Thread: Pill Pockets!

Pill Pockets!

I have yet to test them on the cats, but thought you guys would like to know just a little about them before hand.

I sent away for the because Miley is taking two pills twice a day for the next couple of weeks and boy is she not enjoying it! She is fine once I capture her! She avoids me like the plague right now! I have to con her into sitting near me, then I grab her. Juni will not be that easy. I plan to have Juni's teeth cleaned when I take Chloe into the Vet for her spaying. I know that Juni will have to take meds after the dental scaling, so in preparation for that, I will start feeding the pill pockets as treats, to get them aquainted with the smell etc.

There are 40 in a packet and they look rather slimey to me. I have not opened the packet as I am in my office right now and don't want the odor wafting up the hall.

I surely hope Miley is happy with this new pill pocket thing, as I am beginning to get a complex!

sas

Sallyanne, I am very curious to hear how they work and if they work I may have to start an import business.

My co-worker Gudrun has Mona who has to take beta blockers twice daily and now after one year nothing works: no cheese, no liver pate and lots of the other fatty sausages Germany has to offer

I am happy Filou doesn't have to take the stuff all the time but he comes up with an infection about once a year and he is like Miley (in more than one sense): he feels I am THINKING "pill" and vanishes like Jeanie in the bottle

Yes, please, tell us about them!!! Where did you get the pockets?

This is a description of Eddie last night...

he feels I am THINKING "pill" and vanishes like Jeanie in the bottle

"Pill Pockets" - read all about 'em >>>

Pill Pockets - OnLine page

Looks "interesting"...

But Dad would rather "load da Gun" an
    *shoot* da Kat his pill
    wiffa Pill Shooter!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I have not seen them before, but they're definately worth a try! Only, I imagine that some cats will chew them and spit the pill out. I don't want to put you off, but I know Fister would probably do that. If the pill has a strong smell, I'd not recommend crushing it, but otherwise, that may be a good idea.

Best of luck getting it down her throat!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I have tried lots of things with Miley

First of all, Miley is not a big eater, so finding something that she craves is nearly impossible. I did try to hide her pills in some cream cheese and of course, she ate all of the cheese and one pill! So back to the drawing board. I will try to cut the pill into smaller pieces and or mash it, then put it in the pocket. But first, I must see if she will eat an empty pocket! That will be the big test.

I have quite a supply and will share them with any house guest who comes to Camp Vermont.

I will try out the pill pocket with Ms. Miley tonight and let you all know what she does or does not do with them! Any bets?

SAS

I'm positive she'll eat the empty one!

These sound very interesting. Hopefully they'll work for Miley. They might come in handy for my wild child Cirrus.

Surely glad I didn't wage any bets on this!

As one might suspect, Miley could care less about the pill pockets. I have not tried the chicken flavored ones yet, but the shrimp flavored did not entice her at all.

On the other hand, JuniRose loved them and in fact, ate two of the ones with Miley's pills tucked into them! I don't think Juni will suffer from the pill taking..... In the long run, Miley will be fine without the pill pockets and I am very happy that Juni likes them. Juni is the one that struggles so when you capture her to do anything to her, even clip her nails.

So, I would say that the "jury is still out" on the verdict about the pill pockets. My guess is that the success rate is tied/related to the cat's personality and food preferences.

If I get Juni to like them when and if she has to take meds, then I will be happy.

SAS and her brats
    Last edited by sasvermont; 04-23-2004 at 07:06 AM.

Filou is very curious about food and thinks (falsely) that human food is better than others. So it might help if I ate one first

Skinny would eat the pocket and anything else you put in front of him. LOL
    Thumper will eat her food only, no treats, nothing found on the floor by accident.
    I've never had trouble giving medications to Skinny. Thumper has never been medicated but I would hazard a guess she would be easy.

Re: Surely glad I didn't wage any bets on this!

Originally posted by sasvermont

On the other hand,
    JuniRose loved them and in fact,
    ate two of the ones with Miley's pills tucked into them!

So glad SOMEbody liked em!!

Boots, I'm sure, would first *spit out* a "loaded" Pill Pocket;
    then re-examine his options;
    and go through the motions of consuming the Pocket with relish...

followed seconds later with a "Pa-Tueeey"
    as the *pill* is ejected across the room!

KATZ - gotta Luv em!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

HAAaaaaaaayyyyy! How did these work with the babies? I would really give this some serious consideration as to having to make a trip to the vet to have a pill given because they won't swollow it at home... Won't a cat chew it before swollowing? Give details!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!