Thread: The Duck

The Duck

Yes, Ducks are wonderful creatures! I love all birds, animals, etc..& Ducks are exceptionally cute! I've had many pet birds/ducks in the past, but my favorite, by far, was Roberto!
    When we first brought him home, he had a sister hen who was brutally murdered in their pen by an unknown wild creature(raccoon or cat, most likely) Ever since that day, he bonded with us, like no other pet I ever had. He trusted us completely, and would peck with his beak at the door when it started to get dark so we would let him inside. We had no fence around our yard but yet he was well aware of the boundaries of it and never left!
    One time, I was made to feel guilty about having such a creature as a pet, so I brought Roberto to a nearby lake where other ducks dwelled. I watched him there for hours, then I left. As night fell, I missed him so. I wanted to see him again, so I went to the lake. It was dark, so I had trouble finding him, but when I did, it broke my heart to see him being visciously attacked by another duck. I immediately ran to his aid and scared the other away, but he was so sad, he laid almost limp in my arms. He was back to his normal self within a few days at his permanent home, our home.
    I don't know why some animals seem almost evil, but I think you did a wonderful thing, and they would not have given up till Gertrude was dead, probably. It doesn't make much sense to us humans, but it's good to know she is wanted where she is now.
    Roberto eventually passed on with age, but he had a good life. Gertrude is beautiful, I hope you have many happy years to come!

Fellow Duck Lover

Hi I missed Gertrudes big day but ocationally I check the past pets. Listen I am the moderator Of a pet duck group.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/petducksrus/
    Please come and join us. There are so many people there who have ducks as pets and could help you with advise for the special needs of ducks. There are even some hanidcaped ducks there too. Many of them were rescues from ponds where they were abandoned. Attached is a recent picture of Nibbles my duck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nibbles