Thread: Rat that bites?

Rat that bites?

Hi,
    I have an almost 2 year old rat named Ophiela. She is a long-evens rat I got her from a reserch lab after my hamster died. My mom won't let me take her out of the cage becuase she bites and my mom is afraid of losing her is there anyway to get her to stop biting?
    Thanks in advance,

Doggirl
    Dogs!!!

Using multiple exclamation points is a sure sign of insanity!!!

This would be a tough one as she probaby has a rason to bite, 2 years of dealing with lab. people, I'd bite too!!

First make sure you do not smell like any food, and be very patient. Just lay your hand in the cage, eventually & slowly start to move your hand, pet her, offer food treats etc...

This may take some time & I do not meen to put a damper on you but she is getting up there in age, especially for a lab rat. The *average* age for rats is about 2 years. But look on the good side she gets to spend the last of her life in a loving home!!!! HOORAY!!!
    maybe others will have more info for you! Good luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

dont just stop taking her out of the cage all together just because she bites.. how big is her cage? she might feel threatened when she sees your hand coming toward her.. her cage is her territory. put her in the bathtub and pet her. if she bites just let her. let her know that she cant hert you. let her know that you are her friend and you wont hert her even if she bites.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

You have to take her out of her cage as much as possible. She must be out for atleast an hour a day for her to be happy and she will soon learn not to be afraid of you. Offer her treats all the time too. Try crossing your legs and putting her between them and just keep her there and talk to her.

What type of diet is she on? Sometimes a bad diet can cause behavioural problems.
    I've been BOO'd!

Does she bite when you pick her up? Is it when she's petted in certain ways/places? Mine only bite when someone sticks fingers in through the bars, butmy dad's all wierd about them now because he KEEPS sticking his fingers in! >.<

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Grr
    My mom wouldn't let me put Ophelia in the bath becuase "its so hard to catch them" I am so mad I don't care if its hard to catch them I want to spend time with my rat!!!
    Dogs!!!

Using multiple exclamation points is a sure sign of insanity!!!