:
    http://www.rescuepug.com/pughealth/proheart.html

Chicago News Station Story:
    http://cbs2chicago.com/special/local...061183502.html
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

All this stuff heartworm medicine...flea and tick...its all pesticides..it has always scared me.

Kimmy's dog, Kia, had a nasty reaction to Proheart 6. It was SCARY to hear about them going through that.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Originally posted by caseysmom
    All this stuff heartworm medicine...flea and tick...its all pesticides..it has always scared me.
    Most of these products have been used safely for years now such as Advantage and HeartGuard Chewables etc. The alternatives are anemia from the fleas sucking the life out of the animals, and heartworm which if it doesn't kill the dog, the treatment is worse! Arsenic, which for years was (maybe still is) used for rodent killing is the treatment for dogs with heartworm. It makes them horribly sick. I'll opt for the tried and proven heartworm meds and flea/tick meds. Better safe than sorry. And lets not even mention the OTC products put out by Hartz!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

QueenScoopALot, Kia had a seizure and became very sick only 15 minutes after recieving the PH6 injection.

This website has Kia's story as well as many other owners who believe that PH6 is to blame.

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/...ectinpage.html

It also has a list of cities that have done news stories about dogs who've become sick after getting PH6. In fact Kia's news story aires this weekend.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I am not saying I don't use the products but I am still scared of them, much like when you have your children immunized.

I was interested in the six month injectable......

But not any longer! I'll stick with the monthly chewables the gang has been on for a long time. It's a bit scary that one injection can kill heartworms for six months. That sounds like an awful lot of toxins being given. At least the word is being spread now.
    Author Unknown ~*~

Glad we could help spread the word.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

my casey gets sick after the monthly...she would probably be one of those dogs that would be killed by the 6 month shot....

Here is a link to many memorials to dogs who have died after receiving the ProHeart 6 shot:
    http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/.../memorial.html

The memorials are heartbreaking, and just go on and on! Thank you, Queen Scoopalot, for the heads up!

--Dot