Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Banning docking of tails......in nz....

Look at how adorable this Dobie is with ALL natural ears and tail!

Absolutely beautiful!

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Originally posted by Foam
    Oh..haha once again I am lost.

Ear cropping is normally only done for showing dogs, but when it is done only for appearance (as Ashley said) I think it's cruel. It doesn't effect the dog's hearing though.
    So what is the difference? Isn't it done on show dogs for the sake of appearance? How can it be a breed standard if it is done surgically? Shouldn't breed standards be how the breed is naturally? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I don't believe in ear cropping or tail docking. In my opinion, the argument made that they could have a future injury to their tail is ridiculous. It is the equivilent of amputating everyones big toe because one day some people might stub it and it could get infected.

Originally posted by clara4457
    So what is the difference? Isn't it done on show dogs for the sake of appearance? How can it be a breed standard if it is done surgically? Shouldn't breed standards be how the breed is naturally? Makes absolutely no sense to me.
    I TOTALLY AGREE!

I hate tail docking and ear cropping with a passion. IMO, dogs look much better without it.

I'm sure ear cropping is painful after surgery, and complications can occur. I think any "disfiguring" to a dog is unnecessary, besides spaying and neutering of course.

I think people should just keep the natural look, its way cuter, and less painful.

Dogs such as Border Collies, Aussies, and other dogs get their tails docked as pups because they can get so pumped up they can actually injure the tail.
    So, please keep us updated if anything happens.
    I've never heard of border collies getting docked as puppies to prevent tail injuries. ??

And most aussies are born with natural bobbed tails, no docking involved.

There are many many breeds that are prone to "happy tail" great danes, and grey hounds being two of them, and they are not normally docked breeds.

That being said. I am not against either tail docking or ear cropping. Yes it is for looks only. But I like how it looks.

I can't help but find it upsetting that we mutilate a creature because we like how it looks. It isn't like cutting their hair a certain way, or their nails. We are cutting through their flesh and bone, for no other reason other than for looks...

I really really try to be open minded on issues, but this one I just can't. We are slicing off pieces of their body for a look. It's not like spaying or neutering that prevents unwanted puppies and reduces risk of cancer, etc.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I totally agree! Like I said, it's very vain to do it just because "you like how it looks". I find that very disturbing. Maybe we need to move this to the dog house.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

How are they going to show the dogs that need their ears cropped in show if they ban ear cropping?
    Then the shows in NZ will allow animals with natural tails and ears to be entered in shows.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I agree with K9soul,
    If their is a legitimate reason for docking the tail
    that is not cosmetic, than it does not bother me.

Cosmetic reasons for ears and tail, I say, go natural.

----<---<--<{(@

Clara-- It isn't the breed standard, it's the way the breed is shown. For apperance in the /show ring./
    Shelteez-- Border Collie Rescue in Arizona has docked a few tails due to injury. I've seen plenty of Border Collies with docked tails.
    Carole-- I see. That's good.

It's not like I'm against natural ways, I'm just trying to explain the way it is in the show ring, and the standards there.

I see nothing wrong with docking or cropping. Yes, it is a procedure done for looks, the show ring, n' for the protection of some breeds.

I see no reason in trying to change something that is done in so many breeds for so many years....I just can't see it happening.

Docking is done when a puppy is around 3 to 4 days of age. Cropping is done at around 7-9weeks...depending on the weight n' size of the puppy.

I got my Dobermans ears cropped at 8 weeks. When he came home he was in NO pain at ALL. The post may bother them for a while, but they get use to it. I don't see were this is a cruel or mean practice at all, but then that is MY opinion.

That being said....I like the looks of cropping n' docking. I just don't see a group of people trying to change everyone's minds about the procedure.

Originally posted by K9soul
    There are some legitimate reasons for tail docking, I guess especially on some sporting/hunting breeds, but if it isn't going to serve a specific function I would rather see a natural tail.

Ear cropping I totally don't like or agree with.

I agree.

The old docking/cropping debate again. Here's my two cents worth ....

Tail docking is done at a VERY young age. I've seen it done, plenty of times. It is done before the cartlidge in the tail hardens. It is NOT torture or agony. It is just like getting a human baby boy circumcised. Not totally medically necessary, but not cruel and evil, either. And done so quickly at such a young age that it is forgotten in less than a minute.

There ARE legitimate reasons for docking tails, although most is done for cosmetic reasons. Some hunting dogs, terriers, some herding dogs have all traditionally had their tails docked for real, working reasons.

I own eight dogs that "should" have their tails docked, according to tradition or breed standard - a cocker spaniel, an ACD, and six terriers. Of the eight, only four have actually had their tails docked, all before I got them. I like the look of docked tails on my terriers MUCH better than natural tails. However, I don't like it so much that I would cut off one of their tails as adults. I'm glad they had it done as puppies, though. And I'm SO glad that my cocker had her tail done. Sorry, a cocker with a tail looks like a mutt to me.

And another thing I'd like to mention ... tail docking does NOT mean cutting the dog's tail completely off. It mean shortening the tail. My dogs with cropped tails all have tails, they are simply a few inches shorter than the dogs with natural tails. If you ever see a dog whose docked tail is pretty much gone, then the vet doing the crop did not know what he was doing. Dogs with docked tails still have tails, just shorter tails.

Getting a puppy's tail docked is like getting a baby's ears pierced. It's purely cosmetic, and the baby cries for a minute. Right? Same with puppies. Are you a cruel and mean parent if you get your baby's ears pierced? No.

Now ear cropping is a different story, IMO. It is a much more involved, painful procedure with a much higher risk of infection, done when the puppy is much older, or even adult. There is NO legimate reason for cropping a dog's ears, except for them to be a fighting dog. And that is the most horrible reason of all.

Where I made an analogy between docking a puppy's tail and piercing a baby's ears, I believe I could also make an analogy between cropping a dog's ears and having half of your baby's ears cut off so she could look like Spock on Star-Trek.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Shelteez-- Border Collie Rescue in Arizona has docked a few tails due to injury. I've seen plenty of Border Collies with docked tails.
    Oh I've seen dogs that had their tails docked due to injuries. I'd just never heard of a border collie as being a breed where it was done as a puppy to prevent injury...

well Jasper's tail is docked obviously, I dont have anything against it personally, he never gets his tail caught in the door , I think its all part of some breeds "look" I dont have a problem with it!

Also something about ear cropping, well its illeagal here, BUT Jasper has perminant(sp?) ear infection, always goes away but always comes back, always needs ear dops, which the vet & breeder says he would NOT have if his ears were cropped, but I do not like ear cropping it is MUCH more painfull, takes 6 months or so to heal and it 100% for looks.

But no problem with docking...

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!