Thread: Injured Rott in pain.

Injured Rott in pain.

My 4 year old Rottweiler, Guiness, tore her knee ligaments in both of her legs. One vet said it would cost just over $6000, and another said around $5000. Readers Digest printed that surgery for this, just the repair (x-rays, anesthetics, etc. would be extra), should cost $383. I'm a nanny and can't afford $5000. If I can't find a cheaper vet, or another alternative to surgery, I'm going to have to put her down. I can't stand to see her in pain, or not be able to play and be happy. If anyone can give me advice, I'd really appreciate it. I live in the Chicago-land area, northeastern Illinois. I can travel to southeastern Wisconsin, and northwestern Indiana. Any help would be great. Thank you. Meara.

Oh no!!!! Have you discussed payment options with your vet? Many will let you pay on a payment plan. Do you have friends or family that can help you out??? This is such a treatable condtion. I can't imagine having to put him down You can try applying with IMOM...."In Memory of Magic" Helping People Help Pets... http://www.imom.org/ They are an organization that helps families in need of financial aid for medical treatment for their pets. Please, contact them! We have a group here on Cape Cod called the Sampson Fund. Participating vets contribute 250.00 per year each and along with private contributions, the org. will pay participating vets the balance of medical fees that needy families cannot cover. Is there anything like that by you? I would try vet after vet to see if anyone would give you a discount and/or allow you to pay on a payment plan. You don't have to do both legs at once. Please let us know if you have any success before you do anything, ok? Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Please check in when you can Meara

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Raustyk, my rott torn her ligaments & had the surgery (cruciate repair) in Jan. 2001, the cost was just about $1500.00 for everything. and She might of just torn the other leg, going in in a couple of weeks for x-rays (i just got into an auto accident & I am still healing but should be able to get her there in a couple few weeks). The price is still around the same give or take a couple hundred.

Now there are different types of surgery for cruciate repairs. Im having brain farts today so i cant remember the correct name for different types of surgeries. But the oldest & cheapest option is where they kind of tie the ligaments together using material simialr to sutures (about $1500 in my area). The newest treatment is where they cut/file the bone & then repair the ligament (this is the one where the cost in my area is about $3000-$4000). I think there is even one or 2 more surgeries they can perform.

there is also 2 different ligament Anterior (not too common) & Cranial (most common). Each requires similar surgery but a little different, the cost for Anterior is unknown to me.

The first option is what i chose for my dog only because of cost, although it has worked great so far knock on wood. This treatment is ok for pet dogs. The option where they actually file away the bone is what i reccomend for soprt/working dogs.

The angle of the knee bones plays a big role in how the ligament works (thats why in the one treatment they file/cut the bone) to make it at a better angle.

Keeping your dog fit & slim helps wonders!!!!!!!!!!!
    Also keep your dog as calm as possible, no walks or runs or rough housing.
    the longer you wait the worse it becomes & the more arthritis starts to set in. A ligament can never ever heal back together (at least the cruciate ligaments in dogs knees anyways)

here is a couple sites w/ info on both types of ligaments:

http://www.acarc.com/ruptured.htm

http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/ccl/

http://www.vetcentric.com/reference/...N=EncycIllness

there are tons of other sites out there too, just do a search youll come across a bunch of info
    good luck
    Last edited by lv4dogs; 02-24-2004 at 09:12 AM.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Try local humane societies. I know they have offered to help me when they thought Layla had parva (s?). They have funds for emergency care and vets that will work with them for a lot less.

ALL WHO WROTE ME

Thanks for all your help. I contacted our animal control, and they contacted a vet who works with them for me. Guiness is currently giving me looks to kill for putting her in a cast, just when the weather is warming up and she can see other dogs outside. A few months and she should be up and running with the others, and hopefully stop doing belly flops on me while I'm trying to sleep. (That's how she lets me know she's mad at me.) Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's her watching t.v.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm glad that you finally were able to find someone.

I love that picture of her and would love to see more if you have them!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

She's beautiful! ^_^ I'm glad you were able to find a way to help her!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!