Thread: Feline Linguistics

Feline Linguistics

[Hmmm...this will be a challenge, to think of phonetic spellings for these sounds... ]

I adopted a rescued kitten a few months ago and, due to the quantity and volume of his purring, I named him Evinrude. He has the most unusual, adorable way of communicating. It sounds like he's saying "Brrrruuuuddt?" (with a Spanish-style rolling-R; the U's are as in 'cute'). I put the question mark on the end, because the pitch of the sound goes up, like when you ask a question. Sometimes he says several short ones, like "Brrdt-brrtt-bdtt?" Note: it is not the same "chatter" sound that I've heard cats make when they are watching birds.

He talks like this in all situations--
    when directed at or responding to me,
    when with his "brother" Foster [another cat],
    when begging for snacks,
    when he is asleep and something startles him awake, or
    when he's just trotting down the hallway alone.

I've only heard Evinrude say a standard "meow" about twice in his life, and it was particularly pipsqueaky/babyish although he is about 10 months old now.

Does anyone else's cat talk like this? Does your cat say other unusual "words"?

Hi, Both my cats (black DSH) do the exact
    same thing!(you described it purrfectly) though it is more prominent with my female. Her brother will make a little
    humming sound when he wants to be cuddled.
    Star (the female) is also a non stop chatter
    box, especially when I've left her alone for awhile. I think she's scolding me, LOL.

------------------
    Sam

I also have 2 (male) cats that do this! Could the "BBBrruuddtt-ing" be a learned sound? I ask only because these 2 cats are both adopted from a street cat rescue society, and they lived together in the foster home for a few months before I adopted them. They are not related. My 2 older (female) cats do not make this sound. They meouw normally. I really like the question mark sound at the end of the bbrruuddtt??

Ok--have to ask!

Does anyone's cat actually speak words? (Remember the "ILUVYOU" dog from the pizza commercials?)

My first cat, Thomas, 'said' what sounded EXACTLY like the word "MOM". He 'said' this on two different occasions.
    My second cat, Max, once called for his "MAMA".

I have a friend who said her cat has called for "MOM" once or twice as well. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience...

---
    No home is complete without the pitter-patter of kitty feet!

Most of my cats make this brrr type sound, although its always seemed more of a 'brrrup!' sort of noise in their case, ending more in a 'p' sound than a 't'. None of mine ever meeow properly, and Mulder makes a noise that seems more akin to a squawk than anything! Mostly when she wants me to feed her!

Love

Wendy

My Tabby "Montana" talks constintly.. and has a chripy sound when he wants to play kissy face.. he rubs his face in mine and wants me to kiss him on his forhead. His purr is very very quite and usually only purrs when unexpected love is shown, like if you go kiss him when he's sleeping, then it's the "irk" and purrs. I firmly believe he trys to speak human to me, and goes to the door and say "I wan out" or "Out" Normanly he can be heard althrough the house talking to himself or one of his cat mates. I love this part of him, and speak back to him.. I really feel like they try to comunicate with us...(I've been told I'm crazy before)
    Moira

My female makes a wide variety of sounds. The vet said she's never heard this quantity from any cat in all her years of practice. Catherina is especially vocal if there has been an earthquake in the vicinity, or if one is coming. We call her our earthquake detector because she's very accurate.

My two cats make a variety of meows. Most of them are ususal sounds, I think, except for the one sound my male persian/domestic Max makes when he sees the crows gather on the antenna on top of the building across from us. He'll sit and quietly squawk (sort of like 'rraa', with soft r sounds),at them for up to a half an hour.

Hi everyone --
    My cats also make the "brrrp?" noise in a number of different situations. I read that it is a greeting sound for cats; kittens learn to greet their mother and each other using this noise. But clearly adult cats may use it in other contexts too. My late kitty Merlin would appear to say actual words: "go out" (when he wanted out) and "oh wow!" when something extraordinary or amazing had happened. And his sister Pinky never meowed properly at all, but would only say "quack!"

------------------
    Idgie's Mom

Sounds cats make...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda View Post
    [Hmmm...this will be a challenge, to think of phonetic spellings for these sounds... ]

I adopted a rescued kitten a few months ago and, due to the quantity and volume of his purring, I named him Evinrude. He has the most unusual, adorable way of communicating. It sounds like he's saying "Brrrruuuuddt?" (with a Spanish-style rolling-R; the U's are as in 'cute'). I put the question mark on the end, because the pitch of the sound goes up, like when you ask a question. Sometimes he says several short ones, like "Brrdt-brrtt-bdtt?" Note: it is not the same "chatter" sound that I've heard cats make when they are watching birds.

He talks like this in all situations--
    when directed at or responding to me,
    when with his "brother" Foster [another cat],
    when begging for snacks,
    when he is asleep and something startles him awake, or
    when he's just trotting down the hallway alone.

I've only heard Evinrude say a standard "meow" about twice in his life, and it was particularly pipsqueaky/babyish although he is about 10 months old now.

Does anyone else's cat talk like this? Does your cat say other unusual "words"?
    I'm just so happy to find that my cat and all of his assorted sounds is perfectly normal. He makes a burrrrup sound whenever he sees me, whenever I wake him up, or if he is startled.

I really thought I was being original when I'm named my constantly -purring adopted kittens Evan and Rudy. At the very first vet check, they purred through every poke and shot, and the vet said " you should name them the motorboat twins! " Evinrude came to mind and has been a good fit for them as Evan and Rudy.

They just had their third birthday. Incidentally their mother was feral, and one was weaned when she showed up with them on our front door step. Apparently it was the last day of weaning for the other. We did put out some milk and food for her, and she sat in the Sun with them for about 6 hours, right by our front door. She would run away when we came out but she would come back to the kittens soon after. When we went to bed they were out there still. The next morning the kittens were there, but we never saw her again. We have since felt as though she chose us. And they have been the first cat's I have ever had as an adult.

I told that part of the story because I wanted you to know that neither cat meowed for the first year and a half. They were just quiet, as if they had not really been taught to meow. One is still that way, but I have taught Evan to meow when he wants to go outside. And he will on occasion when he is lonely.

I was always a dog person. But aren't cats wonderful creatures :-)!