Thread: how do you ease a dog's grieving?

how do you ease a dog's grieving?

Jasmine our rough collie passed away last week and Sandy our golden is missing her terribly. She is so mopey. She plays fine with the two puppies, but there is such a sadness about her. Any suggestions to try and help her over this hump? It's breaking my heart! They were always together.

I don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you lost Jasmine.

It may be too late but they say if you actually let the other animals see the deceased it helps.

Some animals grieve in different ways. I have heard of animals healing faster by keeping them busy. It helps take their mind of it.
    Some animals actually heal faster by being comforted by familiar items from the deceased pet, a favorite toy & bed.

From my personal experience the first seems to work best so far.
    You can try to keep her busy so her mind is not on missing her buddie. A couple extra short walks a day, extra pets & love. Enroll in an obedience class. Anything to keep her mind off of her buddy.

I am sorry for your loss of Jasmine & the best of luck to you & your lonesome Sandy. Just be patient & understanding.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

thank you

thank you both for your comments. Sandy was with Jasmine when she died. They slept in the same room together and we found Jasmine in the morning. Sandy was anxious (as usual) to get out of the room in the morning, but when I went in to attend to Jasmine, she came in and sniffed at her while I was covering her up. I know that she is aware that she is gone. Sandy has two puppies (7 months old) to play with, but they are small breed pups and we can't let her rough house with them like she did with Jasmine. She is spending a lot more time in the house with me and them. She seems to just want to be near us. My son (Jasmine was his dog) went out and played ball with her yesterday. I think that was a help to both of them. I guess it is just a matter of time and being a little more attentive to her. Having the pups around helps to keep her entertained anyways.
    My vet sent me a sympathy card with a collie on the outside of it. I was really touched by that. I've had the same vet for many years.

i am so sorry for your loss of jasmine.. i'm sure you both must be feeling the same way. i'm not sure how to ease her grieving, maybe just spend lots of time with her and make sure to make her feel very loved.

I am sure that helping your dog grieve is not so different then helping a person grieve. Lot's of love, time, one-on-one attention should help your dog move through the grief.

Good luck and I am so sorry for your loss.