Thread: Amitriptyline for Spraying??

Amitriptyline for Spraying??

Sirrahved, Devon (my DIL) has really been through the ringer with this problem. Yes, Pickles is neutered, (as a kitten - is now a year old ) he has been to the vet and has no medical problems, the litterbox is meticulously clean - he started this several months ago and is literally destroying their apartment. Feliway has not worked. She has bought the black light and bacterial cleansers and seeks out every single drop she can find - is doing a pretty good job but this is SPRAYING rather than puddles so it is even harder. I think she has read everything on the Internet about behavior, spraying, etc. and is ready to tear her hair out and I feel so bad for her!! I think she is going to call the vet in the morning and ask about amitriptyline. I know they cannot afford Prozac. (Ami is about .05 a day and Prozac is about $1 a day)
    Has anyone had success with Ami??? Sorry about cross posting but I am as frustrated as she is and just trying to help her - I live in another state and feel helpless
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 04-09-2004 at 11:48 PM.

If the reason the cat is spraying is STRESS (as an example, too many cats in the household......like mine) it should work. I have 2 on it and it seems to help.

If the cat is spraying due to other reason (such as litter box aversion caused by the pain of a declaw) this drug may not help. The association of the pain of the feet and using the litter box will still be there.