Thread: labrador retriever puppy

labrador retriever puppy

Hi, all! I just got a new puppy yesterday evening, and, last night was his first night in the crate. He fell asleep with me on the floor, so, when I went to bed, I just put him in his crate, and, he didn't budge. He didn't wake up and start crying until about 5:00. I got up and took him out and he cried for three hours straight when I put him back to bed. I knew he would cry for a little bit, but, I honestly wasn't expecting that! I haven't had a puppy in the home for a very long time! I will keep everyone posted on his progress, but, I just wanted to ask how long it takes them usually to get used to being alone. I think being alone is more what makes him cry than being crated. He's seven weeks old and I think this is the first time he's not been surrounded by siblings. He's very smart, though, I think he'll be easy to train. He didn't have an accident at all overnight, and one thing I've noticed is that when he comes up to you on leash, he automatically sits. So, I've already been saying "sit" and praising him. Can't start too young, I guess. He's going in to see my vet today, and, hopefully will receive a clean bill of health. But, any advice on puppies will be greatly appreciated! I am all ears!

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Congrats on your new pup, sounds like a doll!

it is pretty normal for them to cry at bit at first & your right they ussually cry because they are lonely, if you can leave a radio on low or a ticking clock that may help, also keep him near you too so he can see you. & NEVER ever let him out or pay attention to him while he is crying, even if he is quiet for only a couple seconds than that is enough time to let him out. Otherwise he will think that his whinning is what is traing you to let him out.
    he should start to quiet down a bit in a few days to a week & should stop alltogether in a couple weeks.

Did you get him from a breeder? if so talk to them about what schedule he was on & try to accomidate that into your schedule, then slowly change the times he is fed, sleeping, pottying etc... to your times. that may help too.

also if you tire him out by playing & excersizing before he is crated that will help too.

cant wait for pics (hint hint) lol
    good luck!

also in a few weeks when he finishes his series of vaccines i would enroll him into a puppy socialization/obedience class1 it will help both of yous out a lot!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

He is a very sweet little man. I was walking him earlier around the apartments and he ran up to a guy that was very obviously going to work, but, he wanted to pet him anyway. He loves people, which I'm grateful for. And, he chases my cat around, who's only seven months old. I'm hoping they become pals. At least, from the looks of it, Lock (our bengal) will tolerate him. He's not scratched at or bit at him, though, just hissed and ran. I think probably the hardest thing for me to train the puppy will be to stay off the furniture because the cat goes up there. But, I'm adamant about that, so, I'll do whatever it takes. I thought it might be better to leave a tv or something on for him, but, I didn't last night because I wasn't sure. BUt, I'll try it tonight. We kept him in a separate room from us, though, because we had to be able to sleep, but, I will try tonight leaving him crated by our bed. We'll see if that helps any. And, yeah, I definitely remember not to give them any attention when they're crying like that. As soon as I would go into the room where he was crated, though, he'd stop. So, I'd open up the door and leash him to take him out. But, I'll definitely try the tv tonight for him. And, either put him in our room also, or try that separately tomorrow night. We'll try both, though. And, we wore him out last night. He fell asleep on my arm and I just moved him to his crate. It's strange having a dog again. I'd forgotten how they always want to be by your side. Not that that is a problem, but, it's just different. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll post a picture in just a minute. I have to pick one!

Thanks, Dogz!

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Alright, here's our new puppy. I think we are going to call him Finn, but, we haven't 100% decided yet. Here's a color photo of him snoozing yesterday, which he's doing right now! So, here's introducing the newest member of the Archer/Winter household.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks, Dogz!

And, here's a black and white photograph of the new pup. I am also posting a couple of photos on the "dog breed" section. Hope you like....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks, Dogz!

Awwwww. He's so cute. Head over to Dog General and introduce him there, too. More people will get to see him over there!

Thanks! I posted a couple more there, too.

Thanks, Dogz!

He is too adorable!!!!!!!

I think everything you mentioned sounds pretty normal.

I only got one of my dogs as a pup, and it was my lab (or whatever he is ), and he hated to be alone in the crate. He still hates to be left alone, no matter where it is. I think it's in their nature, since they love people so much!!

You've got a real cutie there!!

None of my dogs are allowed on the furniture, and 3 of them had been allowed in previous homes. It didn't take too long though--just a lesson in the word "off", and being consistent with it worked for us. Although, what Kito does when we're not home we have no clue

Good luck with the pup!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Hey, thanks! He seems to be responding pretty well to "off" as far as the furniture, so, hopefully, it will sink in and stay in his lab mind. Our cat isn't allowed into our bedroom because my boyfriend is allergic. But, I think once Finn is trustworthy, he'll be sleeping in there with us. Not in the bed, but, in the room. I'm actually going to try putting his crate in our room with us tonight and leaving the TV on. I think we're going to invest in ear plugs, though. I just feel bad for the neighbors!

Thanks, Dogz!

Cute puppy!!

To stop Finn from crying during the night, try putting an old fashioned alarm clock ( the type that tick loud) under his bed blanket.

I was told by an old lady that the tick tock represents a heart beat and leaves the puppy with the feeling that they are not on their own.

I used that method with Amber and it worked a treat.

The only tips I can offer are; lots of praise when Finn has done what you want him to do and ignore the things he has done wrong, as hard as that may be!

I've not been disciplining him when I see him doing something wrong, just praise him when he's done good. I've heard about the tick tock of an alarm clock, but, I can't remember where my old one is. And, he seems to already be showing improvement.

Thanks, Dogz!

dragondawg

Two possible stories I could relate.

I had a Daisy puppy (1/2 Golden, 1/2 Yellow Lab), who started crying the second night I had her in the basement. This was before crates were in vogue 12 years ago. It turned out a little puppy chow in a bowl of carnation milk did the trick. She was hungry. A Lab's stomach rules its world!

Fast forward ...

Recently got a Black Lab or Barney puppy. He was 6 weeks at the time. He was ok the first few nights in the crate, as long as he knew I was in the same room. As soon as I walked out to go downstairs for a moment he would start crying. When I came back upstairs to finally go to bed, he would stop. He got over this phase in about a month. Now at 5 months we are approaching the first week where I encourage him to go into the crate, but leave the door open at night. He doesn't stay in for long, and seems to be doing well at night with his new found freedom. Overall your puppy should adjust to the crate within a week.

Finn seems to already be calming down in the crate. Keeping him in our room was not a great idea, as it drove him batty to think we were right there and still ignoring him. Poor little guy. BUt, I've been adamant. I will not even look at or speak to him if he's crying. He's such a smart dog, too. When I or my boyfriend go into the spare room to take him out during the night or early morning, he immediately stops crying because he knows I won't take him out of the kennel until he does. But, he only now cries when we first put him in there to go to bed, and, after we take him out and put him back in after he's relieved himself outside. He gets a treat every time he goes in and comes out of the crate and he goes in there on his own to chew on his toy or nap. Things are going well, though. He starts his "puppy head start" training at petsmart on the 4th. We're excited!

Thanks, Dogz!

I know that this will probably not help you now, but if someone else is reading your post for advice. It also helps them to not cry if you put a hot water bottle in there bed. We did that when silla was a puppy.