Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bank Robber Did It for Her Cat?

Bank Robber Did It for Her Cat?

Well, I know that all our Pet Talkers LOVE their pets, but I hope there aren't any considering going this far! Poor mixed up woman.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A 44-year-old woman who told police she robbed a string of banks to raise money to pay for surgery for her cat pleaded not guilty to larceny in Brooklyn Criminal Court on Monday.

Catherine Kaczanowski, who was arrested last month, said she set off on her crime spree after learning her stray cat Smoochie had a cancerous tumor and needed surgery, police said. She is accused of hitting five banks near her Brooklyn home and making off with a total of $7,500.

Kaczanowski pleaded not guilty to grand larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, petit larceny and robbery.

Police say she slipped notes to bank tellers demanding money and saying, "I don't want to hurt anybody."

When arrested, the frail 5-foot-3 (1.6 meter), 100-pound (45 kg) recluse told police she was desperate to save Smoochie, a stray she adopted as a kitten nearly three years ago.

Smoochie had the surgery, which was successful, the New York Post reported quoting a law enforcement source.

Kaczanowski told police she got the idea of robbing banks after reading about other successful bank heists. Police said Tuesday they had been unable to verify her story.

05/05/04 08:04 © Copyright Reuters Ltd.

"Peace cannot be achieved through violence,
    it can only be attained through understanding."
    Albert Einstein

I'm glad that Smoochie had her surgery - and I hope this poor woman didn't go to jail! I think her sentence should be to work in a cattery for a while.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Although I'm glad Smoochie's surgery went well, I am left with some questions....She robbed FIVE banks and got $7500. That's $1,500 average. She needs to pick better banks! She says she did it to pay for Smoochie's surgery but pleads "not guilty." Not guilty by reason of?????

Perhaps we can suggest different reading material for Ms. Kaczanowski??? Fund Raising magazines???

Oh how the thought had crossed my mind....

Kidding.

I'm glad Smoochie got the surgery and is okay. I'd hate to think that they would confinscate her cat since she used the stolen money to pay for it's procedure.

Her intentions were good but misguided. A reduce sentance indeed..
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

And where is Smoochie living now she is in jail?
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Exactly my thoughts, did she think on that one if she got caught, I Suppose she expected not to get caught, you really have to wonder if that was the real motive behind the robberies, maybe partly, but if so would she not have stopped once she got enough for the surgery, surely it was not going to cost $7.500 dollars, regardless of her motives whether they appear to be good, she is still a criminal in my books.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Robbery is robbery.

The herion addicts who rob only do it for a fix, how is this lady any different. She took money for her own need.

She had other options take out a loan, pay the vet in installments or give up her cat to a non-kill shelter who who do the operation and rehome cat, at least he would be healthy.

Exactly Jenny,I have no empathy for her, she did the crime, she must do the time, I do however feel for the cat, hopefully it will beable to be re-homed.

There are people who need to raise money to save their children, they try to raise funds, by going public on TV, whatever it takes, her methods were to the extreme, she had other options, she chose this one.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

It would be my last resort, but I think I would rob a bank to save a loved one's life.

Thank you Wolfie!

What's the movie where the dad holds the hospital hostage so that his son can get a transplant? And then the dad almost commits suicide so that his son can have his heart. That's such a touching movie. That put things into light for me.

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by Tonya
    What's the movie where the dad holds the hospital hostage so that his son can get a transplant? And then the dad almost commits suicide so that his son can have his heart. That's such a touching movie. That put things into light for me.
    John Q with Denzel Washington?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Tonya
    It would be my last resort, but I think I would rob a bank to save a loved one's life.

DITTO... I would too

Tonya and Petlover in an extreme case I probably would do the same, but we would try every other avenue open to us first don't you think?
    Furangels only lent.

Bank robbery is a Federal Offense and can't be taken lightly.....I daresay, if this woman robbed 5 banks, she will probably never see her cat again. I'm sorry for the cat and his future, and I'm sorry that this lady was that desperate, but robbery is NEVER an answer to a financial problem, whether it be a pet's life or a human's life that is at stake.

Maybe I've worked for banks for too long, but robbery is a frightening thing, whether it is by note or at the end of a rifle. Last year, right here in our town, 3 people were killed by a bank robber who was never caught. That sort of thing is unusual, but it happened, right here in my own backyard.

I Know what you mean Logan, my sister worked in the bank for years, the bank she worked at was robbed, she was lucky to not be working that day, and her husband is a bank manager, and her daughter also works in the bank, so for them this reality is a scarey part of the job.
    Furangels only lent.