Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comforters for rescue furkitties

Comforters for rescue furkitties

I am getting a new bed soon (king sized) and will have a few queen comforters that I KNOW my SIL won't want (we're switching beds). I've been giving it alot of thought and decided I'd like to cut them down and make kitty beds out of them.

I want to donate them to a worthy cause. I know alot of you are involved in kitty rescue. If you are interested in these beds, please let me know and I will ship you some.

Please bear with me though, because it'll take me a while to cut them down, stitch them and then save enough money to ship them out.

Do NOT hesitate in raising your hands. I want to do all I can to help the cause. They will be made with alot of love.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Sounds like a WONDERFUL idea, Donna!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

What a great idea.

I am sure that one of the PTers that does rescue will want them.

Your so cool.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

What a beautiful idea. I hope when you are finished making one of the cat beds that you will post a picture for us to see your beautiful handy work.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

FRANTICALLY WAVING HAND!!! My shelter is need!! I will take as many as you can give. I'm not trying to be hoggish so if others need them then that is fine. I just noticed no one had spoken up so I jumped in!!!
    If you are kind enough to take the time to make them then I am certainly willing to pay for the shipping!!

Thanks Donna! No matter where they go there will be a few kitties that will be a little more comfortable.

Gosh, I love this place!!!

Donna, that's a really great idea! Now you have inspired me to do something similar, as I have a few old ones in the cellar - too good to throw out, but they've been laying there for years.

Out with the sewing machine!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

FRANTICALLY WAVING HAND!!! My shelter is need!! I will take as many as you can give.
    No problem!! I have at LEAST 5 comforters. I'm going to make them in different sizes. Any particular size you need???

I'm going to borrow my friend's sewing machine, as I don't have one (never felt the need to buy one as I don't sew much).

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

For my shelter just about any size will do. They have some cages that are big and some that are small. I think on a thread further back the recomended sizes for cat cages were 12 x 12 and
    24 x 24. I made some that were 18 x 18 and they were fine. I made some long and narrow like maybe 12 x 20 and they worked good too. I really don't think it matters because they use anything from old sheets and towels to small donated fur beds. The only thing that really matters is that they are washable!!
    You should have your hands full if you're cutting up five ocmforters! That will make quit a few. I got about 10 from an old queen size mattress pad. All I did with that was just cut it evenly across and down and just used whatever size they came out to be.

Your wonderful for putting all this work into them.

CCL!

I keep popping up on you don't I? Am I following you around the boards?? You gave me a wonderful idea... I have a matress cover I no longer use or need and been wondering what to do with it...then add I am out of batting and BINGO! Thanks for the idea girl! (now, what did I do with it?)

Oh, and by the way, I brought my old ugly comforter home from the boat because I replaced it with a newer garage sale find and I brought it home, just for this too!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

You can follow me anywhere Laura!! I'm so glad your back!!

You guys are too much!! LOL. I haven't had the chance to get my hands on a sewing machine yet. But I PROMISE I will soon!!! Once I do, I'll be sewing like my a$$ is on fire!!

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your patience.

I'll be sewing like my a$$ is on fire!!

ROFLOL!!!

Moonsmom

Check out garage sales for a sewing machine! Any ole clunker that will sew will do the job.. I just have a el-cheap-o from Sears, nothing fancy and that is all I need. Check around and you could find one and who knows, one day you might want to actually make something! Ever seen a rag Quilt?

Okay everybody, I just wanted to let you know that the weekend of March 27th, I'll have my friend's sewing machine and will get busy with the comforters. I've got that whole weekend off and will be able to do the comforters on Sunday (Saturday, Ramanth and I are going to a cat show in Novi, MI)/ If you PM me with your addresses, I'll be able to send them out 2 weeks after that (next pay day).

I been garage saleing today and made out like a bandit on "stuff" for the kitties...Blankets for a DIME! Got two NICE baby pads that you put on the floor to put babies on, planning to cut up and recover....Well, Giz said "NOT"! I couldn't keep her off of them so I reckon I will send exactly like they are (except for washing).One is so soft and silky that the kitties are going to love them... There is one old ratted out blanket that I wanted to cut up and cover, but it is SOOoo soft that I don't know if I want to cover it or not!! May just use it as one side for them to lay on... This guy was selling everything for a dime and giving away a lot of freebies... Got a box of nice coat hangers that I am going to take to the boat and leave for everyone to use...FREE... They are plastic, wire ones don't last out there because they can find to many other uses for them....