Thread: Restraining in a car & booster seat question

Restraining in a car & booster seat question

How do you restrain your dog in your car? I have a terrier mutt (about 20 pounds). Do you use a dog seat belt? What about a crate? Also, has anybody purchased a booster seat for their smaller dogs? Does your dog seem to enjoy it? How is your dog restrained in its booster seat? Any advice would be very appreciative. I am new to this forum & this is my first question. I hope you can all help me. Thanks!

I personally crate our dog when they are in the car. I don't mind if they ride in the back uncrated around town, but when we go long distance I always crate them. They seem happier so that makes me happy I also think it's alot safer.

I also wanted to Welcome you to PT

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

If we just go for short rides then the dogs either ride in the front or back uncrated.

But if we go on a trip somewhere then the dogs ride some of the time uncrated and part of the time crated.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

there are special dog "seat belts" you can buy , it's like a harness and it plugs in to the seabelt thing somehow. i've never actually used one, but i've heard they work pretty well. BW, welcome to PT i'm Shannon and i have a rabbit named Cadbury (you can see him in my sig)

I think a crate would be good, if you have one that fits in your vehicle. Finn's crate doesn't fit in my car. But, he rides really well, and, I'm going to get him one of those dog harnesses that hooks to the seatbelt. For now, I just let him keep his regular harness on and I sortof rig his leash handle and hook to the seatbelt so that even if he tried to, he wouldn't go far. and, if, god forbid, we were in an accident, he woudn't go far. And, they even make little car seats for smaller dogs. I'm sure you could find one online. Maybe drs foster and smith?

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Originally posted by Tina
    If we just go for short rides then the dogs either ride in the front or back uncrated.

But if we go on a trip somewhere then the dogs ride some of the time uncrated and part of the time crated.

SAME HERE
    BY THE WAY WELCOME TO PT!!
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill