Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dew claws

From what I can gather, dew claws are like our appendix and wisdom teeth: They don't really serve any purpose, but we've got 'em anyway. Arthur has both his front ones, and one little back one, which I plan on having removed just cuz I don't want to take the chance on him getting them caught on something. Just like an appendix or wisdom teeth, they're useless, but if something happens to them it can be fatal. Stupid evolution! Supposed to take care of things like that. hehehe

Guster, did you know there are breeds like the Great Pyrenees that have DOUBLE dew claws, even in the back? Those can be funky.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Heidi had hers removed when she was a puppy. Its VERY important that hers were removed as she is a hunting dog, and she would rip them VERY easily. Its a lot safer for her, and I feel better knowing that she can't bleed to death. She had all four of hers removed, well at least I think all four, I can only see 2 scars on her front ones, so I don't know if she had back ones. I guess I will have to look.

We do dew claw removals all the time at the shelter. It's easiest on the dog if it's done when they are a few days old, but we often have them removed when the dog is neutered. Chum had his removed as an adult. They weren't connected at all. He just needed a local anasethetic and someone with treats to distract him from what the vet was doing!

They are almost always removed on sled dogs as the claws can get ripped off in deep snow. yuk!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

What? So are you saying ALL dogs have dew claws in the front AND back?

Lucky came from a byb and he sure as heck never went under anesthesia or vaccinations. *I* paid for his neuter and vaccs and we never did a dew claw removal. He only has front dews, though.

Originally posted by Giselle
    What? So are you saying ALL dogs have dew claws in the front AND back?

Nope, only certain breeds have both front and back and even then not every dog will get them both.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Pippi is the only one of my dogs that came with back dew claws. We had them removed last week when she was spayed at a low cost spay/neuter clinic. They was no bone and being a Jack Russell she jumps alot and I was afraid she would catch them in something and rip them off. She did chew the one open - I guess the stitches itched. It was like a big open sore but the vet said just let it heal - keeping triple antibotic ointment on it.

She was in to see my vet this week and I was told that not all dogs have back dew claws - what he said was very few breeds have them. He mentioned Samoyds but not any other. I know Pippi does not have Samoyd in her so I guess other breeds have them too. He told me it was a good thing I had them removed when she was spayed because they do often catch on things.

Some of the reading I have done recommend that you don't remove front dew claws because when dogs run very fast and especially in making turns those claws do touch ground and they need them for those turns and heavy running. I guess it probably comes down to what you have your dog for - fun or work (hunting, etc.)

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather