Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still spraying... drugs next step?

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"

Still spraying... drugs next step?

My hubby and I don't know what to do. It has been almost two weeks since we got the feliway, and now on two occasions has sprayed very near the plug in. Are drugs the next step? Is there no hope after we try drugs? Jason and I fight about this, I go crazy trying to keep my apartment clean... This is a HUGE source of stress on us! PLEASE HELP! I don't know what to do anymore!!!!!!

Is your cat fixed? If not, that might be the next step. All the cats I've ever had have been fixed and they've never done that spraying thing.

(Am I talking about the right thing? I admit I don't know too much about cats.. o_o' lol..)

Here's an article about spraying, hope it helps.

spraying

Amitriptyline/Elavil

Sirrahved, Devon (my DIL) has really been through the ringer with this problem. Yes, Pickles is neutered, (as a kitten - is now a year old ) he has been to the vet and has no medical problems, the litterbox is meticulously clean - he started this several months ago and is literally destroying their apartment. She has bought the black light and bacterial cleansers and seeks out every single drop she can find - is doing a pretty good job but this is SPRAYING rather than puddles so it is even harder. I think she has read everything on the Internet about behavior, spraying, etc. and is ready to tear her hair out and I feel so bad for her!! I think she is going to call the vet in the morning and ask about amitriptyline. I know they cannot afford Prozac. (Ami is about .05 a day and Prozac is about $1 a day)
    Has anyone had success with Ami??? Sorry about cross posting but I am as frustrated as she is and just trying to help her - I live in another state and feel helpless
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 04-09-2004 at 10:06 PM.

We wish you luck , as Sam is about eight years old and is still spraying , but it doesnt smell as bad , or I dont notice it!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Originally posted by sirrahved
    As far as declawing, neither of my pets have had any ill effects. We had Pickles for quite a while WITH claws, but he was scratching us both so much that we decided it was time. (Not to mention my woven throws, and shower curtain) Both of them sharpen their "claws". They are strictly indoor cats.
    Debbie,

I feel this situation is probably a reaction to being declawed.

Maybe your DIL can contact a feline behaviourist, who might be able to help

PS. This is not a cue for a heated debate on declawing.

As promised Debbie I'll post suggestions to help Pickles.

These will be quotes from websites not my personal advice. Please check out all advice with a vet first.

---------------------------------

Quote from http://www.goodcatswearblack.com/about_declawing.htm

What can I do if my declawed cat is urinating outside the box?
    Assuming your cat has no other medical conditions that could be causing his problem (again, ANY cat who urinates outside the litter box should see a veterinarian, a medical issue should be ruled out because cat-pee is a sign of illness). Here are some additional tips that may help get a declawed cat back to using his litter box:

Make sure his feet are checked regularly by the veterinarian for loose bone or infection which could cause pain for him while using the litter box.
    Never hit, spank or squirt any cat, this will only make matters worse. Gently direct the cat to his litter box.

Put less litter in the litter box. Then slide the litter to one end so that half the box is bare.

Give the declawed cat some stress vitamins found at many health food stores.

Organic catnip twice a week may helps some declawed cats.

If you've tried all, try taking a peeing declawed cat on daily, supervised, outdoor walks. Going outside stops most behavior problems of cats. Outside is next to 'last' resort (death.)

Please note: these walks must be EVERY day and supervised. Going outside occasionally and without supervision could lead to more problems.

Many more tips and resources are listed in Cat Be Good to help get your declawed cat to use his box.

There is a product in this month's Cat Fancy Magazine called "No Spray".

Here is the link to their website.

I haven't tried it, but I suppose it can't hurt to try!!

http://www.bottledblessings.com/animals_cats.html

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Another quote from http://www.petsage.com/art_litter.htm

· Recognize that if your cat has had a bout of FUS, he may view the litter box as the cause of the pain. You may need to change the box, litter or location before he's "comfortable" again.

------
    *PIF Words*
    Try changing brand new litter tray, with new 'gentle on the paws' litter, try fine sand, in a new location to disasociate with the previous pain of using the tray.
    -------

Quote from http://www.hollys.org/declaw.html

So what can you do if your cat is already declawed and having litter box problems? Try using shredded newspaper for litter.

Standard advice that everyone knows visit this website
    http://www.catsinternational.org/art..._problems.html

The declawing is a moot point, can't be reversed and was done 8 months ago - the spraying began 6-8 weeks ago I just do not think the two are related but who knows the mind of a cat? My only spraying cat HAD his claws. Others have had accidents, but they were geriatric and dying.
    Devon is waiting to hear back from the vet and hopefully, he will have some suggestions for Pickles...maybe some behavioral thing she has not yet tried. Money is very tight though - her hubby is a seminarian with two jobs and Devon delivers newspapers from something like 3 in the morning until daybreak. I understand that frustration of feeling like the house is never clean. Been there, done that ARGHH! Poor Pickles! He must be miserable and can't say what is bothering him!

EDIT: Just see that PIF added several threads of advice on behavior and possible help as I was composing my post - THANKS! Will read through them.

This site has a link to a message board where people discuss their cats problems and hopefully find suggestions

http://pages.ivillage.com/catsboard/id4.html

Message board Link(Karen, I hope you don't find a link to a message board just as an advice link )
    http://boards2.ivillage.com/cgi-bin/boards/ptlitterbox

Originally posted by sirrahbed
    The declawing is a moot point, can't be reversed and was done 8 months ago - the spraying began 6-8 weeks ago I just do not think the two are related but who knows the mind of a cat?
    Yes, sounds typical. All declawed cats which have a bad reaction to declawing, take several months to show symptoms. (Of the cats which have a bad reaction 95 % wee the other 5% bite.)

As I PM'd you I only mentioned Pickle's declawing as it is directly related to Pickles current behaviour, not to play a guilt game.

Pickle is the important issue here and he is the one who needs help. *Strokes Pickles*

I am trying to find revelent links for people with declawed cats who have solved this problem. Hopefully a solution can be found for Pickles.
    Last edited by PayItForward; 04-10-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Another message board about littertray problems, again try posting for advice http://www.msnusers.com/PurrandMeow/...rproblems.msnw