Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously stinky feces

Seriously stinky feces

My cat Meko has some very very very stinky feces. She has been on felidea for about 2.5 months (was nutro natural kitten for the month & a half before that) I do feed her a couple teaspoonfulls of canned in the evening but it has always been the same brand & flavor. She is almost 5 months old. Her feces have always stunk but for some reason all of a sudden during the past 1.5 to 2 weeks they started reaking something awful. I have never in my life smelled such stink from a cat feces (worked at a vets for years, volunteer at local shelters even longer). I have her litter box in one of my spare bedrooms but you can smell it over the entire house for a good half hour after she goes. & it is so bad I have to have my shirt over my nose to breathe. I have a tough stomach & can handle lots but this is terrible! I have a covered cat box w/ a filter & I have one of those true air filters for pet odors plugged in right next to the cage & i just added a plug in scented thing to that room. I know poo smells but this is way worse than anything i have ever encountered. Her feces look ok & no other symptoms of anything. Anyone have any ideas?

My brother has her brother & he also has stinky poops but not quite as bad as mine does, they just feed some cheap food. not sure if there is a connection or not but just thought i would add it.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I've found that giving canned food does have a tendency to make cat's poops smell. But I would take a sample to the vet and have them look at it. It COULD be some kind of intestinal parasite. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks but she has had 2 fecal tests in the past 3.5 months we found nothing but gave her some de-wormers just in case. Because i rescued her from an owner who took her mother to the shelter when she was only 3 weeks old, she & her mother & father were always outdoor cats, just barn cats to them except they didnt have a barn. We were surprised that with her being an outdoor cat in the country & living in filth (junk al over the property) that she did not have any internal parasites so we de-wormed her anyways. She is now 100% indoor kitty & loving it.

i do understand that canned food can cause stinky poops but she is feed the same kind everytime all the time & this is all of a sudden stink. I cant even begin to explain how bad it smells.

Maybe ill try to ween her off the canned food in the evenings see if that helps, but she begs for it so badly. any suggestions on how to distract her from her evening canned meal? Should i stop cold turkey or just gradually add less & less canned & more & more dry. (i already mix her dry w/ the canned in the evening)

I was told by a few people on this board that cats teeth are different from dogs in the sense that dry only food will not have any difference in tarter control on the teeth than canned foods would. Now she rarely drinks out of the bowl, she begs for water out of the faucets, but i work a lot so I cant let the water drip while im gone for 11-12 hours each day. That is the main reason i continued to feed her canned to give her more liqiuds. I know if she does not have enough water that increases the chances of uti's & similar problems. Is she old enough for a GOOD uti diet to be on the safe side? Should i feed it to her? Do they even make a really good brand of uti food?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I have no recommendations for the food issue, but I can recommend a water fountain. I got one for my guys as a Christmas present and they just LOVE it. There is a little pump in the machine and it constantly circulates the water (including a little "drip"). This might help with her water intake... I ordered my online at www.petguys.com but I have also seen them in PetSmart. They run about $30, but they are worth it.

When Tanner (my youngest) was a kitten it had very "fragrant" poo's but it did get much better as he got older.

Good luck

My girl Allsters (and I have her brother, too) had the STINKIEST poop, and gas of ANYONE I have ever, ever known. It would make me blush, it was so awful. Dakky, her brother, did not suffer the same fate. This lasted till Allsters was maybe 10 months/1 year? I can't recall, exactly, and she is four this August, so it has been awhile. AND, she has always been on 'premium' food.

I think maybe sometimes kitties, and doggies, are just stinky until thier system works it all out???

thanks for the replies, i have seen the fountain things ill have to give one a try. Are they easy to fill? Are they light? I injured my wrist & broke my hand & i live alone so i am quite limited as to what i can do & carry.
    Also due to my hand being broke I have to wait until my house keeper comes by every other to every third day to clean the litter boxes out. So they are quite stinky by then. I cant use the scoopable litter cause my ferrets share the litter boxes & you can not use clumpable litter w/ them. so i am kinda stuck in a no win lots of smell situation lol.
    Ill keep her on this food & see if it goes away when she is a little older. I hope it does!!!!!

Actually kittens are more "stinky" than older cats. When I took Tanner into be fixed I asked the vet because I wasn't sure he was supposed to be that smelly. The vet said that it was normal and would get better as he got older. So just hold your breathe for a couple of months

The fountain machines are not heavy when there is no water in them. What I would suggest is that you assemble it then put it where you want it. Then I would just fill it up with glasses of water. Good luck (and I am sorry that you injured yourself, it makes like alot harder).

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Rotten guts

Have you had the kitten's stools checked for coccidea & giardea? Coccidea can make your stomach retch from the odor, and isn't always detected in a fecal float test. Maybe the vet will prescribe some albon, or flagyl anyway. I've rescued many stinky butts in my days! Good luck and stock up on clothespins!

Re: Rotten guts

Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
    Have you had the kitten's stools checked for coccidea & giardea? Coccidea can make your stomach retch from the odor, and isn't always detected in a fecal float test. Maybe the vet will prescribe some albon, or flagyl anyway. I've rescued many stinky butts in my days! Good luck and stock up on clothespins!

yeah we did that a couple months ago, a couple times they all turned out negative but she was put on albon, flagyl & panacur just to be on the safe side cause she was an itty bitty really dirty outdoor kitty when i rescued her.

UPDATE: i started to feed her only 1/2 a teaspoon of canned food with her dry food & some water added & the smell is starting to go down. Maybe all of a sudden her system started to change & reject the canned food ive been feeding her or maybe i was a fluke, whatever it is it is starting to become less stinky. so im eventually going to give her no canned food & see how she does then.

I don't have any advice for you - just know that you are not alone. Connor has the smelliest poops and farts I have ever encountered - the little guy can empty a room!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Stinky kitty

I just adopted an 8 mo. old stray kitty. I have never smelled any feces so rank in my life. I gave her the Hartz de-wormer, (which helped a little). Then I took her to the vet and got the good stuff. It has been a few days since I gave her the first pill. It still reeks. Does anyone know if it will make a difference when she takes her second pill in a couple of weeks?
    Someone else on here posted that it may be something that they grow out of. I hope so. She exclusively gets dry food and my other cat, ( which is 3 1/2 years old), eats the same but doesn't stink. She has always been an indoor cat though. Is there a possibility that her feces stinks because she was an outdoor kitty?

Since Eleanor does bother to bury, she clears the bathroom or computer room is a heart beat.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

smelly cat

I think it is funny that I set up two litter boxes side by side, but the stinky cat insists on using the older cat's box. Believe me, the older cat is not happy about that OR the new kitten. I'm sure they'll get along eventually. I just pray that the kitten always knows where the litter box is located. The first day I brought her home she did her thing on my extra bed. Thank God it had plastic over the mattress. She spent the rest of her recovery time in the tiled bathroom with short supervised excursions. I don't know if she did that because I could only put paper in the box, if it was because she was in a new environment, if it was because she was still out of it from surgery, or if she was just too used to doing her own thing wherever. I never thought she would do that on the bed though because animals usually don't do that where they sleep and she looked comfy on the bed. Ick! I never want to experience that again. I thought I would be adding to the mess when I tried to clean it up. She most definitely had worms. I specifically asked the people at the Animal Shelter if she had worms, (three times, three different people), and they assured me that it would've been noted. Yeah...Right!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Siamese cat Oliver also has the stinkiest poos you have ever encountered. He has two boxes in the computer room and you can not stand to walk past the door if he has pooed even if the door is closed! He has been wormed for both tapes and other common worms. I wrote on another thread about his awful stinky, mushy poos and someone said he could have another type of parasite. He has an appt to be neutered next Weds 1/19 and I will ask the vet about the possibility of Coccidia or Giardia. He also has the most awful breath. Anyone else have a younger cat with Horrible Breath? If the two aren't related, does anyone have any suggestions? I have checked his teeth and they are pearly white and he only gets dry food. I am also having trouble with this guy pooing on the rug in front of his litter boxes even though I cleaned them out every other day. I am now trying to clean them several times a day and still have problems with him messing on the rug in front of them.

Yes, the water fountains from PetSmart arent real heavy. It's more awkward when they are full of water to carry and move them around. My suggestion is fill the water fountain where it's going to be placed all the time that way it will be easier for you.
    My gang of three loves the fountain.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor