Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dobermans?

Dobermans?

As most of you are aware of, Josh and I are going to get another dog. We've been going back and forth with breeds, but a Doberman has always been in the back of our minds. I've secretly wanted one since I was younger, but my parents never had a Dobie on their list. Anyway, Josh and I have been doing a lot of talking and a lot of research, and we've nearly come to the conclusion that a Dobie is definitely what we want.

However, I would like all the information I can get from anyone here that has had experience with the breed...owner or not. I've met a few Dobies at the beach I take Moosey too, and have yet to meet one I don't like. I've never really seen myself as a Dobie owner, but the more I learn about the them and the more stories I hear, the more I find myself falling in love the with breed.

There is actually a Doberman breeder not too far away, and I am planning on calling out there to see if Josh and I could stop by and meet their dogs...just to get a better "feel" for a Dobie.

Any other suggestions/comments/info??

Breed rescue! Other than that, I have heard only good things about them as pets. Some are one-person dogs, but others love everyone - varies dog to dog! Oh, and leave the ears floppy, please, if you get a pup! Sweet floppy dobie ears!

I agree on the rescue suggestion I've seen some purebred Dobies come through my shelter [also lots of mixes]. I think they are adorable and loving. I've never had a bad experience with one.

If there are no Doberman rescues in your area, the national rescues are pretty good about safely shipping dogs to you - or they may have one in foster near you.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Don't worry, a rescue is at the top of my list. Josh and I are planning on getting a dog after we move to out to California in a few months, so we are hoping there will be a Dobie Rescue nearby...or at least a rescue with a Dobie.

Don't worry Karen, I'm not a huge fan of the cropped ear look...although if I find that "right" pup without natural ears, you'll just have to settle.

The good thing about Cali is it has a TON of rescues!!!

There are a couple in this list in Cali and a couple nationwide

http://www.creatures.com/USBRCD.html#Doberman
    Alyson

Thanks so much for the link, Aly!!

There is apparently a Doberman rescue right in San Diego...the site didn't work for me, but at least I have the name.

Check this out:

http://www.aztecdpc.com/rescue/

They have available Dobies in San Diego and link to other rescues in Southern California.
    Alyson

I babysit a few dobermans. From a good breeder they're great. From a not so good one, well....they are good, but get on my nerves. LOL And from a rescue, well they'd be great too

Meet Mason and Ginger. They are great dogs, but they have perfected that doberman whine, a high pitched peepng sound they make without opening their mouths...that's what tends to get on my nerves. Other than that they are great dogs.

Now meet Bergerac and Purdy, the sweetest dobes in the whole world. I took care of them back in December.

Thanks again, Aly! That is the exact site I wanted!

I've already fallen in love with this beautiful blue girl...

I don't know how I'm going to wait this long before being able to really get into a search, there is always a dog I want...I need to move out there soon! lol.

Thanks for the info and pictures, Shelteez...I'm so jealous, I wish we had more Dobermans around here.

Best of luck to you in your search. I know how hard it is to wait. I have to wait until I leave Germany (3 years) to get another dog!

My mother used to be owned by 2 dobbermans. She loved them both dearly and said they were the best dogs she ever had. A very beautiful and regal breed.

I had a Doberman once. Makes a great companion! My hawk was very sweet!

Have aluck with searching a great dobie

I think dobies are great pets and they love to be with people

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

My sister had a dobe when she was younger (we grew up apart) named Sam. He was such a big baby, sweet as can be. She still talks about Sam and misses him to this day.

Good luck in finding your new baby when the time comes
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Aww Brooke, what a breed of dog you picked out. My uncle has owned two and they are just gorgeous, sweet dogs. They have both been very loyal and obediant with him. Oh and they have the softest ears! Here's a pic I managed to get of Princess.

Good luck!

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I have been owned by two Dobies. They are wonderful, intelligent and loving dogs.
    First was Prince who, sadly, was sent across the RB before he reached a year old. (I don't have a picture of him)

Then there was my beloved Max .....

This morning, during my on-going clutter clear out I found a Dobe window sticker that I bought not long before Max went to the RB, which will be sixteen years ago tommorow. Then when I come on Pet Talk you are asking about Dobes, odd don`t you think?

p.s. I haven't thrown the sticker out, I put it on the window, not really sure why ... anyway, I think I will take a pic and attach.
    Attached Images Attached Images