Thread: advice on training for a new puppy

advice on training for a new puppy

I have 2 dogs...a 3 yr old male Lhasa Apso and a 5 month old female Mini American Eskimo. I think I need all the help I can get! The first problem I have come across is the "puppy" likes to dig up my backyard. I don't know what to do to prevent this other then to tell her "no". My Lhasa is the "agressive" one and tries to push her around a lot. He has gone after some people if not watched closely. I got him when he was 8 months (he came from an abusive home). I was given the Eskie due to a friend's circumstances on not being able to keep her. I guess my question is: how do I make both dogs happy? My Lhasa tries to bite the other when I'm giving 1 attention and not the other. I love both my dogs and want to give them the BEST life possible but, the "puppy" stage is so hard. I feel frustrated and exhausted. Am I training right? Am I giving both the attention they deserve? I just need someone to talk to! I will not give up on either of them....I just need a place to go or someone that knows what to do. I'm new to this site and was just wondering if anyone has advice for me? Thanks!
    Tina

Hi! Welcome to pet talk! I hope you enjoy it here. ^_^

Have you ever taken your Lhasa to obedience classes? They might help with him - but make sure you find a class that uses positive reinforcement (like clicker training), because if he can be agressive you don't want to use any harsh training methods.

As for your Eskie, you're not alone - it's a natural doggie trait! But I can understand that you wouldn't want big holes in your yard.

Do you keep her outside alone when she digs, or is she with you? She may be digging out of boredom. Do some activities with your pup, like play fetch, or take a long walk. That will tire her out, and she won't dig out of boredom. Also don't leave her outside alone.

Is she digging along a fence? In that case, she's trying to escape. This is probably out of boredom too - so exercise her, but also you should reinforce the fence with cement or something so she can't dig under it - because you don't want your pup to escape from the yard.

And if after all that she still digs, then you should give her a place of her own to dig, like a sandbox or a special patch of dirt. Show her that it's okay to dig there, by burying biscuits and letting her dig them up, and praising her for digging there. And put a little fence around gardens - since dogs love to dig in soft soil. Make sure she knows not to cross the fence.

Good luck!!! I hope that helps!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

A good & reputable obedience class should be very usefull to you & both of your dogs. it will help with basic commands, socialization, bonding, fun & excesize! Please look into it!

Are they both spayed/neutered? If not I would get it done asap as it could help, & the sooner the better the chances of it helping.

wolfie gave great advice!

Also to help make both dogs happy, pay attention to who is the leader (you should always be the pack leader) but for ex. I think from your response that the Lhasa is the leader so pet him first, feed him first, give him his treat first etc. etc.
    But to help them get along better take them for a walk at the same time (but attatch the leash to the Lhasa first).

Ignore bad behavior & PRAISE ALL good behavior!!! When you are petting one & the other is dealing with it well (even for a second) praise, as soon as one gets jealous ignore that one, don't even look or talk to that dog, as soon as that one calms down praise him/her.

good luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Thank you for both of your responses but, I am still unsure of what to do. I worry about taking them to obedience too, in fear of someone getting bitten. I am VERY paranoid. In fact, when people come over to visit, I usually take the dogs to my parents house or when I'm at home, my husband and I gate off the upstairs kitchen and only allow people to go downstairs. When people do come over and the dogs are home they bark non-stop at them and my Lhasa growls and tries to bite people. He has bitten and drawn blood before and I fear something happening and having him be put to sleep if this ever happens again. I LOVE my dogs and consider them my life but, I just don't know what to do about their behaviors sometimes. My Lhasa is neutered and my Eskie will be spayed next month. I do need help with training them but, I am so afraid of the outcome. Are there any other methods I could try myself? I purchased a clicker a couple years ago but, it didn't seem to help with my Lhasa. He just does what he wants and I worry that I may never be able to "fix" his problems of when he was abused. As far as my Eskie goes.....I just want them to get along and have a happy life here! My problems with her are the digging, going potty in the house, destroying items, etc. typical puppy behaviors I suppose. I guess I just feel alone sometimes and wonder if anyone else has had similiar issues with their animals.

Your Lhasa seems to think that he's in charge of the house! Training him will really help. Call some local obedience schools and tell them the problem with your Lhasa. Many trainers are experienced with these problems, and would be willing to help. Maybe they even have private lessons if you're afraid of him around other dogs.

As for your Eskie, she's just a typical puppy! It's very important to start training her now though, so she'll be well behaved when she's older. You could take her to a beginner obedience course or puppy kindergarden, or train her yourself. If you go to training school with your Lhasa then you could just train your Eskie at home using what the trainer taught you.

Do you have a crate for her? It might be a good idea for her while she's in the 'destructive' stage of her puppyhood. Make sure she is exercised before you crate her though. Exercise is very important for a well behaved dog.

You NEED to take the Lhasa to obedience classes. Call the instructor, explain ahead of time, ask about a muzzle so that he cannot bite anyone. This dog desperately needs socialization and guidance. Both of these will be helped by being in obedience classes. You will all be better off.

I will take this advice and start looking into classes as soon as possible!!!! I AM SO GLAD THAT I HAVE FOUND THIS SITE AND PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO HELP ME!!!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR QUICK RESPONSES.

Your welcome. Good luck!