Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Did Your Cat Get His or Her Name?

How Did Your Cat Get His or Her Name?

My cat 'Red' is named after 'Red Adair' a childhood hero of mine, also I thought it was a pretty cool name for a pet . His brother 'Black' is called 'Black' just to match 'Red' .

Two of our cats were adopted, and one is my fiancee's brother's girlfriend's sister's cat Each cat already had names, we just let the names remain the same.

felix was going to be named something majastic like jupiter after the planet or nelson after nelson mandela, but when i got him home he looked so much like a felix i had to change plans. my previous cat halley was named after halley's comet because i got him the year it passed through.

Mimi was named by my daughter's dad. She is very feminine and petite. The name just seemed to fit. We have had her since she was 6 weeks old.
    Butter, who has only been with us a short time, is creamy colored, with butterscotch colored ears. Thus, the name "Butter". Someone else mentioned that his name ought to be "Butter Ball" because of his nice round face. You must look at both of them. I'll list the topic so you can flip through and see them.
    I know at least Butter's picture is in this topic under Cat Rescue:
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/Forum14/HTML/000016.html

And here is where Mimi can be found:
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/Forum12/HTML/000063.html

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited February 14, 2001).]

My male cat Joe was named after a woman I "admired" - I didn't tell her though, I wasn't sure she would appreciate a cat being named after her. I, like many of us here, would probably be flattered but I found out later that Jo didn't really like cats...and subsequently I lost interest in her

My other cat's name Typha is latin for "cat-tails" (the plant).

My third cat is called Pani. He is a abandonded cat I have semi-adopted. Pani is Maori (New Zealand indigenous peoples) for "orphan". For those of you who know who "horse" from Footrot Flats is then you will know what kind of cat Pani is

Originally posted by Martin:
    My cat 'Red' is named after 'Red Adair' a childhood hero of mine, also I thought it was a pretty cool name for a pet . His brother 'Black' is called 'Black' just to match 'Red' .
    My cats name is Jazz, or Jazzer or jazzer-razamataz....he is a cool cat
    He belonged to my friend Larry until Larry's land lady found out and then when Lar asked me to take him, it was love at first site
    Larry had already named him so the name stuck and it fits him very well )

I fostered a cat who had two cats in my closet on the 4th of July (Independence Day to the non-US folks) so, naturally, they were named Yankee and Doodle. However, my son almost immediately started calling Doodle Boosie, and that kind of stuck, so that was forever her "nickname". They are now at the rainbow bridge, though.

They had a stepbrother that we named Cosmo after Cosmo Kramer on Seinfeld. He was an amazingly sweet but goofy cat, and he was soon called anything from Comical to Cosmic. He, too, is at the rainbow bridge.

Almost two years ago, a little blue and cream tabby adopted us, and my son started calling her Peaches, but would not say why (to this day he swears I thought of the name!). About a month later she produced three young'uns. While she was still carrying them, my son said if there was a boy, he would be named Big Mac. I don't know if this was after the sandwich, or the character from "On the Waterfront" or something else, but one of them was a boy. It's ironic he was named before he was even born, because he now weights almost 20 lbs.! He is a tuxedo, as was one of his sisters, who of course got named Cookie, since she was an Oreo cat. But the poor little runt had no name! We finally decided on Pepper, partly because as a brown tabby she kind of has a peppery color, partly because we had to continue the food theme and couldn't think of anything else, and partly because of her fiery little personality.

Have had many more cats over the years, as well as about many fosters, some named and some not, but these are the most recent.

Fuzzy317 Complex relationship!! but you didn’t say what their names actually are

Felixowner I like the idea of names from astronomical objects - but then astronomy is a hobby of mine

Lhg0962 Butter is a great name for him, but if you’d asked me I would have said it was because he looks like he’s had his face IN the butter!
    Mimi looks sweet!
    … speaking of names, lhg0962 doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue! Can we use your other name please?

Troy I don’t. Who is "horse" from Footrot Flats?

Spencer You do like your lists don’t you !! My favourite of your cat names is Chairman Meow. Is it shortened to Chairman?

D_J Jazz is a name

4 feline house You need another one called ‘Cream’ to go with ‘Peaches’. I had noticed from an earlier posting that your cats were all named after food, I see now that it’s just coincidence !

First I must explain that I never liked cats (of course I had never been exposed to them, as I was brought up with only dogs.)

With that said, one morning I woke my son up for school (high school age )and out from under his pillow came a tiny orange tabby cat. It had been bought for his friend's grandmother whose cat had just died. It turns out that she didn't want another cat, so my son smuggled him into the house. The first thing he said was "Please can we keep him? I already have a named picked out." He got his name by way of the spoof British band, Spinal Tap (they have a "mockumentary" out now called This Is Spinal Tap) that my son really liked. One of the band members, Nigel Tufnel, has a ferret named Trevor. The rest is history. Now, almost 8 years later, Trevor is an integral part of our home and our lives.

Andy, my white cat, was found by my mom at a yard sale at the shore. My daughter pleaded with me for him to join our family, and came up with the name Andy because she said he "looked like an Andy." Today I can't imagine life without Andy either.

An added thought here....Spencer, I had to smile about Garbo's naming. You said she is afraid of humans and at the same time loves their company. That pretty much describes Gabe (my daughter's ragdoll). Maybe she should scramble the letters in his name a little, and create "Gabo" because he sometimes vants to be alone.

Originally posted by Martin:
    Fuzzy317 Complex relationship!! but you didn’t say what their names actually are
    Sorry about not including names (my fiancee introduced me to cats, so I may describe things odd.) All cats were adopted, so they already had names.

Our first cat is named Jackson, a Maine Coon. He is middle age, and very tame. He likes catnip but will not take anything offered from the table, not even the treat 'Pounces'. He gets along with the other cats and our dog, Eli (a collie/lab mix, about 60 pounds).

The second cat is Rosie, an American shorthair. Her name is Rosie O'Grady, but we leave off the second part. She seems just out of her teens, and the explorer, into everything. If you let her, she will eat off your plate, she has even tried some of our dog food. She's gets along with Jackson, but doesn't get along with our other cat or our dog.

Cat #3 is the fiancee's brother's girlfriend's sister's cat, named Fluffy, an American longhair. She has been moved around a lot due to some apartments not taking pets, and her being neglected by some owner's friends. She is much older than Jackson. My fiancee and I have talked about it, and we want her to stay with us permanently.

I have pictures of Jackson, Rosie, and Eli, but not yet have one of Fluffy. I soon may put Jackson up for Cat of the Day.

[This message has been edited by Fuzzy317 (edited February 15, 2001).]

DENNIS BUBBA HYPHEN POTTER (shameless plug, CatoftheDay 7/30/00) was known as "Dennis the Menace" because he was/is so mischievious. But shortly after we moved to North Carolina this terminally beautiful and delightful Himalayan BEGIN TO MEOW WITH A TWANG! I was in broadcasting, had TV/Radio talk shows and my show was called, The Joyce Rue Hyphen Potter Show...the hyphen included in my name was accented because people would hear "Rue Potter" (my maiden and married names) and wonder what kind of name Ruepotter was. So we just played with the hyphen thing until it just caught on...thus Dennis Bubba Hyphen Potter. Also, Dennis Bubba's companion cat was named "Ditto Dudda Hyphen Potter", as everything Dennis did, Ditto did...thus the Ditto.
    So...that's the name story. Yaw'l have a Skippity do dah delicious day from me and DB.
    Blessings,
    Joyce

OK, Martin, just for you. I have re-registered under my real name, since I use it all the time anyway!
    As soon as I pick up the password from my e-mail, I will begin posting as LOGAN!
    Logan

My Charlie was named Bad Andy by his previous owner...he was "just a wittle kitty" and would get into lots of trouble!
    When she gave him to me (she already had three cats), he was almost seven months old, and not as "bad" anymore, so I said, "you're not Bad Andy, you're Good Charlie".
    I also think Charles is a very dignified name, and cats are very dignified animals. The nickname Charlie is just plain cute and suits him to a T. I wonder if I shouldn't have named him Sunshine, though, because that's what I call him most of the time. He just lights up my life.

 Pam; That’s quite a story! Does your son know the song ‘Clever Trevor’ by the late Ian Dury? He might like it !

 Fuzzy317; Thanks for the names. So, you’ve got Jackson, Eli, Rosie, Fluffy and Fuzzy all in one house! Dare I ask what your fiancée’s name is ?

 Joyce; You have got to be joking! DENNIS BUBBA HYPHEN POTTER !!! …er, is that short for anything?
     I like ‘Ditto’ as a name, and the reason behind it

 Logan; Thanks : I’m sure you’re a star but lhg0962 sounds like an astronomical designation! Now I’m no longer !

 Thelmalu; Cute, cute, cute.

[This message has been edited by Martin (edited February 15, 2001).]

My cat Marius got his name from a series of books that I really enjoy reading. Marius, in the books, is a nobleman from ancient Rome. Marius just looks so regal, and has that exotic look about him. My husband named his cat Scooter, because when we went to pick him up as a kitten, he was just 'scootin' all over the floor! He is so highstrung!

We have fun with the names of the cats that come to the cat rescue where I volunteer. One of my favorite namings was a litter of 3 feral kittens that came in, and we named them Athos, Porthos, and Dartanian (the 3 muskateers). They were little black kittens with white spots on their chest. Rambunctious too! They would spar with any other cat that came in contact with them, so we had to separate them into thier own private living space so they could be socialized!

------------------
    "In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats." - English proverb