Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie-goer dies of apparent heart attack watching ''Passion'' film

Movie-goer dies of apparent heart attack watching ''Passion'' film

How very sad.

http://www.mb.com.ph/MAIN200402263336.html

Movie-goer dies of apparent heart attack watching ''Passion'' film (Feb 26 - 8:14 am)

Wichita, Kansas (dpa) - A 57-year-old woman died Wednesday after collapsing at a movie theatre during a screening of Mel Gibson's ''The Passion of the Christ,'' a graphic movie about the last 12 hours of the life of Christ.

Peggy Scott was attending a morning showing of the movie in the Midwestern city of Wichita, Kansas, when she collapsed about 20 minutes before the movie was to end, the Wichita Eagle reported.

The movie was stopped and two physicians who also were watching the movie tried to revive Scott, Ken Crockett, general manager of the theatre, told the newspaper. She was taken to a hospital by ambulance where she was pronounced dead. An autopsy has been ordered to determine the exact cause of death.

Doctors declined to say whether the apparent heart attack was caused by her emotional reaction to the film or whether other factors were involved. Kansas television station KAKE said Scott collapsed at the film's emotional high point.

Critics are calling Gibson's film, filled with the graphic torture and death of Christ, extremely violent and gory. The movie is expected to become the biggest box-office Bible film ever.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Geez, how awful!!

Have any of you seen the movie yet? I'm interested in going to see it.

Haven't seen it and I'm not interested in seeing it but will go with Andy if he wants me too.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

How sad. I hope to see it this weekend.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Scott is going tonight, by himself, as he is out of town and he told me that he will go again, with me, next week. We have all 3 kids this weekend so we can't see it together over the weekend. I have heard nothing but positive comments from those who have already seen it.

I hate it about that lady dying like that. I heard it on the radio this morning.

My husband and I are not even remotely interested in seeing this movie.

I went to see this movie this afternoon. It is very graphic and very violent but what else could a cruxificion be? Sometimes we gloss over what Christ endured for us but it would be a little hard to not know what he endured after seeing that movie. I personally am glad I saw it.

I am very sorry that the woman died while watching it.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

It just makes me wonder how many other people have heart attacks at the movies every year that we never hear about. Sad for the woman and her family.

Originally posted by Karen
    It just makes me wonder how many other people have heart attacks at the movies every year that we never hear about. Sad for the woman and her family.
    Good point Karen and I agree 100%. As for the violence, well how could one portray a crucifixion and the beating that went on before without showing any violence? It was a horrible way to die and there is nothing that one could do in portraying such a thing to "tone it down" and yet still do justice to what actually happened. I am amazed that with all of the meaningless violence that Hollywood spews out constantly that this would even be an issue. I do plan to see if after the crowds dissipate a bit.

what a drag....

----------------------------------
    I think that because there is a religious 'message' in the movie, it strikes closer to the heart.

You could have Rambo nailing a drug lord to a 2x4, or JC Van Damme flogging a murderer or Bruce Willis threading a crown of thorns onto the head of a terrorist...No one would flinch at that ..

What was the movie with the Saturday Night Dancing guy in it- a few years ago???

Or the "Natural Born Killers" flick??

I guess senseless violence is the norm....and aside from the Easter Crucifixions in the Phillipines (those are done for a reason x1000) Beating the stuffing outta people is O.k.,
    just don't attach a religion to it.

That's what make me scratch my head...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Another things that make me squirm....

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/

the 'Jesus Nail' necklaces that are being sold...

A) I had to take my JN necklace off at the airport.....I want religious freedom..

B) My JNN was ripped from my neck and I was stabbed with it.

C) People made fun of my JNN.

D) I stabbed myself with my JNN....

Choose the lawsuit.
    -----------------------------------------------

My heart hurts when I see the prices at the snack bar.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

How very sad. I wanted to see the movie, but if its graphic, I don't think I want to. Graphic movies scare me.

Originally posted by RICHARD
    I think that because there is a religious 'message' in the movie, it strikes closer to the heart.

You could have Rambo nailing a drug lord to a 2x4, or JC Van Damme flogging a murderer or Bruce Willis threading a crown of thorns onto the head of a terrorist...No one would flinch at that ..

What was the movie with the Saturday Night Dancing guy in it- a few years ago???

Or the "Natural Born Killers" flick??

I guess senseless violence is the norm....and aside from the Easter Crucifixions in the Phillipines (those are done for a reason x1000) Beating the stuffing outta people is O.k.,
    just don't attach a religion to it.
    I agree. I haven't seen it yet. I intend to. I have heard from many people that, yes, it is violent and disturbing and graphic. Ummmmm .... what else would you expect? Several people also told me that they have certainly seen movies that were MORE graphic, violent and disturbing ... but no one made a fuss over the violence in them.

If it's half as good as Jesus Christ Superstar, I'm there!

About the woman who had a heart attack ... very sad indeed. She could have probably had that heart attack at Walmart or in her own living room, too.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

That's really terrible. Poor lady.

It's probably really graphic because it's true. I think any movie that's true strikes closer to the heart, personally, cuz It really happened. Just like the movie "Saving Private Ryan." It's really graphic and gory because that's what really happened, and it made me stop and think that WWII was so terrible and all these guys fought for us and I took it for granted before. I can't even believe what kind of trauma these poor soldiers have to go through. Probably is same for true for "Passion."

Plus another EXTREMELY SAD movie, probably the saddest is "THE GREEN MILE." Man, that was brutal.

Several people also told me that they have certainly seen movies that were MORE graphic, violent and disturbing ... but no one made a fuss over the violence in them.
    That's the one thing I don't understand. I don't like violent movies per se. I avoid them as a matter of fact. I did not go to this movie to see if it was as violent as it has been said to be. I went because as a Christian I felt a need to see and understand what God and his Son have done for us. I really don't want to turn this into a "God" issue but that is the reason I went. All the violent movies that are out there and have been out there are not as publicized as this one has been. I guess I don't understand why there is so much talk about the violence in this movie when we know that if it is going to be anywhere near authentic it would have to be violent and graphic. Sourging and cruxificion is violent. So much of the violence in movies today is pointless and yet countless number of people go to see these movies and see nothing wrong with those story lines and in fact enjoy these kind of movies. Doesn't really make much sense that there are objections to the violence in this movie.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

That's awful.

I really can't wait to see that movie, though. I was skeptical at first, but the more I hear about it and the more my friends gush over it, the more I want to see it. Josh and I are going this weekend, and I'm so excited.