Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's official...

It's official...

I'm the worst cook ever.

So I attempted to complete the simple task of baking oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. And yes...I failed miserably. I don't think I've ever made a bigger mess of the kitchen. Plus, I managed to spill flour all over the counter and floor...and everything in between, including Zoey...Moose's whole back-end. Ay yi yi...I just spent the last 2 hours giving the dogs bathes...and the 2 hours before that baking those stupid cookies. And they weren't even good...I managed to burn the first two pans and was too sick from eating the dough and burnt cookies to enjoy the "successful" cookies I managed to make...without burning them.

It's times like these I find myself acting eerily similar to Jessica Simpson...an awful cook with not an ounce of common sense when it comes to anything "housewife" related...and Josh has reminded me of that plenty of times.

I know, a pointless rant...but I need to vent to someone other than Josh. lol.

Awwww Brooke!

Here's my biggest secret about myself: I can't COOK and my BROTHER CAN COOK!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Originally posted by CountryWolf07
    Awwww Brooke!

Here's my biggest secret about myself: I can't COOK and my BROTHER CAN COOK!
    lol...well don't feel bad, because as I said...I can't either. Hm...my brother can cook too. What is that all about?? Ha...even Josh is a better cook than me...which is a good thing, because otherwise we would be eating out every night...or throwing something frozen into the microwave.

Hey, we can just rely on guys to cook for us!!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

This is why I flat-out refuse to cook! I mke my husband and kids do all of the cooking. When they whine about it, I remind them how awful my last attempt at burning... I mean cooking turned out.

Lucky for me, I've developd a fondness for burnt food over the years, so I don't mind when something turns out a little too well done, but everyone else wants to kill me! So I just don't cook

Moose,
    I can't remember your age (heck, I can't even remember my own), but, cooking doesn't necessarily come natural to us. Practice, simple recipes that you get down pat, and following the directions will usually help.

I once made breakfast for my friend, we were having pancakes..do you hear me, pancakes. Well, it looked and felt and tasted like chicken breast. Don't ask me how. We took pictures it was so funny. We ate them, as maple syrup covers the taste of most anything. But, it was funny. Another time, I made this lovely pumpkin pie...lovely to look at, horrid to eat, unless you like pumpkin soup in a crust.

So, stick with it. Try those cookies again. The type of pan you use, and the accuracy of your oven WILL make a difference. Make them again! And, send me some, as I love them.

Originally posted by Cataholic
    Moose,
    I can't remember your age (heck, I can't even remember my own), but, cooking doesn't necessarily come natural to us. Practice, simple recipes that you get down pat, and following the directions will usually help.

I once made breakfast for my friend, we were having pancakes..do you hear me, pancakes. Well, it looked and felt and tasted like chicken breast. Don't ask me how. We took pictures it was so funny. We ate them, as maple syrup covers the taste of most anything. But, it was funny. Another time, I made this lovely pumpkin pie...lovely to look at, horrid to eat, unless you like pumpkin soup in a crust.

So, stick with it. Try those cookies again. The type of pan you use, and the accuracy of your oven WILL make a difference. Make them again! And, send me some, as I love them.
    Well, I'm 21...so I'm not feeling too pressured to be skilled in the "culinary area."

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone though!

I'm also 21 and sadly my husband is too a better cook than I. I can cook a few things well, but not many. Justin is a computer programmer and enjoys cooking to relieve stress from work. When he comes home from work the last thing he wants to do is look at a screen, computer or tv, so he often cooks. I do like to cook and hope to improve with time.

I used to be a really horrible cook, but I LOVE cooking, so I've kept at it and my cooking has improved....except for breakfast food! I can't make a batch of edible pancakes to save my life!!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by WolfChan
    I used to be a really horrible cook, but I LOVE cooking, so I've kept at it and my cooking has improved....except for breakfast food! I can't make a batch of edible pancakes to save my life!!
    Funny, since I refuse to cook, my kids have become really good at it. My son can whip up the best pancakes in town... better than any restaurant! Hey, get lucky like me and marry someone who likes to cook and then you can sit and be served all the time

Brooke, practice...alot! I used to practice while my husband was at work, when we first married. I could make the best creamed potatoes and roasts. BUT I had never made homemade biscuits. So while hubby was at work, I would practice. Of course I threw out a lot of those 'practice biscuits', had to be careful when throwing them out, because we had chickens running lose out in our yard, I swear if I had hit one of those poor chickens, it would have killed it. It would have been like throwing a rather large STONE at them.

Johanna, I made a Pumpkin pie one time, forgot to put the sugar in. It tasted very salty! Now everybody teases me and ask if I put the sugar in, I always say yeah I put the sugar in, but I think I used Cayenne pepper instead of the Cinnamon. LOL, I will have to really do that sometime..then turn the water off and watch the fun.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Find a simple recipe, and practice. Honest. Anyone who can read can bake. It just takes practice. Find a simple peanut butter cookie recipe - those the dogs can eat if they aren't human-tasty!

Karen, when I made the biscuits, my dogs even turned their nose up at them!

But practice does help, I can make a really good biscuit now!!

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Originally posted by trayi52
    Of course I threw out a lot of those 'practice biscuits', had to be careful when throwing them out, because we had chickens running lose out in our yard, I swear if I had hit one of those poor chickens, it would have killed it. It would have been like throwing a rather large STONE at them.

OMG you almost killed me! Here I am enjoying my 20 minute internet time (I am cutting back time spent online) and I read this while eating my stirfry and I almost choked. That has got to be the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. I just cannot stop laughing. That is halarious!

Thankfully I can cook. Obvioulsy if I just made stirfry. But like others here, I cannot for the life of me make a frickin pancake. I don't know what it is, but I just can't do it. Either it gets burnt, or it's just wet and slimey and totally sickening LOL.

Now if you asked me to make rack of lamb, grilled salmon or lasagna I can do that. My dad was a chef and taught me well.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by trayi52
    Karen, when I made the biscuits, my dogs even turned their nose up at them!

But practice does help, I can make a really good biscuit now!!
    Yeah, but I bet those not-even-dog-edible ones were great for street hockey ...

Brooke, honey, when you are ready to try again, let me know. I'll email you an easy recipe with step by step instructions.

In my family, we all start our baking careers at the age of four, stirring the dough to make gingerbread men at Christmastime. It's pretty darned bullet-proof dough, no eggs or anything tricky about it, and Ma would put all the ingrediants in a very big, deep bowl, and hand over a wooden spoon. I remember standing on a chair stirring with both hands on the spoon handle, with my big sister helping me. Repeat the same scene 5 years later, and it was me helping my little brother!