View Poll Results: Do you think it is safe to breed a mini dachshund?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think she will be okay

0 0%
  • I don't think it is very safe

8 100.00%
  • I think that it might not be safe but it will be worth a couple new puppies

0 0%

Thread: Need Male dachshund

Need Male dachshund

We are going to breed my mini dachshund, Lexi, and we need to find another mini dachshund male. Can any of you help me out?

Ok, what is the reason you want to breed? Are you prepared to take your female in to the vet for checkups all through her pregnancy? Dachshunds are my love! Especially minis and in my eyes, if you don't show your dogs and have chapmions then DO NOT breed! There are way too many mini dachshunds in shelthers and other rescue groups for someone to be breeding more, especially when you ask a question like you did. I am not trying to be mean, rude, or anything else but I just do not think you should breed. What if she has to have an emergency c-section? Are you prepared for all the costs of breeding her? The puppies will need to be taken to the vet after born, the mother many times before the puppies are even born, the mother also after they are born, vaccines for the puppies, worming the puppies, and much more!! Are you prepared to do this, b/c this is what a true, good dog breeder does. The sire, or father, will also need to have health testing done before breeding and lots more as well. Ok, well, I am going to stop now but you really need to think about this more. I apoligize if you do show your dog and have already had her health tested for any genetic type defects that could be there you don't know about. I just love dachshunds and I don't like to hear of irresponsible breeding of any dog. So please don't take any of this the wrong way, I am just trying to help.
    Last edited by dappledoxie; 02-29-2004 at 10:42 AM.
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

I think that it might not be safe but it will be worth a couple new puppies
    Please listen to Dappledoxie!

Ay.

DON'T BREED.

I am very concerned with your wanting to breed your doxie. In your first post to this sitehere, you asked for help with an aggressive doxie. If this is the same dog, breeding would be totally irresponsible. If you breed an aggressive dog, you have an extremely good chance of passing aggressive genes onto another generation. No responsible breeder would do that. Breeding should only be done by knowledgeable people who have the financial and emotional means to breed dogs with excellent temperments and health and even then I am not a proponent of it.

If you volunteer at a shelter as I do, you would see all the wonderful dogs that get put down due to lack of space and homes. It disheartens me to see more dogs being brought into a world where there are not enough homes for the dogs already on the planet.

Is your dog pedigreed so you know it's genetic history? Does it have it's health certificates? I don't know what kind of problems a doxie might have, but health certificates as in OFA, CERF BAER, whatever. What competitive sports does she participate in?

By breeding properly, you will be spending ATLEAST $5000 for only ONE female. The cost of the pups will not cover that amount. That is why reputable breeders rarely make a profit.

By breeding her, you greatly increase her risk of cancer and uterine infection (pyometra (sp?) ). By letting her go through her first heat you also keep her at risk for cancer. There's no way to know that she may not need a Cesarean section. The health risks are great. Reputable breeders breed dogs that have no known family history of cancer. Have you gone back several generaions to make sure that there is no cancer in those lines?

Personally, I wouldn't breed. There are way too many dogs in shelters, and there are already reputable breeders.
    I've been BOO'd!

I am closing this thread, as Pupgirl is too young to legally belong to Pet Talk, so will not be allowed to respond.

Why is ti not safe to breed a mini dach?
    Layka

Originally posted by Layka3000
    Why is ti not safe to breed a mini dach?
    It's never safe to breed any animals unless you know what you're doing. There are many complications that can occur during breeding, pregnancy and/or labor. Also, you have to understand the position of most of the people on this message board. Most will disagree with anyone wanting to breed pets just for the heck of it, or for any reason other than a legitimate breeder who does it only to better the breed. It's more a matter of principle than safety, per se. It's not breed-specific, either, dachshunds just happened to be the breed being discussed in this particular thread.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Please do not breed... there are too many dogs and other animals in shelters...

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

oh i see... plus the pet population is way high!
    Layka

Yeah! Pet population is super high, I agree. Mini doxies can be bred but like others have said it can be unsafe for any dog, you must be prepared to deal with unexpected expenses and pre/post pregnacy treatment/care.
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

I heard that some breeders in-breed dogs! That is wrong!
    Layka