Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm ready to kill my cat!!!!

I'm ready to kill my cat!!!!

I bought a beautiful bedroom set in October.
    Every now and then - usually in the early morning my Panda would scratch on the underside of the box springs and I'd yell STOP and she would stop. Well the other night I decided to look under the bed and see how much scratching was going on and to my horror - this cat has made a mess underneath my new box springs. It is tattered - the material that covers the box springs is shredded - I just sat down and cried - I know it is Panda that's doing this. I'm ready to not just declaw her, but cut off her damn paws!! I havent even paid for this new bed yet!!! I can't be the only one that has very mean thoughts about their pets - and I know - it comes with the territory - just had to vent!!!

Former User Guest
    Sorry about what happened Purrley...You're not the only one. I've had the same feelings few times after Casper and Kitty destroy our stuff. Don't really know what else to say, can you block Panda's way to the bedroom? Or under the bed? We've blocked C&K's way under the bed

Simple solution - get a chunk of plywood nearly the size of your box-spring, and place it under the box spring so it is what she will have to claw at. Heavy cardboard would work temporarily, but cheap plywood will be easier to find than cardboard that big, anyway.

The good news is that the damage is cosmetic, not structural, and that if you want it to look pretty again, a big chunk of fabric the right size and a heavy stapler will do the trick, without kitty-surgery or human angst! It's either blocking her access, or making under-the-bed off-limits.
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, Purrley, I'm sorry to hear about your bed set. Poor Panda is playful, obviously. At least no one looks under the bed!

I think most of us have ripped box spring covers. I know Butter has shredded mine, and it is new too! When I was growing up, our Tigger, created a nice neat little hole in my box spring cover, and would climb up in there and walk around and sometimes even take a nap.

I have learned, since Butter came to live here, that I have to isolate him if I don't want things destroyed. He is "you know what" on wheels. Especially since he likes to shred any kind of paper, I have to shut off my office and living room at night, and when I am away from home, so he won't tear up my loan files (which he has certainly done in the past). And, he goes outdoors, which I know is against what many of you believe in. But when it gets too bad, I know he is bored and needs to play outside for a while. Not much he can hurt outside.

My other suggestion for you would be to make sure she has plenty of distractions, like cardboard boxes to play in, a "tree" to climb on and play with. And I've also seen it suggested that you rotate these things, so its something new to distract her all the time. And Karen, like usual is right on target. The plywood is a wonderful idea to protect the bottom of the box springs.

But no, I have never wanted to "kill" Butter, nor have I been inclined to declaw him. I haven't ever really gotten angry with him. But YES, I have wished for him to be calmer, more like Mimi, who has destroyed very little in her 12 years with me.

All I can say is practice a little patience and shut her out of the bedroom, as hard as that might be, until you find a solution. Good luck to you (and to you Panda).

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

Oh Purrley I am so sorry to hear about your box spring! It is heartbreaking to read your story, and I know how awful it must be to have something destroyed that is practically brand new!! I know having pets can be costly and some of our prized possessions may be lost, but in the long run I don't think we'd trade their companionship for anything that we have lost. That said, I fully understand the frustration and anger that you feel! I think Karen has come up with a terrific solution! Isn't it wonderful to have a place like this to toss out a problem and see the solutions come in! It's also wonderful to be able to vent as you have done. We hear you, believe me, and have experienced similar destructive activities on the part of our fur friends!! My mom had given me some depression glass pieces many years ago and they were displayed on a shelf in my kitchen. When Trevor was a kitten he sent the candy dish crashing to the floor. Over the years my dogs have chewed up countless treasures. Somehow, though we are upset and angry at the time, we realize that they are only doing the things that they are "wired" to do, i.e., behaving as a cat or a dog. I hope you can use Karen's idea and, by the way, don't apologize for venting! We understand!

Hi Purrley,

Like the others, I am sorry that you are going through this. When Fifi was using the living room instead of the litter box we were at the same point that you are now.

We found that it was the mold under the carpet that was affecting her. No more carpet, no more litter box problems.

The fabric under the box springs is there only to make the box springs palletable to handle. This is shear material that allows mosture trapped in the box springs to escape and keep the humidity in the "box" low.

What ever solution is in place needs to allow the breathing to happen. I would spray the inside of the box with a good disinfectant spray (no reflection on you! Stuff happens during manufacture and warehousing.) and after a couple of hours use Fabrese (SP) to kill the rest of the odors.

Fresh wood, like in the frame of the box, gives off strong natural odors that cats love.

First replace the fabric. Upolstery shops will have this in rolls and probably have the stuff in rolls of the correct width. Tear off the old stuff and put the new stuff on with a staple gun. Excess material should be folded under PRIOR to stapling.

Next is the cardboard trick. Four sheets of cardboard. This will leave a gap down the center and from side to side. Fill this with strips of aluminum foil, loose and crinkly.

You could add a sratching post in the same room and praise the beast for using the right place.

When we thought that we were going to have to get rid of Fifi, I cried out loud right here at my desk. I vowed, long ago, that if anyone had to put one of my animals down, it was going to be ME. I feel that I owe them that to take matters into my own hand. If I turned that duty over to a vet it would be like abandoning them.

Thinking that if one of my cats had to be killed (no other word suits) that I had to be the one to do it with my own hands made me think more creatively as to how to help my beloved pets to LIVE.

My wife says that I am cruel and heartless. I am only cruel to myself and heartless humans. I love my animals and I know that I am responsible for their health and happiness.

Pick up you cat, look it right in the eyes, and tell it, "I am going to help you live here all of your life." Then kiss it on the forehead and remember - - anybody that looks at the bottom of your box springs deserves what they see!
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, to all who replied in my dire need of understanding and advise. I think I've got the solution and Charles - I will do exactly what you say - I love my Panda Bear to death and I will help her to live with me the rest of her life. And you know - there better not be anyone looking under my bed I needed that!!!!! OH and I will also plant a great big smacker-roo on her forehead - no more evil I'm gonna cut off your paws thoughts!!!

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

Hey Purrley,
    I had a similar situation, thanks to Stump. I hadn't realized what he had been doing to the underside of the box spring on my bed until one night when I was in bed reading, I heard this scratching noise. When it didn't stop after I had yelled "No, Stump!" several times, I got out of the bed and looked underneath. There was Stump lying on his back, pulling himself by his front claws the full length of the bed! When he got to the end, he'd turn around and claw his way back to the other end. It was so funny I had to laugh, even though the material covering the box spring was pretty badly shredded. But hey, who's gonna know? (except Stump, me, and now everyone on Pet Talk! )
    Cindy (aka Manxcat)
    household staff of Stump and Emmett

In various stages of Ritz's latter kittenhood, she had this annoying habit of chewing on parts of the DRYWALL. We found one or two places where she had torn the facing of the sheetrock paper off and then obsessed over the spot until they were rather unsightly holes. We covered these temporarily with cardboard and eventually took them away---no instances since.

She also likes to "crawl upside down" under the sofa...this must be some kitty fantasy that represents the closest they can come to walking on the ceiling.
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

I have over the years replaced the underside of my mattress - you can get the same type of fabric at the larger fabric stores, but your best bet is to get something thicker, almost a canvas thickness (or even canvas if you can afford it) or even thick plastic sheeting. You have to go to a fabric store that has an upholstery section in order to get something in a wide enough width. It also takes at least two people (the more the merrier) to get it on right.

Karen's solution may be the best - I had never thought of that!

I have a new mattress set, too, but thankfully none of mine spend much time under the bed.

However, my new comforter that has already been through the wash about 10 times to get all the cat hair and grass barf off is another story.....

Originally posted by Spencer-The-Lion:
    <STRONG>Tonight I had the urge to kill Ernie. I had bagged fireplace ashes for the garden. Just noticed that those two bags were spilled all over the carpet in an apparent fight with Spencer . After starting to hand clean (the only way), I heard the loud thud from a cat turning over the boxes. I screamed at Ernie and he knew I meant business. Spencer has ashes on him too. I need a rest.</STRONG>
    Jee whiz, Dad, I can hear them from here - "We just wanted to grow some neat plants ta demolish here in the house, too! I mean, we knew those wuz for the garden, so maybe that's howya get plants, and we'd shur have a good time tearing up some new plants, huh?"

"Humans ... they just don't understand!"
    I've Been Frosted

Spencer - and I thought I had my hands full!!!!! I feel much better now

Spencer it sounds like it would have made an enjoyable "America's Funniest Home Videos" clip. Unfortunately it wasn't funny for you! Hope the kitties behave for a while to give you some peace, and congrats on surviving the crown!

Former User Guest
    LOL,, good thing we're not alone....Purrley, read my post Cants home alone=huge mess, and you'll feel even better

Poor Chuck!!! Sounds like you had a pretty rough day at your house yesterday!!

Sometimes (a lot of the time actually), I am so glad that I don't have any carpet in my house. It sure is a lot easier to clean up those messes!!! With 2 big dogs and 2 cats, I would be vacuuming every day!! So, instead, I sweep or Swifter every day!!!

Hope those boys will behave better for you tonight. Seems like the girls are much better behaved!! You never tell stories on them.

Stay sane, and warm!!