Thread: Getting A Labbie..

Getting A Labbie..

No, it' not officially arranged to get a Labbie quite yet, I wish...

I am really excited, and I want to share my excitement with someone, I figured Pet Talk would be an excellent place to do just that. My chances of getting a Labbie are growing everyday, at least I like to think of it that way, and it makes me so happy. My parents are currently in the process of looking for land to build a new house, we found 5 acres in a town called Polk, my dad is calling to view the land tomorrow. The house we are in right now is so tiny, there is practically no yard- not a good set-up at all for a Lab! When we move, the house will be larger and the yard will be HUGE, and the location will be ideal for a Lab. I will be getting a job shortly too, and most of my salary is going into savings for college and the rest is going into my Labbie Fund Jar I have all set-up.

My parents just don't get it when it comes to how addicted I am to Labradors, they are clueless and don't even get how I feel. My feelings when it comes to a Lab are indescribable, they are so powerful, it's the same with horses. I feel incomplete without a Lab, I feel naked, I feel alone. I need canine companionship, I need it REAL BAD! Sometimes, when I am home alone, I sit on my bed and I stare at all the yellow lab pictures I have on the wall and imagine what my life would be like if I shared it with a Lab. I get so in-depth with my thought, for a while it seems like I am actually living my daydream. I get very emotional a lot too, and start to cry when I look at Labrador stuff for too long, because I get to thinking about how I have no canine partner and I get frustrated that my parents don't understand and don't seem to care. I used to try to talk to them about the feelings I have when it comes to Labs/canine companionship, but I gave up a long time ago, it's like talking to a brick wall.

I have no clue where I get my deep passion for Labs (and horses) from! I mean my father had Basset Hounds when he was growing up, mom never had a dog in her life, and neither have I- yet I crave canine companionship.

I know I really should wait until I graduate high school, complete college, get a career, and get settled in a new house/apartment, but I can't wait that long- that's wayyyyyyyyyy to long. I've been waiting long enough, I am slowly dying inside without a canine companion, there is no way I can wait another 5-10 years-NO WAY!

I just really hope that when we get settled in our new house, whether it be one we built or bought, I really hope I can get my Labbie companion. From my point of view, my chances will be higher than they are now. Every once in a while I will ask my mom "when we get settled in a new house, could I get a Lab!?" Her response is usually "maybe, we'll see". My mom is the biggest sucker on the planet, it's ridiculous. When I first asked to get a pet rat, my mom thought I had screws loose, well I now have 7 rats... (S-U-C-K-E-R)!

In the past, when I used to talk to my parents about getting a Lab, they would always tell me they don't have enough time to play with it, and they will end up caring for it, feeding it, walking it, etc. I keep trying to tell them, they won't be caring for the dog, it would be ME. Me not care, walk, feed, or play with my Lab!?!?! ARE THEY REALLY THAT BLIND AND LOST ER WHAT!? I'd have to be crippled, blind, deaf, mute, and on my death bed before I would stop caring for my dog!! I will have a job too, to pay for the annual vet bills, food, toys, and other expenses- the only thing I might have trouble paying for would be a major surgery, but I know they'd help me pay that off (hopefully we won't have to worry about that, but of course you have to keep that in the back of your head).

I want a Lab so bad.

Thanks for reading, I really needed to talk about it, because it's starting to bug me, and I can't talk to my parents about it since they don't get it.

Don't you think I need a Labbie partner!? I hope it's not just me who thinks I need a canine companion!!!

Hopefully mom won't find this thread, ha ha, I really don't need her reading this because it will just make things worse- so mom, if you are reading this, don't reply-
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I completely know how you feel! (except my obsession is siberian huskies! )

I tried for years too with no luck. I hope moving into a new house will do the trick! I think you'd be an excellent mommy to a lab!!

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    I think you'd be an excellent mommy to a lab!!
    Well, I'll be poor that's for sure! Especially if the ratties are still around too. They will have the life of luxury while I am forced to wear the same outfit to school everyday because I have no money to spend on myself, I spent it all on them!!!

For a Labbie, I would wear the same outfit to school everyday no problem.... !!!!!!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Maybe you could get a part time job or something? That way you could show *responsibility* to your parents as well as have some $$ to spend on a dog.

I'm glad I have a job because Nebo is one expensive pooch! He insists on being spoiled rotten and making me worry about him all the time.

Ooooh, I hope you get your Labbie!
    I know how it was...BELIEVE ME! It took me a looooong time before we got a dog; and now we have two of the best doggies in the world! You just have to keep trying. Make sure to get good grades in school, don't talk back, (as hard as that is ) and I'm sure you'll get him/her. I remember the days when I didn't have any pets...how did I ever survive?

Good Luck!

Hee hee hee! I agree - you need a Labbie! Ummm, would I be really awful if I suggested lookin' on petfinder?

I am sure that, when the time comes, there will be a Labbie out there that needs you as much as you need it!

Start looking for colleges that allow dogs!

Yes, I am a bad influence.

I understand how deeply you crave a pup. I felt the same way before I got my first dog, Cody. I slept, dreamed, daydreamed and just could hardly take a breath without being filled with longing. I remember talking to my grandma about it (who isn't really a dog person) and her saying "you will just get tired of a dog after a couple months." I even remember hearing her tell my mom I'd 'grow out of it.'

Well, I didn't grow out of it.. to the contrary my love and adoration for dogs has only become more and more deeply embedded within my soul. I think that you will get your puppy, and your bond will be very special. I don't know about your mom being a sucker though, it sounds to me like she just wants you to be happy .

Well, my best wishes go out to you in getting your puppy. Keep working hard at it. I feel the same way you do too about being willing to wear old clothes or do without material things in order to have my dogs, and to do things for them
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I know how you feel! I'm lost in the suspense of waiting for my catahoula puppy. Two more years. I was going to get him/her next year, but decided it'd be more responsible if I wait until I'm done college and have my own place. It sounds as if whatever course you're taking is fairly long though? In that case I would not be able to wait lol.

Edit: Have you started buying things yet? Maybe if you buy a bunch of dog things (bowls, leash, collar etc) your parents will see that you're really serious. I have a huge bag of things already. Infact I just went out today and bought a puppy collar lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

I understand completely...and wish you all the luck in the world! If you need to borrow Moosey for a few days to get your parents hooked on Labbies, let me know and we'll drop by.

NO ONE deserves to have a labbie more than you.
    I think your mom knows this, but the space restrictions are probably what are keeping your parents from letting you get one!!!

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with your parents on getting a doggie!!!

I know how you feel--I left 2 dogs at home when I went to college at 17, and didn't get one of my own until I was 25--that's a long time!!!!!! But I was settled, and getting married, and knew it was the right time!! Any pooch I would have gotten before that would have moved around a lot, and not had a lot of stability. I'm glad I waited though--I now have 4 of the most incredible creatures in my life, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

I know you're ready--I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you and your future pup
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I can feel your enthusiasm!!!! And I don't blame you one bit for being hopeful!!! I love those Labbies, puppies or grownup. Just this past weekend, we went to my daughter's softball game and saw two precious labbie puppies (8 weeks old) with their new owners. They are brother and sister, Chocolate and Yellow. What precious babies!! You would have been in heaven!!!! I can say from experience that Labs are great pets! I have experienced them from the youngest to the oldest (Chuck was my "puppy" in my first marriage and lived to be 15 years old). Murphy is my 14 year old Yellow Lab girl and as much of a pain as she is (she has the loudest bark you have ever heard, and lets it go often), she is so sweet and loving. Just wants to eat and love you.

Best of luck.

Logan

Aw, look at this face! If this isn't enough to convince your parents, I don't know what is.

And, you can show them this face, too. Just to add a little more punch.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

My parents just don't get it when it comes to how addicted I am to Labradors, they are clueless and don't even get how I feel. My feelings when it comes to a Lab are indescribable, they are so powerful, it's the same with horses. I feel incomplete without a Lab, I feel naked, I feel alone
    Are you sure we weren't separated at birth? I understand your passion perfectly, for Labs and for cannine companionship! I think you'll make a wonderful Labbie mom and the new home sounds ideal for an active Lab! Now we need to work on Mom! I'll be back to add my pictorial inticement to the effort!

And here's another

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

WoW! I know exactly how you feel! I have wanted a dog for years, and I mean YEARS. But it was just this year when I started to feel like I *need* a dog. I am already saving my money, and thinking about how much less I will have for myself. If I have any extra money, I know it'd be going to the dog. (And I wouldnt' mind one bit!!!) I am starting to work alot harder around the home and try and work harder in school. I feel this will make me a better person, but the main idea it to GET MY DOG!. I really feel like I need a dog, but nobody really understands how much. I could care less what kind, though I would love a golden retriever. I know I'd never be able to get one until I move out though, because they are too big. But I still want a dog, maybe border collie or shetland, or ANYTHING. Today on the bus I was just thinking of playing with it in my yard and all. I am trying to work really hard though, and prove to my mom that I want a dog. I don't think she'll ever know I need one (or, needed would be a better word) I know exactly how you feel though. I have never ever had one single pet in my life. Not even a hamster or fish or anything but all I've ever wanted is a dog.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...