Thread: mad cat!!!!!!

mad cat!!!!!!

Please help me!!! I have not seen my cat since my divorce which has been about 10 months. I have a new apartment and my ex gave me the cat to live with me. This cat and I were best friends but now she is very, very aggressive. I don't know if she's mad because she's in a different home or if she's mad at me. She's 7 years old and I'm afraid she's not going to be able to handle the new living arrangements. She hasn't come out from under the sofa for 30 hours. All she does is growl at me and and tries to scratch me. I love this cat very much and I miss her companionship. Will she ever come around and what can I do to make things comfortable for her?

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Welcome to PT. I'm no expert on this, but many on this board have recommended Feliway or Rescue Remedy to calm the cat. Might be worth a shot.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Welcome to Pet Talk Janie! I'm sorry I don't have any advice either, other than what RedHedd suggested. How long has she been back with you? It may just take some time and patience to finally get her to calm down.

Anyway I wanted to Welcome you to Pet Talk, there are a lot of people here that can help you with your problem.

Willie

Thanks Willie! She's only been back with me since yesterday. I know she'll need some time, but I was sure she would remember me. She hasn't had a bite of her food nor has she used the litter box. My daughter and I can't walk by the sofa without her attacking us, much less sit on it. I've never had to deal with a cat that was so agressive.

I don't think I have either. What RedHedd mentioned might just work for you. You might give that a try and see what happens.
    I hope she settles down for you.

I see you are from Alabama, what part of Alabama are you from?
    I go to Florence sometimes shopping or to just see a movie. The town I live in is so small they don't have a movie theatre. We don't even have a Wal-Mart here!

Willie

I'm going to call the vet and see if they have what RedHedd suggested. It's terrible! I live in Birmingham. I've been there all my life. Funny how you meet somebody that is close to where you live on this internet. It never ceases to amaze me.

All your kitty needs is time to adjust to the new apartment. Let her come to you, set treats around the apartment maybe even catnip just to get her to come out from where she is hiding and sit on the floor in a visible spot for your kitty to see you, then just say her name but don't move. I had problems with my cat Katie when we moved, she would hide in the basement under the sofa and would not come out for days.

Hi Janie,
    WELCOME!
    I have a Calico that has been ticked at me since January becasue we adopted another adult cat....
    Go to pet Smart and get the FELIWAY. It comes in a spray and also plug in. You can get the RESCUE REMEDY at any health food store. I am still using both for my Shadow.
    Give your baby some time. She could be upset because she has been taken from her old home and plopped in totally new environment. GIve her time.. PLEASE let us know how things are going.

Blessings,
    Mommacat.