Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where'd you get your dog?

Where'd you get your dog?

Just curious.

My mom got her Shih Tzu mix Cocoa from one of her students (she's a teacher) who was getting rid of her. She was 2 when we got her, and now she's 8. I still remember the day we got her - we stopped at petco and bought everything for her, and then at mcdonalds, and her first meal with us was chicken mcnuggets!

Then, after my sister and I realized that Cocoa wasn't exactly the kind of dog *we* wanted (the kind you play fetch with, ect) we looked at different pounds until we found Daphne! She was a 6 month old puppy, and now she's 6 years old. Daphne and Cocoa are best friends. ^_^

Where did you get your dog?

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Both were from breeders.

Both of mine were from a shelter.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

One is from a bad breeder and two are rescues.

I adopted Tasha from the local humane society when she was 8 weeks old, after I had just lost my 12-year-old collie, Cody.

Tommy we got when he was 6 months old after his first family was getting rid of him, someone my brother-in-law knew took him to a golden rescue place. My brother-in-law and his wife really wanted him but they lived in an apartment and couldn't have him. They told my husband all about him and asked if we would want him. We were really hard up on finances at the time, and said we could not afford all his initial vet bills since he would need to be neutered and have his shots, so the in-laws said they would pay for his neutering and shots if we could take him, and so we did, and that is how through multiple people, Tommy was rescued and came to live with us.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Bull came home with Dad one afternoon. His boss was going to have someone take Bull out and shoot him but Dad took him to find him a good home. I fell in love with him and he hasn't left ever since.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

I got Nicki from a stranger I met in Sears! My Cindy had just passed away and we were talking about getting another dog. Mom and I were in Sears and a lady had just bought a million boxes of laundry detergent.... I asked her if she had a lot of kids, and she replied, "no, my dog just had puppies and I'm going through a lot of blankets and towels." We exchanged numbers and a week later, Nicki came home with us!

Here's Kito's story:
    We were researching Shibas, and decided we wanted one. The prices can be outrages for them, as they aren't as abundant as some other breeds, so we had put it out of our minds, and were thinking about a boxer. My mother-in-law was going to a dog show, and at the last minute we decided to go along, and we saw someone showing Shibas. We went over to talk to her, and she told us she had a male and female, 8 months old, that she was trying to sell for a friend. The friend was a fellow breeder/handler/shower, and unfortunately became ill, and could no longer take care of these 2 pups. We took their number, and called the next day. We had decided to take the male, and would be picking him up the following Friday. Without even seeing him, we decided to get him, and we were not disappointed!!!!!

Abbey's story:
    We wanted a playmate for Kito, so we were looking at local rescues and shelters. We went to our spca one day, and saw a beautiful golden, but she was already taken, just waiting for her humans to come and get her. The woman in charge of PAWS, a local no-kill rescue, had our application. On a Friday night, a man named Chris called from beagle rescue. The woman from PAWS had given him our number, after she saw our interest in a PAWS beagle one day. He called and said he thought he had the perfect little girl for us. We went out that night, and fell in love. All of the beagles were sweet, but Abbey just said something to us. Since we had already been approved by PAWS, he let us take her home for a trial run. We signed all of the papers on Monday.

Riley's story:
    We were getting ready to move into our new house, and my husband told me finally that once we were settled in, and the fence was up, we could have a third. Of course, I had to go and look at the spca the following day, which was a Friday--we were set to move on Tuesday. I had taken a good look around for about an hour or so, and I was leaving. As I was getting into my car, I heard a woman yelling something to me. I got out and asked her to repeat herself, and she said, "do you want a puppy?" I immediately said no, because we werent' ready for another dog yet, much less a pup. Well, I saw the little black ball of fur curled up in her arms, and couldn't resist. I asked her a few questions about him (which she didn't really know), and she told me she couldn't keep him because he was such a baby, and whined so much (he was 12 weeks old!!). I put him on my lap and drove straight to my husband's office. I thought he was going to kill me, but he fell in love right away. We got him a checkup right away, and he came home that afternoon.

Jada's story:
    My husband had rotties years ago, but when he moved here, he had to leave them in their happy home, with their fenced yard, and with each other. It wouldn't have been fair to separate them and put them in an apartment. They live with his old roommate, who has since gotten another.
    On our anniversary, we were out driving around, and stopped by PAWS. They had a rottie, but he wasn't there to see, and the woman told us he was a major handful, and would probably be in training for a while before he was adopted out. We took a drive out to the spca, and there, in the second to last kennel, was a beautiful rottie. We asked about her, and they didn't know much, just that she had been dropped in the night deposit the night before. We asked to see her, and they warned us that she had growled at them, but we wanted to check her out anyway. No growling, we got a collar and leash on her, and got her outside. She was so happy!!!!!! My husband fell in love, and we headed home to talk about her. They were closed the following day, but he had put an application in that day. He went out every day until we could bring her home that Wednesday.

Those are our stories!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Simba from the SPCA -- Nala from the Humane Society.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Ruby was adopted from the Humane Society

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

Sadie was from a breeder. But all of my future dogs are going to be from rescues!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Mickey comes from a responsible breeder.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

we got Katie at a petstore.

At the time we didnt know about puppymills. I was only 6 years old when we got her. But our next dog is going to be definatly from a shelter. No doubts

Smokey was from a breeder. I know nothing about the breeder because I was 2 years old when we got him.

Reggie came from a breeder also..well, more or less a litter of puppies. My dad's friend had the mom and Reggie was the only puppy left, nobody wanted him. He was free.

Nebo was also from a breeder.

My next dog will be a sibe from a shelter or rescue.

shadow-the naighbor, well the naighbor found her wandering the ally as a little puppy, and as he already had several large dogs(sheperds, rotties) they could not keep her, so knwoing that we were looking for a dog she was presented to my dad.

happy-a breeder, we had been looking at many differnent border collie pups and just about got an full grown girl that worked on a farm, we had acually came to look at ready a male BC pup, and they said if we were intrested they had a full grown girl out at the farm and they took us up there to see well that dident work out(my mom was to slow and someone else got them) so one day my mom found an add for BC pups for sale, she checked out the breeders website(the ad was at a farm store) and fell in love with a pic of happy at 7 weeks, that night my mom took me out to the breeders place and happy came home with us!

perky-humane society, my mom wanted a flyball dog of her own, so while searching the shelter she found perky, went back later that day with me shadow and happy, and perky came home!

Ripley-humane society, he had been dumped there by the owners naighbor. the naighbor was watching the dog while the owner was sick. and the owner no longer wanted him, and the naighbores did not want him, so we adopted him from the shelter.

Misty-well happy had been retired from flyball(temp) so my mom said I needed to get a new BC lol suprised me but hey no way was I going to argue! so at the same farm store we found out about happy at, we found misty, we called talked to the breeder, told us lots of info, so we went out all the way to weyburn and met the puppys, fell in love with misty(how can you not fall in love with a puppy that falls asleep in your arms, then gets upset when you leave) lol so we put a deposit on her and picked her up on christmas eve last year. the breeder had made all the puppys little christmas bandanas, and all the pups going home that day had been bathed, brushed, and dressed for there new owners! lol

blair-well he was the runt in his litter, and had several problems his breeder(happys breeder) did not plan on sending him to some unsuspecting person, so knowing that we feed raw, and that we were looking for another dog the breeder asked us if we would like to take him, she felt he would benifet from a raw diet, and she likes that we keep our dogs in perfect shape(as some members of the club let there dogs get fat) so home he came with us!
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils