Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: cats eat the dangdest things!

cats eat the dangdest things!

I'm sure we all have wild stories about what our cats like in the way of people food. Our three abys will tease for whatever we have, and we give up in exasperation and let them try something .... and they love it! Couple of the weirdest things (for cats) they relish are cantaloupe and bananas. Asparagus is another. Who else has examples?

My girl Rio (C.O.T.D 12/24/99)loves air popped popcorn. She comes running when she hears the popper in action. She also likes pretzel nuggets,these she will take out of the bag when she thinks I am not looking. Growing up we had a cat that my father tought to eat corn on the cob. Mo would hold down the cob and chew off the corn. This was always a hit at family cook-outs.

luv and andi-
    check out the Cat General category for a post subject "weird taste" by Gina for some hilarious stories of this same thread!

my cat loves potatoe chips

My childhood cat, Caico, had a really intense thing for cantelope too. If she couldn't get a fresh piece, she would dig in the trash can and pull out the rinds. Once she captured a rind, she would drag it into a corner under the table and howl like a maniac until she finished with it. Never had a taste for any other fruits or vegetables.

One of my kitties LOVES pasta, and she hates meat. Which I find really odd.

------------------
    "Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Hello everyone! I love cats as much as everyone else seems to be on here. . .
    Anyways, my adorable Squeakers (who btw is a feisty, 'ferocious' Tabby) will eat about anything in site. From sock fuzz to milk. . .you name it!
    lol. . .can tell this will be a site I'll be visiting more often!
    Beth

------------------
    Those who judge don't matter but those who matter don't judge.
    Anonymous

I know this doesn't have anything to do with eating strange things, but I have seen Spencer's many posts in which he mentions a neutered cat that still thinks he's a tom, and each time it reminds me of some similar stories: my mom was fostering an orphaned litter. She owned at the same time a large neutered tuxedo, Pierre, who adopted the kittens as his own litter, even to the point of nursing them! Of course, he had no milk, but the kittena grew up well nourished thanks to my mom's bottle and well adjusted and trained thanks to that silly "Mr. Mom" Pierre. I had an old large neutered tabby. Zebo, whose fur was sparse on his fat belly, so his nipples were will visible. I adopted a just-weaned orange boy, Toot, who kept trying to nurse on the old guy! Toot also used to start purring loudly and kneading his paws everytime my son went around the house with no shirt on - I finally realized he was eying my son's nipples fondly! I have since learned from a friend who also fosters that it is not unheard of for a neutered male to "adopt" orphaned litters. This same Toot later on when he was older and neutered, like Spencer, tried to "mate" with one of my in-season fosters. Good thing these creatures are so lovable, because sometimes they are just downright weird!

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited December 04, 2000).]

My 13lb male, oreo (black & white) long hair manx loves peanut butter!! Especially when it is on warm toast like a sandwich...and YES, I do share with him!!! He also loves drinks with straws. It is so funny to watch him play with a straw that is in my glass, he grabs at it with his paws and bites it and it looks like he is drinking right from it!!

My cat like to eat advocado.
    And it would eat Kettle chilly flavoured chips. Silly cat.

At the risk of being too graphic here, I just realized that my Andy has eaten some of my artificial tree. Found that out cleaning out the litterbox this morning. Talk about eating the dangdest things!

My three month old grey and white tabby Miuccia goes absolutely wild for my eye makeup removal pads. Miuccia is usually the sweetest kitty, but whenever she gets close to one or smells one she growls and lunges for it. I have to be very careful where I throw the things. Once I accidently threw one in an open wastebasket and I only realized it when Miuccia was digging through the trash. I was too late - she had it half swallowed by the time I caught her and she was growling very aggressively. I just sat there in shock praying that the makeup removal pad wouldn't do Miuccia any harm when 30 seconds later Miuccia threw up and out it came! I was immensely relieved. Miuccia has gone back to the wastebasket again and again, hoping to be lucky enough to find another tasty "treat".

Miuccia also has the exact same reaction to the tails of furry mice toys. She half swallowed a tail on one occasion and I had to pull it out of her mouth to stop her from swallowing the whole thing!

...perhaps it is the "fury" element of the cleanser pad and mouse. I notice a lot of cats will instinctively attack/play with/destroy things made of artificial fur, furry carpets, spun yarn etc?

My mom was once bottle-feeding an orphan foster. She kept running out of the nipples for the bottles, then finally figured out why when one day the kitten threw one up. He had been eating them!

Lucy loves pasta! But what she likes more than pasta is a bug. She hunts them down and then eats them. I noticed her the other day looking at the ceiling and meowing. There was a shadow on the ceiling. I had to pick her up to show her that there wasn't a bug there. She kept smacking it waiting for it to jump. Silly kitty