Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cats and the English language

Cats and the English language

Now this might sound a bit strange, but I found out that my cats react more positive to the sound of the English language than to German.

I'm often speaking English with them, because for example after posting on internet message boards or long telephone calls with English-speaking friends, it's sometimes hard to switch back into "German mode". LOL

And I've found out the babies love it! They especially love words such as "kitty", "baby" or "treat", all this sweet talking-stuff.

Actually I think the sound of the German language is often too hard for kitty ears.

Kirsten

That's pretty incredible!!!! I guess the word TREAT does cross the language barrier........hee hee

Well I guess those girls are just practicing their bi-lingual skills!

Well, since both of them have American boyfriends now, they probably have some deep interest in learning their language!

Kirsten

Re: Cats and the English language

Originally posted by Kirsten
    They especially love words such as "kitty", "baby" or "treat",
    Kirsten
    How do you say these words in German?

Re: Re: Cats and the English language

Originally posted by Pam
    How do you say these words in German?
    Maybe I might jump in here with a translation?!
    It's "Mieze" for "Kitty"
    and "Leckerchen" for "treat"...but "baby" is the same, though we would pronounce it a wee different usually...

Nellie likes both languages German and English, but I think there are more lovely nicknames and words for pets in the English Language...like "Sweet Patootie" or "Wittle Face" or something like that and I love to give Nellie "Smoochies" instead of "Küsschen"...

Kirsten, do you think we are a little strange?! Hahaha...
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

One of the funnier stories in Whats Michael , is where Japanese Cat Sitters cant get an American Cat to use the Litter Box , because he doesnt speak Japanese , and they quite cant get him to understandjust where they want him to go. If you are not familiar with Whats Michael , it is an excellent Japanese comic strip , about an Orange Tabby , Michael , and is excellent.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

This is slightly related but made me think of something so funny! We lived in Germany for three years - Missy was actually born there - and I can remember one of my older boys wanting to know how cats and dogs spoke German!! Guess they figured it would come out sounding differently?? Like, how does a German kitty say "Meow"??
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 02-07-2004 at 10:02 AM.

Filou and Tigris don't hear much English but of course they love sweet talk
    But some things like "Sweetieboy" and "Temptations" they understand very well

BTW for the German speaking: In this household, treats are "Katzenbonbons" and a cat can easily be called "Zaubermaus" So you see we are crazy in any language.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    A long time ago I read somewhere or heard somewhere that cats like "EEE" sounds and that they were more apt to respond to names or words with EEE sounds in them or higher-pitched sounds. I don't know where I heard/read this but it does seem to prove true.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Interesting thought. German does have a little sharpness to it than English or French doesn’t have. Our cats respond well to softly talking to them when they are snuggling. They seem to purr louder when they are being talked to.
    Randy

Re: Re: Re: Cats and the English language

Originally posted by bisi.cat

Nellie likes both languages German and English,
    I think Trevor and Nellie broke the language barrier on the kitty cruise. Head bumpies and mutual grooming need no words, just maybe a full moon to set the stage!

(By the way, thanks for the translation!)

Kirsten, do you think we are a little strange?! Hahaha...
    Ha ha ha!!! We probably are! I remember when I had my mother and her fiancé here for breakfast, Lily jumped onto the table and I told her "Get down!" LOL You should have seen their faces, because they don't speak English and they probably thought I've lost my mind now. But I swear it's a fact that Lily is much more reacting to a "get down" than to the German equivalent, "runter da." That sounds too rude, I guess.

sirrahbed, the German version of "meow" is "miau", pronounciation is more or less the same. That's so funny your boy has asked you that, but I heard that for example birds of the same breed are "speaking" different dialects when living in different areas, so why not cats?
    Where in Germany did you live btw? Just curious.

RedHedd, you're right, I heard the same about the eee-sound. This is one of the reasons why pets love baby talk, and why there should be an eee-sound in their name. The English language has a lot of these sounds also.

And like Randy_K has said, there is some sharpness in the German language, also, many words are longer.

"Treat" for example can also be translated as "Leckerli" or "Belohnung", and "kitty" as "Kätzchen".

Kirsten

I hadn't thought about cats prefering one over the other but I guess it does make sense.

I have probably never thought about it because I am so language deprived that I think I am lucky that I can speak English.

Kristen, have you tried to speak to a cat in english that has not every heard it before? I wonder if the reaction would be differnet then your two that have grown up with both. Just a thought.

Interesting topic though, thanks.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Originally posted by CatDad

Kristen, have you tried to speak to a cat in english that has not every heard it before? I wonder if the reaction would be differnet then your two that have grown up with both. Just a thought.
    Not yet, but next week I will care for my parents' cat and dog, I'll try to find out, but they love me anyway!

Kirsten