View Poll Results: Does your family accept the role of your cats?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes my cats get Christmas gifts from all of them.

19 48.72%
  • No they think I am crazy!

14 35.90%
  • Better ask whether my cats accept the role of my family!

6 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your family accept the role the cats play in your life?

Does your family accept the role the cats play in your life?

After reading AmberLee's thread I thought it would be fun to know if your family accepts your pets like they accept skinkids.

My mom always asks about the boys and her dog is closer to her than my sis and I used to be- nearly

The case of my sister is clear: she loves her cats and dogs more than any family members

Edwina and Eddie always exchange gifts with the various other furred relatives, my mother's dog, my sister's dog, my brother's assorted animals. On my husband's side...they have a name drawing for gift exchange....just for the four-leggers!

My family usually gives me more presents for my animals than myself on my birthday - but I want it that way!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I don't know if they are "fully" accepted as members of the family. But my sister and her kids always buy a Christmas present for "the kitties" from "the kiddies". I know that my mother would much prefer grandchildren, but this is as close as it is going to get

Hmmm well they do always ask about the boys, but I think it's more of a politeness cause they realize how important they are to me. But I think they think I'm a tad crazy when it comes to the cats, and maybe I am to the average eye, but too darn bad. I feel like in my family cats are not considered as close to being one of our own as dogs are and it kind of hurts my feelings. But the effort is there and my step-mom did get my cats a great Christmas present, the Panic Mouse (supervision only toy, lol).
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Yes, they get (and sign) Xmas cards and the fur kids exchange gifts. It's SO much fun. My sister even made me a set of kitchen towels with Mishi and Mitzi's pictures on them this past Xmas.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Without a doubt all my furkids are accepted. In fact whenever someone has a question about dog or cat care or concerns - even from a friend of theirs I've never met - the family will tell them to ask me or will tell them "let me ask Laurie, if she doesn't know she can find out through her PetFriends" I received a call from a friend of my older brother's in California just the other evening. She heard "about me" doG only knows what she heard

Yes, my family does accept the importance of my girls. All the pets in my family exchange Christmas gifts.

Also, since neither my sisters nor I have human children, my mother carries photos of our cats and dog in her wallet and introduces them as her grandchildren. Now that's acceptance!
    Oreo and Molly

My family knows but I wouldn't say understands. My mother is an animal nut and she has dogs. She has five shitzus and two cats. We have always had animals around. My brothers care for their pets but do not see them as major family members.
    I happen to be the only one that is into animal rescue and big time advocate for all animals.
    So, most of the family feels really sorry for me because I don't have any children and I obviously have replaced my need for kids with animals. It has pretty much been decided that I will be the crazy old lady that dies alone surrounded by a million cats. I don't know what they think is going to happen to hubby, my step-kids, and step-grandchildren!
    At any rate I accept their misguided views of me because I believe very passionately in what I do and how I feel. If I can make a difference in the lives of a few beautiful, lost, and lonely animals then be darned with what anyone thinks. These are live beings that I could never turn my back on for fear of looking like the crazy cat lady!!
    I'm off of my soap box now. In case you can't tell this is a sore subject with me. Sorry but it sure felt good to get it off of my chest!!

As far as my family goes....I really don't know.

They all have pets!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Our furbabies each have a Christmas stocking (one kitty and one puppy) and both get Christmas and Birthday presents. My daughter receives both Christmas and Birthday presents from our pets too (sometimes also from her goldfish).

We also include their names on all of the cards we send out and I have the cutest puppy and kittie paw print stamps that I put by their names.

My Mom calls them her grandchildren and when we go to visit her with the dog, she fixes her a complete plate of dinner when we eat. Butter on Nina's baked potato too! Chuck gets his dinner brought home in a special tupperware from Grandma.

I think we're the most nutty at Chrismas though. My daughter bake "Christmas" dog bisquits for all of the dogs in our family and give them to them from our dog. We still have to find something clever to make for the cats from Chuck. Any ideas??

Within my immediate family it's accepted. Each of our pets get gifts during the Holiday and on their birthdays.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I'm voting for the first one because it's so very true.

My family:
    Mom- 3 cats
    Dad- 3 dogs, 1 cat
    Brother- 3 dogs
    Sister-5 tiels, 1 dog
    Sister- 1 dog
    Brother-1 dog
    Me-7 cats
    Sister- 3 dogs, 3 cats
    Brother- Weird. None. He wants a cat. Wife says no.
    Brother- 3 cats.

10 people- 34 pets

Everyone in my family is into each others animals. Some of us exchange cards/presents. All of us know names, and ask about them.

Most of my cats accept my family. Most of them.

My kids and their families love animals as I do so it is fun! We exchanged Christmas gifts for the furrkids and I am grandmeowmie My dad on the other hand, thinks I am nuts but who cares I raised animal lovers and That is what matters.